Teflon-what's the real story?

Old October 7th 04, 01:57 PM
Bill

Default Teflon-what's the real story?

I've heard plenty about teflon being invented for the space program, I
think the story is that it was invented as wiring insulation for the
Mercury capsule, but with the recent press stuff about it, I've seen
reports that it was actually invented in the '30s. Which is it?
Old October 7th 04, 02:02 PM
G.Beat

PTFE or polytetrafluoroethylene was discovered on April 6, 1938 by Dr. Roy
Plunkett at the DuPont research laboratories -- specifically the Jackson
Laboratory in New Jersey.

Plunkett was working with gases related to Freon® refrigerants when upon
checking a frozen, compressed sample of tetrafluoroethylene, he and his
associates discovered that the sample had polymerized spontaneously into a
white, waxy solid to form polytetrafluoroethylene or PTFE.
PTFE was first marketed under the DuPont Teflon ® trademark in 1945. The
molecular weight of Teflon can exceed 30,000,000, making it one of the
largest molecules known. The surface is so slippery, virtually nothing
sticks to it or is absorbed by it.

For this reason, Teflon was choosen to be used on non-stick cooking pans.

Today, Teflon applicaitons are used in cooking, apparel, automotice,
household,personl care and industrial areas.

DuPont even has a specific web site, devoted just to Teflon !
http://www.teflon.com/

g. beat

Old October 7th 04, 03:05 PM
Paul F. Dietz

Bill wrote:

I've heard plenty about teflon being invented for the space program, I
think the story is that it was invented as wiring insulation for the
Mercury capsule, but with the recent press stuff about it, I've seen
reports that it was actually invented in the '30s. Which is it?

The latter. Also, teflon-coated cookware went on the market in the
mid 1950s, and wasn't even a US invention.

Paul
Old October 7th 04, 05:21 PM

Bill wrote:
I've heard plenty about teflon being invented for the space program,

think the story is that it was invented as wiring insulation for the
Mercury capsule, but with the recent press stuff about it, I've seen
reports that it was actually invented in the '30s. Which is it?

A good rule of thumb is that, contrary to popular myth, very few new
technologies were invented by/for the space program.

And of course, also contrary to myth, we don't need to believe such
nonsense in order to rationalise space exploration. We can justify it
simply by agreeing, as a society, that exploration is something we want
to do with our resources.

-Mark Martin

Old October 7th 04, 08:32 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Brett Buck
writes

"Brett Buck" wrote in message

And to answer the other post, partly because it's compliant, but mostly
because it's chemically pretty inert. No problem at all sitting in NTO for
15 years.

And of course, heat tolerance.

I thought its heat tolerance was fairly modest, and when it's heated
excessively it produces fumes you don't want to have around! There's
that odd warning about tobacco contaminated with Teflon.