UK Astronomy Buy & Sell

Old July 15th 03, 12:15 AM
Pete Lawrence

Default UK Astronomy - Is anyone interested?

On 14 Jul 2003 15:06:34 -0700, (Chris.B) wrote:

"Roger Steer" wrote in message ...

Please allow me to say a couple of things:

Don't bother to reply to this posting, it won't be seen by me. This last
pathetic exchange between you all has been the final straw and I am
unsubscribing from uk.sci.astronomy today. Yahoo groups - preferably
moderated - have a detectable signal to noise ratio. I suggest that those
who mistakenly thought this newsgroup was about astronomy, follow suit.

Roger Steer

Whether you read this or not Roger: I'll say it anyway.

A shame that you let one rather argumentative thread put you off this
newsgroup. Do all the other astro related threads count for nothing?
You may not agree with the things said. But they were said with
emotion and conviction by those who posted. Opinions vary on most
subjects. The difficulty of holding a heated debate in slow motion. By
posting e-mails to a Google NG is not to be underestimated. Things
said freely in face to face conversation do not translate well to the
NG text format. What produces a wry grin in the pub comes across as
pompous, highly critical or a lunatic rage in text form.
Interpretation is usually in the eye of the heholder. Humour,
particlarly irony is usually completely lost on the reader. Capitals
and smilies are not the subtle facial expressions of two amateur
astronomers. In violent disagreement over some detail. But still
capable of having an intelligent chat behind the observatory.

He's not listening you know.

Except that we all know he is don't we

--
Pete
Homepage at

Old July 15th 03, 08:57 AM
Chris.B

Default UK Astronomy Buy & Sell

Mark McIntyre wrote in message . ..

My "dark tunnel" is the one where I receive, at my office email
address, even after spam filtering, around 20 spam mails per day, not
to mention the hundreds more that are prefiltered by our filters. At
home I've got it down to a managable 1-2 per day, after spamcop has
filtered the other 100 or so out.

Makes yer spit dunnit, eh?

The freedom to
send high quality images to anyone in the world is enormous fun.

Indeed, but do you do this to complete strangers?

Everybody is a stranger until they get to know me. g
Danish houses are only on request. I could send you some if you
like. Couple of Megs in your intray? Can't do any harm....

Evidently you /do/ do do this to complete strangers. I have to tell
you, if you did it to me I'd be very very cross.

You never asked for any! How would I know what you like unless you
ask? Okay, not houses then. What DO you like? Apart from a quiet life?

If you'd
persisted in sending me pictures of danish houses, then I'd have had
no hesitation in reporting you.

I blieve this is an attempt at humour. Though I could be wrong in
your case.

Its *my* email address, not a bl**dy drop-in centre for weirdos... :-)

Ere! Are you calling me a wierdo?

difference between you and me is that I don't *like* complete
strangers walking up to me and trying to chat to me about whatever
interests them. I'm a private person, and I value my privacy even more
in today's global world of instant comms. Its already pretty hard to
have privacy, what what with my mobile (required to carry by my
office), pager (ditto), fax mch spewing garbage, email full of spam
and worse, website under constant attach etc etc. *sigh*

I think you need stress managemant Mark. You've been overdoing it.
Work overload. Been there. Done that. Best avoided. Where's the
reward? Your own bed in hospital. Lots of wires and pipes. For what
eh? A Eurobox parked outside a semi with 20 sq.ft.of manicured lawn,
Mock Tudor bay windows and neighbours you detest. Go rural mate. Get
away from it all. You know it makes sense...

BTW "Attack" has a "k" somewhere if only I could remember where...

Have you considered painting your office green? A couple of plants
maybe? Not your thing?

Haiko.B

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

PS: My god Mark, your signature has more commercial advertising than
the inside of a No.46 bus.. Would your prefer I contact your ISP or
should I report this abuse to Google? Your choice Mark, me old
mate...? g

PSST: Are you sure you don't want to see some pictures of Danish
rural houses? Ever so restful. Shall I put a couple of attachments
your way? No charge of course.

Old July 15th 03, 09:53 AM
SimonP

Mark McIntyre wrote in article
| On 14 Jul 2003 12:15:42 -0700, in uk.sci.astronomy ,
| (Chris.B) wrote:

OK I'll jump on the band wagon ;-)
It seems this whole thread jumped out from Stephen complaining about
the OP taking and tiding his address. This has now turned into a
‘what is spam thread'…
The technical definition is any unsolicited mail – hold that thought.

| I look at the internet and e-mail system from the opposite end of
| your dark tunnel. I'm looking towards the brilliantly lit end.
|
| My "dark tunnel" is the one where I receive, at my office email
| address, even after spam filtering, around 20 spam mails per day,
not
| to mention the hundreds more that are prefiltered by our filters. At
| home I've got it down to a managable 1-2 per day, after spamcop has
| filtered the other 100 or so out.

