Orbiting fuel depot concept

Old September 2nd 09, 02:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Default Orbiting fuel depot concept

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
om...
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Derek Lyons wrote:

Which fails to explain why non American fanboys also love Soyuz and
hate Shuttle, and why American fanboys (who quite often decry NASA's
and the public's aversion to risk) love Soyuz and hate Shuttle.

I'll say one thing for both Soyuz and Progress - they launch on the day
they are planned to launch on a hell of a lot more often than the
Shuttle ever has, with today's scrub being another good example of that.
It's not a all-weather spacecraft, it's a fair-weather spacecraft at
best... and given any sort of requirement for getting something into LEO
reliably on a fixed schedule, it's pretty much pointless to rely on the
Shuttle to get it there.

Oh no, that's Soyuz launcher fanboy talk Pat! Just because the Russians
launch on time doesn't make it better than the shuttle. Clearly you're
biased. ;-)

The last Soyuz spacecraft launched and the last shuttle launched both
make it to ISS, so that's something.

On the other hand, I'll take my odds of landing in the right place over
on-time launch. :-)

I'll give you that rather than try to claim it doesn't matter like Derek did
by claiming that launch schedules (and therefore docking schedules for ISS)
don't matter.

Had I claimed they didn't matter, you'd have a point.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old September 2nd 09, 02:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_268_]

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote:
I'll give you that rather than try to claim it doesn't matter like Derek
did
by claiming that launch schedules (and therefore docking schedules for
ISS)
don't matter.

Had I claimed they didn't matter, you'd have a point.

You may not have, but it did come across that way.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.