ASTRO: Cone Nebula

Old December 31st 06, 03:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Cone Nebula

My attempt at the cone was through clouds -- what else. I needed longer
sub frames and more of them for this faint guy. Didn't help the sky was
milky with ice crystals. It slightly overlaps the Fox Fur shot I posted
earlier. Though they were taken different days. Due to clouds I never
did get any lum data for the Fox Fur so used the color frames for that.
For this shot I did get all of 3 lum frames before the clouds rolled
in. So this used those plus the color frames to make the lum frame. The
result is they don't begin to process the same. Doubt I can make a
mosaic out of them. It's beyond my processing skills in any case.

14" LX200R@f/10, Lum=12x5 RGB=3x5 each all binned 2x2, STL-11000M,
Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CONE_L_12X5_RGB_3X5.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	267

Old January 2nd 07, 09:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
My attempt at the cone was through clouds -- what else.........

Rick,

Considering the conditions this is pretty good image of the Cone. At least
you've had some sky to look at. I hate those nights where high haze or ice
lowers transparency but you can still see those stars up there!

George Normandin

Old January 2nd 07, 09:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote

My attempt at the cone was through clouds -- what else.........

Rick,

Considering the conditions this is pretty good image of the Cone. At least
you've had some sky to look at. I hate those nights where high haze or ice
lowers transparency but you can still see those stars up there!

George Normandin

Biggest problem I have those nights -- and nearly all of them are that
way it seems including the night I took the cone, is that I can't get
the flat to work right. While the flats work perfectly on cloud free
nights with a background ADU count of 300 to 500 when the count goes to
several thousand as for this shot then one corner, they seem to take
turns which one (same flats), overcompensates the vignetting and it
becomes bright. A few random donuts do the same through the image.
They require a lot of masking to compensate for. With unfogged images
that doesn't happen. I can push them down to say only 16 levels and
still no hint of mismatch of the flat. I don't know what the problem
is. The ST-7 didn't do it but then wasn't looking through filters.
Must be a reflection problem in the filter is all I can think of. Or
else it has something to do with this being an ABG camera while the ST-7
is NABG. If that gate is doing funny things to the slow build-up of the
fog that might be the problem. I just don't know but it is driving me nuts.

Rick