50-page brochure (Russian and English) about Progress M50

Old August 11th 04, 03:08 PM
Jim Oberg

Default 50-page brochure (Russian and English) about Progress M50

FYI:

A very handsome 50-page brochure (Russian and English) about Progress M50
and background
can be downloaded in pdf form from
http://www.federalspace.ru/video/Progress_M50_www.pdf

Specific mission details (in Russian) can be read at
http://www.federalspace.ru/Start1Show.asp?STARTID=574

JimO
www.jamesoberg.com

Old August 11th 04, 06:32 PM
Jeff Findley

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
FYI:

A very handsome 50-page brochure (Russian and English) about Progress M50
and background
can be downloaded in pdf form from
http://www.federalspace.ru/video/Progress_M50_www.pdf

Thanks for the link.

It sounds like those "DVD's and magazines" that the popular press reffered
to are listed in the payload as part of this:

Crew support complex/hardware elements
(flight data files, 3 packages for the crew members,
video and photographic
material) .............................................23 kg

Since "video and photographic material" are listed last, I'm guessing that
DVD's and magazines don't make up the bulk of that 23 kg.

Jeff

Old August 11th 04, 10:41 PM
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

Since "video and photographic material" are listed last, I'm guessing that
DVD's and magazines don't make up the bulk of that 23 kg.

In 4-5 kg I imagine you could fit at least 6 medium sized magazines
(SI, Time) and an equal number of DVD's.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old August 12th 04, 02:21 PM
Jeff Findley

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote:

Since "video and photographic material" are listed last, I'm guessing

that
DVD's and magazines don't make up the bulk of that 23 kg.

In 4-5 kg I imagine you could fit at least 6 medium sized magazines
(SI, Time) and an equal number of DVD's.

I'm really surprised that Bob was bitching about this, considering it's such
a small part of the Progress payload. The Russians have had a long standing
tradition of sending up such morale boosting personal items to their space
stations, so I'm sure they think it's worth the weight.

Jeff

Old August 12th 04, 02:30 PM
bob haller

I'm really surprised that Bob was bitching about this, considering it's such
a small part of the Progress payload. The Russians have had a long standing
tradition of sending up such morale boosting personal items to their space
stations, so I'm sure they think it's

Not really as complaint, under normal circumstances I wouldnt of brought it up.
But given the tight supply situation perhaps a space suit part might have been
a better choice?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old August 12th 04, 02:43 PM
Jeff Findley

"bob haller" wrote in message

I'm really surprised that Bob was bitching about this, considering it's

such
a small part of the Progress payload. The Russians have had a long

standing
tradition of sending up such morale boosting personal items to their

space
stations, so I'm sure they think it's

Not really as complaint, under normal circumstances I wouldnt of brought

it up.
But given the tight supply situation perhaps a space suit part might have

been
a better choice?

As Derek said in his replies, when times are tough, these morale boosting
materials are *more* important.

With weight at a premium on the LEM, you still thought that hitting a golf
ball on the moon was worth it. On such a short trip, the need for this (in
terms of morale) would be far less than on a six month stay on ISS.

Jeff

Old August 12th 04, 06:49 PM
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

Since "video and photographic material" are listed last, I'm guessing
that DVD's and magazines don't make up the bulk of that 23 kg.

In 4-5 kg I imagine you could fit at least 6 medium sized magazines
(SI, Time) and an equal number of DVD's.

I'm really surprised that Bob was bitching about this, considering it's such
a small part of the Progress payload.

bob goes out of his way sometimes to find things to bitch about. But
this really does fit his pattern.

The Russians have had a long standing tradition of sending up such morale
boosting personal items to their space stations, so I'm sure they think it's
worth the weight.

However bob is more interested in the appearance (replacing badly
needed supplies with luxury items) than the reality ('luxury' items
that help keep the crew sane).

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old August 12th 04, 07:23 PM
Jeff Findley

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
However bob is more interested in the appearance (replacing badly
needed supplies with luxury items) than the reality ('luxury' items
that help keep the crew sane).

You've nailed it. I think I'll start calling him Shallow Bob, so I'll never
forget his motivation.

Jeff

Old August 14th 04, 10:21 PM
hop

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message ...
FYI:

A very handsome 50-page brochure (Russian and English) about Progress M50
and background
can be downloaded in pdf form from
http://www.federalspace.ru/video/Progress_M50_www.pdf

Specific mission details (in Russian) can be read at
http://www.federalspace.ru/Start1Show.asp?STARTID=574

JimO
www.jamesoberg.com

Nice find.

Far more interesting than the fact the ISS crew get magazines and DVDs
to me was the Soyuz LV upgrade timeline. While the aurora/onega stuff
seems likely to be viewgraph engineering, the Soyuz 2A and 2B and
perhaps the Kourou pad seem to be fairly firm. Anyone know if this is
true, or just more 'if we had the money' dreaming ?

Incidently, the Soyouz 2B gives an extra 1000kg to LEO from Baikonur,
which should be plenty for extra heat sheild that the seemingly
implausible CSI http://www.constellationservices.com/ plan would
require. Hmmm...

It is also interesting to see the same LV gets about 2.5x the payload
to geostationary from Kourou compaired Baikonur. That should provide
an attractive option for medium sized GEO sats.
Old August 14th 04, 10:39 PM
Christopher M. Jones

hop wrote:
Incidently, the Soyouz 2B gives an extra 1000kg to LEO from Baikonur,
which should be plenty for extra heat sheild that the seemingly
implausible CSI http://www.constellationservices.com/ plan would
require. Hmmm...

I was under the impression that the Soyuz had lower
performance now than it used to, as the Soviets used
to use Sintin rather than stock Kerosene. The
Russians ran out of money to keep Sintin production
running sometime in the mid '90s.

Pres. Kerry's NASA ed kyle Policy 354 March 11th 04 08:05 PM
Jonathan's Space Report No. 509, 18-09-2003 Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 4 September 23rd 03 08:27 AM
Jonathan's Space Report No. 509, 18-09-2003 Jacques van Oene Space Station 4 September 23rd 03 08:27 AM