Northern Canada meteor caught on film--1960's--70's

Old March 13th 06, 11:19 PM posted to sci.astro

Default Northern Canada meteor caught on film--1960's--70's

I've tried to get more specific info off the internet about the
incident, but couldn't. The film shot was from a super 8

My question is, there have been estimates that the meteor was
300 feet across. I was wondering how they came to that conclusion.
Because they could see the nucleous?

Old March 14th 06, 02:39 AM posted to sci.astro

frank wight wrote:

I've tried to get more specific info off the internet about the
incident, but couldn't. The film shot was from a super 8

My question is, there have been estimates that the meteor
was 300 feet across. I was wondering how they came to
that conclusion. Because they could see the nucleous?

Hello, Frank!

I think I know which event you refer to. Not northern
Canada, but the northern US and southern Canada:

In mid-day, August 10, 1972, a bright meteor was seen and
photographed from Utah to Alberta, Canada. The meteoroid,
estimated to be the size of a house, is the only one known
to enter and then leave Earth's atmosphere.

It was visible for something like 20 minutes as it moved
northward, and photographed by dozens or even hundreds of
people. I think the super 8 film was made in Utah.

An article about it appeared in the October 1972 issue of
Astronomy magazine, if I recall correctly. If Astronomy
didn't exist yet, it must have been Sky & Telescope.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Old October 1st 06, 12:28 PM posted to sci.astro
Robert Teague

An article about it appeared in the October 1972 issue of
Astronomy magazine, if I recall correctly. If Astronomy
didn't exist yet, it must have been Sky & Telescope.

It was S&T. I remember having that issue.

The article included a series of frames from the film, and a map of
the meteor's track.

You might want to check with Sky Publishing, and see if the issue
is still available.
---
Robert

"I'm a creature of the night, doomed to a family of morning people."
--Samantha "Sam" Manson