(OT) Saying Goodbye Is Never Easy

Old March 27th 05, 12:40 AM
Richard DeLuca

Default (OT) Saying Goodbye Is Never Easy

I come here to relax, and to share experience and knowledge with my
fellows. And I've been a member since 1994, almost from the beginning.
Unfortunately, I no longer find it relaxing, and the last couple of days
have made me realize that it's often more pain than joy around here
anymore.

For the majority of you, thanks for the help, the laughs, and all the
other pleasant memories. I'm going to miss many of you. For the rest-
remember that no matter what your political stripes, fataticism
(especially the hurtful kind) gives most of us a heartache.

Starry Skies,
Rich

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes)
Old March 27th 05, 02:08 AM
Amyotte

Keep lurking.

I have another hobby, pinball machines that has turned similar to what you
see. I lurk and sometimes add words of wisdom. Your wisdom is always
welcomed. Tune out maybe, turn off NO

Brian

news

Old March 27th 05, 07:45 AM
Davoud

Richard DeLuca:
I come here to relax, and to share experience and knowledge with my
fellows. And I've been a member since 1994..., almost from the beginning.

That's not possible. This is not a private club for a self-appointed
elite; there is no membership here. There are only participants.

Unfortunately, I no longer find it relaxing, and the last couple of days
have made me realize that it's often more pain than joy around here
anymore.

I feel your pain, forced as you are to read every thread.

For the majority of you, thanks for the help, the laughs, and all the
other pleasant memories. I'm going to miss many of you. For the rest-
remember that no matter what your political stripes, fataticism
(especially the hurtful kind) gives most of us a heartache.

Oh, puh-leez, leave if you will, but spare us the maudlin melodrama.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig *dawt* com
Old March 27th 05, 08:10 AM
Jim Walling

Hey Davoud, whats your email? I have some comments for you but there may be
minors reading this group so I'd like to keep it between us.

Old March 27th 05, 08:28 AM
Davoud

Jim Walling:
Hey Davoud, whats your email? I have some comments for you but there may be
minors reading this group so I'd like to keep it between us.

My post -- the one to which you replied -- includes a valid e-mail
address, as does this one.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig *dawt* com
Old March 27th 05, 08:50 AM

Not again!
This NG is no different from real life. (in many ways)
Do you stop and listen to every conversation in the street, at work or
while shopping?
Do you stand transifixed as some soapbox lunatic berates the crowd on
his theory of everything? Or do you cheer and heckle him by turns for
his blatant idiocy?
Do you read every word that passes in front of you all day long?
Genteel mens' clubs are for those able to afford privacy and quiet. But
can you afford the boredom?
When the noise here rises to a dull roar you either raise your own
voice or stand closer to those with something interesting to say.
Shutting off, as best you can, what is happening all around you. Just
like you would in the pub, club or canteen.
Stop trying to set rules of behaviour for all. Leave that to the
worthless politicians, jobsworths and dictators.
This is a noisy club for those with a common interest. The only thing
we have in common is the faded label on the door.
Nobody ever arrives at our portal without some baggage.
And nobody ever really leaves. (Eagles)

Regards
Chris.B

Old March 27th 05, 02:39 PM
RMOLLISE

Richard DeLuca wrote:
I come here to relax, and to share experience and knowledge with my
fellows. And I've been a member since 1994, almost from the

beginning.
Unfortunately, I no longer find it relaxing, and the last couple of

days
have made me realize that it's often more pain than joy around here
anymore.

For the majority of you, thanks for the help, the laughs, and all the

other pleasant memories. I'm going to miss many of you. For the

rest-
remember that no matter what your political stripes, fataticism
(especially the hurtful kind) gives most of us a heartache.

Starry Skies,
Rich

Hi Rich:

I always hate to see another old timer leave. Maybe you should just
consider taking a break. Things ain't really so bad here. Sure, there's
Little Danny Knucklehead...but does "1996" ring a bell? Remember how
lousy this group was with 12th Planet (or was that 13th Planet?)
postings for well over a year. I have recently gone through a period
where I didn't care to post or read here quite as often...but I _want
my s.a.a._ now, again. Hope to see you back after a suitable interval.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Author of:_Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope_
http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old March 27th 05, 02:50 PM
RMOLLISE

Davoud wrote:
Richard DeLuca:
[...]

Hi Davoud:

You have made some positive contributions here during the time--a year
or two?--you've been posting. However, instead of pinging on Richard,
who's done a huge amount to further this newsgroup, obviously far more
than you have in part due to his longevity, over the last decade, maybe
you should be asking how much _you've_ contributed. I certainly find it
amusing that you lecture _him_ on what Usenet is. ;-)

I enjoy reading most of your posts, no doubt about that, but, frankly,
a LOT of them, especially lately, seem to fall into two categories: off
topic and those which seem expressly designed to cause dissension by
means of advertising your personal views on subjects like politics and
other divisive topics.

If you're genuinely interested in politics, the place to go with that
is a group like alt.fan.rush-limbaugh (which, despite the name, is
devoted to general right/left political debate). There are similar
groups devoted to topics like religion (talk.origins), and quite a few
where OS debate is the subject of the day.

What we want here is _the practice of astronomy_. One of your most
recent articles, for example, strays all too close to good, old
fashioned trolling, I fear. :-(

Old March 27th 05, 07:28 PM
Richard DeLuca

In article .com,
"RMOLLISE" wrote:

Hi Rich:

I always hate to see another old timer leave. Maybe you should just
consider taking a break. Things ain't really so bad here. Sure, there's
Little Danny Knucklehead...but does "1996" ring a bell? Remember how
lousy this group was with 12th Planet (or was that 13th Planet?)
postings for well over a year. I have recently gone through a period
where I didn't care to post or read here quite as often...but I _want
my s.a.a._ now, again. Hope to see you back after a suitable interval.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Author of:_Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope_
http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the kind word and the good advice; it is appreciated, as is
all your input on SAA. Overlooking the likes of Nancy and Min is
fairly easy. And I don't mind the occasional off-topic postings, even
if they happen to be political. Nobody's perfect, myself included, and
we are, after all, supposed to be good friends with more interests than
just astronomy. Several people on SAA are able to occasionally talk
politics without *ever* offending (Mike Simmons comes to mind).

The trouble I have is with those who occasionally have interesting
topical things to say, but whose main purpose seems to be the spewing of
hatred and intolerance. In my opinion, they are far more divisive and
dangerous to a focused newsgroup like SAA. Fortunately, there are now
plenty of other places online to hang with astronomers of a more
considerate and disciplined nature.

Rich
Old March 27th 05, 08:01 PM

A Cheyenne friend said: "Politicians are everywhere. Given manure and
warm rain, they come up like toadstools all around us. But true
observers and observing teachers are mighty hard to find, and a man who
has been both is worth a little study."

Don't pay any attention to the noisy ones, the signal-to-noise level
is 120-db so we must be deaf and think at 130-db 8-).

Song of exile ~ Twittering One Misc 1 February 28th 05 09:04 PM
End of Easy SETI CLI Marcel Zuiderveld SETI 6 June 30th 04 06:14 AM
Colonizing the Galaxy in Eight Easy Steps Immortalist Policy 52 June 17th 04 02:02 AM
Cheap, easy to handle fuels/oxidizers Earl Colby Pottinger Technology 41 December 23rd 03 01:04 AM
EVA inspection of STS-107 was "easy" possible [email protected] History 17 July 14th 03 09:31 PM