Hawking Recants on Black Hole Theory!

Old July 16th 04, 01:04 AM
Double-A

Default Hawking Recants on Black Hole Theory!

Hawking RECANTS on Black Hole Theory!

Stephen Hawking now says that what goes in to a black hole CAN come
out!

Hawking now says that physical singularities DO NOT EXIST after all!

Hawking admits he was WRONG when he theorized that information going
into a black hole was lost forever. He has further agreed to PAY OFF
on a longstanding bet with a colleague on this matter!

This seems to have been a triumph of the ideas of Quantum Gravity.

See the article:

http://www.nature.com/news/2004/0407...040712-12.html

(No, this isn't the April 1st edition of Nature.)

See also:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...5E1702,00.html

And for a slightly more sympathetic take:

http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/jul/15hawking.htm

Simply amazing!

Double-A
Old July 16th 04, 06:15 AM
MorituriMax

Double-A wrote:
Hawking RECANTS on Black Hole Theory!

Really? Strange I seem to recall scientists change their minds on all kinds of
things once they determine they may have been in error.

Old July 16th 04, 06:15 AM
MorituriMax

Old July 16th 04, 12:34 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Double A We all read Hawking,but best to keep in mind he like the
rest of us will never get the Nobel prize. He even went out of his way
to steal another man's theory.(he did apologize) He made that bet with
Thorne. Has Penrose commented on this?. How about us hearing from
Wheeler,Greene,and some Nobel winners. In 1939 Oppenhiemer theorized
black holes. That was before Hawkings was born. Only if I hear from
other great brains will I change my mind,and I do think in every
direction. Bert

Old July 16th 04, 12:42 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi nightbat you still make me laugh. You accuse me of getting my
thoughts out of readng books. You are so very right. I do read a lot. I
can see the reality of the universe's horizon by standing on the
shoulders of Nobel prize winners,and men like Brian Greene,and Sagan.
Bert

Old July 16th 04, 01:58 PM
brian

"MorituriMax" wrote in message
Double-A wrote:
Hawking RECANTS on Black Hole Theory!

Really? Strange I seem to recall scientists change their minds on all

kinds of
things once they determine they may have been in error.
/////////////////////////

In recent months I had been wondering how much energy escaped from the
Blackhole in the form of radiation, there no published figures on the
subject, I tended to dismiss it thinking that amount of radiation would
sterilise the whole universe, so the amount of energy I had decided was
small., there must be another form of outlet, or this newish theory is
wrong.
And then I am back in the room behind the Blackhole where all matter is
stored until it bursts at the seams, and gives birth to another big bang, or
small one whatever you may wish to think, theory is just that strong idea's
usually, but all we have, and lets face it all we are likely to have or
obtain until that ultimate understanding of the universe comes along and
bites us on the bum.

Old July 16th 04, 02:03 PM
colin

Double-A wrote:
Hawking RECANTS on Black Hole Theory!

Really? Strange I seem to recall scientists change their minds on all

kinds of
things once they determine they may have been in error.

any good engineer worth his salt knows that singularities wich apear in many
usefull equations dont realy exist IRL and knows how to avoid using the
equation in that region.

Colin =^.^=