'Oumuamua

Old November 27th 17, 07:44 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Richard D. Saam

Default 'Oumuamua

'Oumuamua has a rotation period of 8.1 hours,
similar to Kuiper Belt objects
implying a common origin
in the vast depths of interstellar/intergalactic space.
RDS

[[Mod. note -- I don't think the implication is quite that strong.
Oumuamua clearly isn't Rama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama
(which was said to have a 4 minute rotation period), but it's hardly
implausible that some bodies originating in different places might
have roughly similar rotation periods.
-- jt]]
Old November 27th 17, 10:07 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Martin Brown[_3_]

On 27/11/2017 06:44, Richard D. Saam wrote:
'Oumuamua has a rotation period of 8.1 hours,
similar to Kuiper Belt objects
implying a common origin
in the vast depths of interstellar/intergalactic space.
RDS

[[Mod. note -- I don't think the implication is quite that strong.
Oumuamua clearly isn't Rama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama
(which was said to have a 4 minute rotation period), but it's hardly
implausible that some bodies originating in different places might
have roughly similar rotation periods.
-- jt]]

One thing that puzzled me about it was that the light curve was entirely
attributed to a highly elongated shape uniform albedo. What prevents it
from being a more rounded shape but with a large variation in albedo?
(except possibly that maintaining white ice requires precipitation)

Or is an object in space for so long likely to pick up surface muck and
rubbish that is inevitably pretty uniform over the entire surface.

I presume they have done time resolved spectroscopy on it and not
detected anything other than the same sort of surface material?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old November 27th 17, 10:07 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Richard D. Saam

On 11/27/17 12:44 AM, Richard D. Saam wrote:
'Oumuamua has a rotation period of 8.1 hours,
similar to Kuiper Belt objects
implying a common origin
in the vast depths of interstellar/intergalactic space.
RDS

[[Mod. note -- I don't think the implication is quite that strong.
Oumuamua clearly isn't Rama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama
(which was said to have a 4 minute rotation period), but it's hardly
implausible that some bodies originating in different places might
have roughly similar rotation periods.
-- jt]]

Arthur C. Clarke visions always had an aspect of truth.
His((with Stanley Kubrick) computer human conflict in
2001: A Space Odyssey
is surely applicable to today.
Arthur may have liked the analogy to Rama
in the Hawaiian name 'Oumuamua
-"reflecting the way this object
is like a scout or messenger sent
from the distant past to reach out to us"
Apparently several of these interstellar objects
travel within the orbit of the Earth several times per year,
thus providing possible opportunities for study.
In the mean time it interesting to note
that the ~8 hour time period
has been observed from separate perspectives:
1. Kuiper Belt object rotations
2. Asteroid rotations (not as good a correlation due to collisions
possibly modifying their original 8 hr periods)
3. Lisa Pathfinder accelerometer oscillations (1/8 hrs)
(A Machian oscillating universe)
4. Gravity Probe B anomalous gyro oscillations (1/8 hrs)
5. Solar oscillations (1/8 hrs)
6. Distant stellar oscillation observed by the Planck space craft

This data all point to a possible inherent property
of interstellar/intergalactic space.

Such a coherent space property (nu~1/8 hrs)
would necessarily define an extremely low temperature(T).
T = h*nu/k ~ 10^-16 K
What are the implications for 'dark matter' and 'dark energy'?

RDS

Old November 27th 17, 10:08 PM posted to sci.astro.research
John Heath

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 1:44:32 AM UTC-5, Richard D. Saam wrote:
'Oumuamua has a rotation period of 8.1 hours,
similar to Kuiper Belt objects
implying a common origin
in the vast depths of interstellar/intergalactic space.
RDS
=20
[[Mod. note -- I don't think the implication is quite that strong.
Oumuamua clearly isn't Rama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama
(which was said to have a 4 minute rotation period), but it's hardly
implausible that some bodies originating in different places might
have roughly similar rotation periods.
-- jt]]

Not many natural occurring events produce a cigar shape. If someone
wanted to snoop around our solar system to see what the odd RF emissions
are about then Oumuamua trajectory would about right to accomplish
this. A 4 minute rotation would be a nice scan rate for broad band RF
sensors. They could be here to ask how to decode the meaning of life
from the Chuck Barrie song we sent. I would not want to be the one that
answers that question.