Hoagland debunked, Creationism stomped, we're on a roll!

Old April 7th 04, 05:14 PM
Harry F. Leopold

Default Hoagland debunked, Creationism stomped, we're on a roll!- FINAL post from me on this topic

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 2:53:25 -0500, AJ Sutters wrote
(in message k.net):

From: "AJ Sutters"
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur

"Harry F. Leopold" wrote in message

Catholics don't use the King James Bible, and in the US Catholics
out-number
any other sect. So I guess you had better get used to using the New
Jerusalem
Bible. I am pretty sure that most Baptists aren't going to like that, nor
will the rest of the Protestants. Too bad, but we have your above reasoning
to go by. I expect this may tend to annoy some, you might want to get rid
of your phone and computer before you get buried in hate-mail and calls.

In case you haven't noticed, I am talking hypothetical here... how I *might*
do it. You are the one making it an "absolute". BTW, what ever happend to
freedom of speech, Harry?

You do have freedom of speech, the government, however, does not have the
freedom to try to force religion on anyone.

Yeah, just use it, don't mention it. Seems a bit sneaky to me, sort of a
way to sneak religion into the science class without admitting to it.

Well, like I said in a previous post, if the teaching were to offend some,
then pull your kid out of class. It's been done before, plenty of times.

No! If you don't like having science taught in science classes, you are
perfectly free to pull your child out of the public school and put that child
in a religious school, or teach your child at home.

Seems you are keeping things so general that you might as well use my
previously mentioned suggestion "Some folks believe that god, or the gods,
created the universe, please speak to the preacher of your choice to find
out
the specifics for your sect." Very general, no specifics, not religion, and
it does not in anyway put down any persons beliefs, in fact it allows the
person, or their parents to take care of that part quite easily, at home,
at church or bible-school, as the parents feel best.

Well, should we also tell girls who wear makeup to stay home because it
might offend some? Someone who slips out an obscenity banned for years?
What about those kids offended by the teaching of evolution? Think it
hasn't happened, think again. Illogical.

You seem to think that it is the chance of offending someone that is the
point, it isn't. It is that law that government is not in the religion
teaching business. If the child, or its parents are offended by evolution
being taught in science class, too bad. Evolution is science, religion is
not.
If you want your child to be ignorant of science, fine, that is your
business, don't send them to the public school. (By the way, I went through
Catholic school for the first 4 years of my education, not public school
because my parents wanted me to be, in their opinion, properly taught.)

So 10%, at minimum, of the population gets screwed over, the non-believers.
As is usual. Well, the current "leader's" dad did say that non-believers
should not be considered citizens of the US. Sonny's opinion seems to be
the
same.

Well.... you said it, I didn't. I'm not the one who decided to make this
into absolutes.

The only "absolutes" being thrown around here is that government is not in
the religion-teaching business, creationism is religion, not science,
therefore creationism belongs in the church/home/church school, not the
public school science class. If you wish that your child remains ignorant of
actual scienc, fine, teach that child elsewhere. (Too bad though, with no
knowledge of basic science I doubt that child will even be able to get a job
as a burger-flipper, got to know at least a little about germs and how to
control them to be a burger-flipper.)

But I do, after all my own state school board tried this crap on Kansas a
few
years ago, and in this mostly Republician state we voters voted all those
up
for reelection out of office in the very next election, in this next
election
the last of the idiots are likely to have a hard time getting elected as
dog-catcher.

You have two options as I see it: 1) run for office yourself and change it
or 2) leave your state and move into another one, or even another country.

AJ

No, I have the third option, demand that my government follow its' own laws
and stay out of the religion-teaching business and leave the decision about
teaching religion to the individual parents of those children.
--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

"Nothing can stand up to atheistic critical examination. You guys are the
proctologists of Religion." - angelicusrex

Old April 7th 04, 08:04 PM
Kilolani

"Harry F. Leopold" wrote in message
. cox.net...

You have two options as I see it: 1) run for office yourself and change

it
or 2) leave your state and move into another one, or even another

country.

AJ

This is the logical fallacy of "false dilemma." This is not an "either/or"
choice. There are MANY alternatives. If you're going to argue, at least play
by the rules.