KH-11 forever?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 11th 09, 02:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Allen Thomson

Default KH-11 forever?

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2009/06/09/fe...site-spy-sats/

Feinstein Slams New Spy Sats
By Colin Clark Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 12:20 pm

UPDATED: Congressional Aide Says Huge Fight On Between Senate Intel
Committee and IC, DoD Over EO System. It May Get Killed. IC Source
Rebuts Feinstein.

The chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence expressed
“extraordinarily serious concern” that the intelligence community and
Pentagon may repeat the disaster of the Future Imagery Architecture
system and made clear to Gates that there is bipartisan support on her
committee for questioning the electro-optical system President Barack
Obama recently approved.

“We have extraordinarily serious concerns involving the waste of many,
many dollars over a period of years and are rather determined it not
happen again,” said Sen. Diane Feinstein, who is also a member of the
Senate Appropriation defense subcommittee. Feinstein said she and Sen.
Kit Bond, a Republican who shares the same committee assignments,
shares her concerns about the EO system.

“We also have information that the lesser tier can also be as capable
and have a stealth capability,” Feinstein said.

An intelligence community source familiar with the technical issues at
issue rejected Feinstein’s claims. “I think there are no real
shortcuts to high performance although such claims are made. I really
think you should point out that the ‘exquisite’ proposal is just the
fifth updating of a system flown for 33 years,” the source said.

A congressional aide contacted after the hearing said there is a “huge
philosophical difference raging” between members of the Senate intel
committee and the intelligence community. This aide said the Senate
body is convinced that the lesser system could handle much of what
needs doing and is concerned that “that the last few percent [in
improvements] drive the large costs.”

Enormous quantities of cash are at stake in this debate since the best
estimates I’ve heard for the exquisite system indicate it will suck up
at least $10 billion over the next three to five years.

Feinstein said technical advisors to her committee had said the lower
resolution system could do the job just as well as the exquisite
system.

Gates said he had approved the exquisite system because it is “needed
by the intelligence community.” But he also conceded that he approved
the lower tier system “because there is some schedule and technical
risk associated with the upper tier.”

Feinstein made clear she did not want to see a repeat of the FIA
fiasco: “To make a mistake once or twice is alright, but to continue
to make that mistake does not make sense.”