SS1 propellant load

Old May 21st 04, 04:16 AM
Ian

Default SS1 propellant load

Does anyone happen to know if Spaceship One made its most recent flight with
a full load of propellant, or what fraction thereof? Obviously this would
have substantial implications on their ability to go the last seven miles,
and also the upper operating limits of the system.

Any ideas, anyone?

-- Ian

Old May 21st 04, 03:02 PM
Joe Strout

In article ,
"Ian" wrote:

Does anyone happen to know if Spaceship One made its most recent flight with
a full load of propellant, or what fraction thereof? Obviously this would
have substantial implications on their ability to go the last seven miles,
and also the upper operating limits of the system.

I could be wrong in this, but my understanding is that the last two
flights (at least) have been with a full propellant load. The flights
are short because they're intended to be -- they're expanding the
envelope gradually -- not because they run out of fuel.

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |
Old May 21st 04, 09:05 PM
Allen Thomson

Joe Strout wrote

I could be wrong in this, but my understanding is that the last two
flights (at least) have been with a full propellant load. The flights
are short because they're intended to be -- they're expanding the
envelope gradually -- not because they run out of fuel.

So did they carry ballast, or fly an energy-wasting profile?
Old May 22nd 04, 03:08 AM
Joe Strout

In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:

No, they shut the motor off when they'd fired it as long as the flight
plan called for.

So they'r happy landing loaded?

Why not? It's just rubber and laughing gas. It's not explosive.

Old May 22nd 04, 03:40 AM
Scott Lowther

Joe Strout wrote:

In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:

No, they shut the motor off when they'd fired it as long as the flight
plan called for.

So they'r happy landing loaded?

Why not? It's just rubber and laughing gas. It's not explosive.

Yes, but it's heavy. However, if the SS1 can slam into the runway fully
loaded and not break it's landing gear... that's the sign of a good
design.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old May 22nd 04, 09:21 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Scott Lowther wrote in message ...
Joe Strout wrote:

In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:

No, they shut the motor off when they'd fired it as long as the flight
plan called for.
So they'r happy landing loaded?

Why not? It's just rubber and laughing gas. It's not explosive.

Yes, but it's heavy. However, if the SS1 can slam into the runway fully
loaded and not break it's landing gear... that's the sign of a good
design.

It's also better to not waste too much effort testing
configurations that are dissimilar from the actual flight
configuration. Here, they are testing the full up system
and simply exploring the flight envelope.

Once they do win the X-Prize, and I'm confident (Hop
David, pay attention!) that they will, it'll be interesting
to look back and consider how many flights they made with
an X-Prize capable vehicle before actually hitting 100 km.
Old May 22nd 04, 08:22 PM
Hop David

Christopher M. Jones wrote:

Once they do win the X-Prize, and I'm confident (Hop
David, pay attention!) that they will, it'll be interesting
to look back and consider how many flights they made with
an X-Prize capable vehicle before actually hitting 100 km.

I'd place my bets on them winning too. But it's sure the hell not your
confidence that persuades me this is a good bet.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html