I have seen a huge increase in spam since posting to NGs, filling in
on line forms etc.,
The simple solution is don't type your address anywhere or if you have
to "mung" it. "Munging" won't stop the determined but it should at
least slow down the tide. I don't have any filters on at home I can
usually guess the spam and just delete it, granted it's a pain having
to download it all (I'm still on dial-up) but it's not the end of the
world.
If things get that bad you could always get a new address.

| I now consider e-mails to be a new form of expression. The freedom
| send high quality images to anyone in the world is enormous fun.
|
| Indeed, but do you do this to complete strangers?
|
| Yesterday I sent an image of Danish timber framed houses round a
| village pond to someone who lives in the Arizona desert! Our only
| common interest was music & solar power in this case.
|
| Evidently you /do/ do do this to complete strangers. I have to tell
| you, if you did it to me I'd be very very cross.

"Brian's not coming out – he's been a very naughty boy" (sorry Mark, I
couldn't resist).
In Chris' defence I think you've probably got the wrong end of the
stick. I doubt Chris just sends pics to anyone, my guess is there was
probably an exchange prior to sending the pics.

| I e-mailed him
| to thank him for a medieval piece he arranged (as a Midi file) on
his
| website. Asking where I might find the score. Fortunately he didn't
| report me to his ISP for this awful indiscretion
|
| Nor would I have, the first or even the second time. If you'd
| persisted in sending me pictures of danish houses, then I'd have had
| no hesitation in reporting you.
|
| Its *my* email address, not a bl**dy drop-in centre for weirdos...
:-)

I'm probably a weirdo then ;-)

| I consider what you call 'private spam' a chance to talk to
somebody
| on the other side of the world.

As do I. On many occasions I have taken someone's e-mail and if need
be "unmunged" it and sent them a mail for various reasons.
I have a few private (as opposed to commercial) sites linked to from
my web site. For each of those links I have e-mail the owner in
question to ask their permission – would this offend you Mark?
There have been occasions when I've read a post a work – generally
someone asking for advice or comment or something and due to the time
delay in google I have e-mailed them direct with a response – would
this offend you Mark?

| difference between you and me is that I don't *like* complete
| strangers walking up to me and trying to chat to me about whatever
| interests them. I'm a private person, and I value my privacy even
more
| in today's global world of instant comms. Its already pretty hard to
| have privacy, what what with my mobile (required to carry by my
| office), pager (ditto), fax mch spewing garbage, email full of spam
| and worse, website under constant attach etc etc. *sigh*

At this point I think it's a case of not so much get a life but chill
out and enjoy what you've got. Privacy is easy – do your firm require
you to have your phone on 24/7? If so are they paying you to be on
call? Pager (ditto)? Fax (ditto)? All these have off buttons if you
don't want them on and you're not required to – turn them off. If
you're not being paid to be on call I suggest you discuss this with
them if you are stop winging it's easy money. E-mail – 22 per day –
you don't have a very big inbox if that fills it up ;-) Who's trying
to attach your web site to what? I realise that English may not be
your first language, just like it isn't Chris' but…If the attack's are
not getting through – why worry, if they are – get better security,
then – why worry?
Relax, life's too short, there is always an alternative way to sort
out a problem.
Worry and Stress – it will never help solve a problem unless you deem
good health a problem!!

| I still consider Paul's attempt to introduce a new free ads system
as
| a real breakthrough in this style of service.
|
| I have now and never had a problem with that.

I think this is the undercurrent of the whole thread - no one actually
seems to be worried about Paul's new service (barring 1, but he isn't
reading UKSA anymore so what the hell).
Any new service, whether in an empty market place or up against many
established operators, will stand and fall by their own merits.

--
Simon
51:31N 0:38W
Old July 15th 03, 09:53 AM
SimonP

Old July 15th 03, 11:43 AM
Gordon

I look at this news group every so often and I have put the occasional
request on it and I have received very helpful replies from some of the
people on this current thread.
Can we give this one a rest, if you were a first time user on this group and
you looked at this current thread the unsubsribe button would be pushed very
quickly. I hope that this group remains a friendly and informational area,
not a site of insults and accusations. (life is too short!)