Reality Is ??????

Old July 30th 06, 12:49 AM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Default Reality Is ??????

Lets start with philosophers for they attempt to understand the universe
around them and grasp the nature of reality by means of thoughts alone.
I have always looked for scientific truths,for science is a search for
the truth. Still what do we mean when we say that idea based on science
is "true"? That begs this question. Can any theory really be said to
be true(proven)? Reality could be the superstring theory can change our
thinking of the basic components of matter,and that could change
dramatically our understanding of the universe. Physics today is not
precise it is said to be a science of approximations Hmmmmm I
see lots of fudging by physicists. because they make simplifying
assumptions assumptions about nature when they create their theories.
Reason for that is natural phenomena are generally to complicated for
them to completely comprehend. Give you all an example of this. You
have learned that the planets in the solar system follow elliptical
orbits as Newton told us through his laws of gravitation(over 3 hundred
years ago) Not true reality Newton was making reality to simple. He
only had the Sun and earth in his thinking and just the two would make a
true elliptical orbit. However the gravitational pull by Mars and
Jupiter,also the Earth's own Moon causes its motion to get very
complicated(tricky). Thus you see to get closer to reality we do some
better approximation. However best we can measure shows nothing is
precise to the last decimal point. Obtaining the exact
precise solution can never be reality. Best to keep in mind the "Three
Body problem" has never been solved. Bert

Old August 2nd 06, 01:05 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius[_1_] Painius[_1_] is offline
Banned

"Mark Earnest" wrote...
in message ...

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote...

Lets start with philosophers for they attempt to understand the universe
around them and grasp the nature of reality by means of thoughts alone.
I have always looked for scientific truths,for science is a search for
the truth. Still what do we mean when we say that idea based on science
is "true"? That begs this question. Can any theory really be said to
be true(proven)?

Truth has a certain ring to it, which when discovered, is familiar.

This can be dangerous thinking, Mark. People are so
"into" fiction and fantasy these days that an "untruth"
can often ring familiar...

....and is frequently taken as "truth".

Examples?

Here's one...

Canals on Mars - an interesting piece of history...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_canals

This was once a widely accepted truth, both popular
*and* scientific!

You can probably come up with several more of your
own examples, if you try...

How's about "Piltdown Man"?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine

Old August 2nd 06, 01:10 PM posted to alt.astronomy
[...]

Interesting points, Bert, and orbits like Earth's and
Selene's *do* get complicated. However, there is
still an ellipse involved when you consider the actual
barycenter of the Earth/Moon orbit. While Earth and
Moon travel around the Sun in scalloped orbits that
are always turned *toward* the Sun (making them
both true major planets), their common center of
gravity, located about a thousand miles below the
surface of Earth, travels around the Sun in an elliptical
orbit.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

Old August 2nd 06, 01:16 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius[_1_] Painius[_1_] is offline
Banned

Default Reality Is ?????? (Yes, but...)

"Double-A" wrote in message...
oups.com...

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

[...]

That's why I say that math is only a model, not a precise underpinning
of what is happening in physical reality.

Double-A

I've never had a problem with this idea, Double-A, as
long as it is not used as an excuse to exclude math from
scientific investigation of physical reality.

Math is an organizational tool and is crucial to a useful
understanding of anything on a scientific level.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

Old August 2nd 06, 02:11 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_1_]

Painius wrote:
"Mark Earnest" wrote...
in message ...

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote...

[...]

How about the once accepted belief that drilling holes in people's
heads was good for the mentally ill?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Double-A

Old August 2nd 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius[_1_] Painius[_1_] is offline
Banned

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

Painius wrote:
"Mark Earnest" wrote...
in message ...

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote...

[...]

Perfect! And we must also remember the immortal words...

"One cannot help the times we live in."

This just means that the doctors back in that time actually
and truly thought they were "advancing knowledge" and
helping people. Just like those in the time when leeches
were used to "bleed" people.

While things can be said to have improved a bit over the
many abominata of the past, i still wonder how many new
abominations still take place under the guise of knowledge
advancement and "helping people"?.

We think that we know sooo much... and yet we still have
sooo much to learn!

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

Old August 3rd 06, 12:56 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

"Painius" wrote in message
"Mark Earnest" wrote...
in message ...

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote...

[...]

Truth is truth, and has no substance unless it is recognized.
To be recognized, truth has to have a certain ring, and be familiar.
And there are canals on Mars.
It is Martian power of illusion that prevents us from seeing them today,
as we saw them then.

Old August 3rd 06, 05:22 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_1_]

Painius wrote:
"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

Painius wrote:
"Mark Earnest" wrote...
in message ...

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote...

[...]

I look at it like one of those dreams where you think you have woken
up, but really you are still dreaming. We always think that in the
past people had things wrong, but now we've got it straight! Trouble
is that 20 or 30 years from now we will think the same thing about
today's misconceptions: but now we've finally got it!

Double-A

Old August 3rd 06, 05:24 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_1_]

Mark Earnest wrote:
"Painius" wrote in message
"Mark Earnest" wrote...

[...]