"Best" digital camera

Old November 24th 03, 01:06 AM
Steve Little

Default "Best" digital camera

"scott" wrote in message
m...
Hello Group,

My wife has been agitating for a digital camera for x-mas. We
currently do not own a digital camera. My thoughts towards buying a
digital camera is that it must serve my wife's demands (family
snapshots, etc.) and my desires to attach it to a telescope. My scope
is a 4" f6 refractor.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the "best" camera for this purpose?
What make, model are people having the best results from?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

I can't tell you which one to buy, but maybe steer you away from one. I have
a Nikon CP5000. It's a great camera but doesn't do well for astro use on the
scope. It's fairly noisy and is a pain to mount and use manually. Currently
I'm looking at the new Canon Rebel DSLR to replace it.

Steve

Old November 24th 03, 11:18 AM
Eddie Trimarchi

I see. The Sony doesn't have this option.

--

Regards,

Eddie Trimarchi
~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.astroshed.com
http://www.fitsplug.com

"David Nakamoto" wrote in message
"Eddie Trimarchi" wrote in message
I use the 10-second timer on my Sony Cybershot to allow some time for
settling.

That won't work on a 4300 Coolpix. Tried it, it didn't like it. You

need
to hold the shutter release button down during a bulb setting, and as I
said, the 4300 doesn't accept any shutter release cable.

Old November 24th 03, 10:04 PM
Del Johnson

That price is actually historically in line with what one previously paid
for a better SLR film camera. I remember paying well over $1000 in the late
1970's for my Olympus OM-2 gear.

The Canon digital SLRs are an attractive alternative to paying $5000+ for a
dedicated astronomical CCD camera, and sure as heck beat struggling with
clumsy afocal setups with the point and shoot digital cameras.

Del Johnson

"Alan W. Craft" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:37:03 GMT, "Al"
If everyone would stop running out to buy it the price would drop.

We're all at the mercy of the other fellow's sense of value, I'm afraid.

Alan

Old November 25th 03, 09:22 PM
Michael Kreuzer

How are you finding the A07?

Regards,
Michael Kreuzer

"37.11 Sth 142.36 Est" wrote in message
m...
Cheers Y'all

Personally I prefer a dedicated ccd for the scope
http://www.grampianstars.com.au/drive.htm#ST-7
We use a "Sony 5.0 mega pixels Cyber-shot for happy snaps

Robert -37.11 Nth 142.36 Est

om...

Old November 26th 03, 01:51 AM
Lawrence Sayre

From everything I've read about it, the Fuji S2 Digital SLR looks like it
might be the astronomical "cats pajamas". Does anyone have experience wth
this camera regarding astronomical use?

Lawrence Sayre

--
My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as
a moral being, with his own happiness as the moral

Ayn Rand (in the appendix to 'Atlas Shrugged')
Old November 26th 03, 07:14 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:04:03 -0800, "Del Johnson" delastro@{right star in Orion's belt}.sdsu.edu ...reflected:

That price is actually historically in line with what one previously paid
for a better SLR film camera. I remember paying well over $1000 in the late
1970's for my Olympus OM-2 gear.

The Canon digital SLRs are an attractive alternative to paying $5000+ for a
dedicated astronomical CCD camera, and sure as heck beat struggling with
clumsy afocal setups with the point and shoot digital cameras.

Del Johnson

What about Olympus's EM-1(?)?

Also, can the shutter be left open indefinitely with the Canon?

snip

Alan
Old November 30th 03, 01:42 PM
Tim Longwell

These guys will help with comparison:

I found like all newsgroups it seems to bounce around somewhat. It Does
however bet so informative information as to a particular cameras ability
and what to watch out for.

--
Tim Longwell
timlongwell"at"alltel.net (replace "at" with @ to send mail)