Locations of Apollo Guidance Computers?

Old August 19th 09, 10:46 PM posted to sci.space.history
Doug Lowe

Default Locations of Apollo Guidance Computers?

I was looking at the Apollo/Soyuz command module last weekend in L.A. and
wondering if the guidance computer is still intact inside. Does anyone know
the fate of the guidance computers that flew on missions? Just the command
module ones of course Are they still intact within their respective
command modules on display throughout the country, or were they removed to
other locations?

--Doug

Old August 20th 09, 05:13 PM posted to sci.space.history
Doug Lowe

Thanks! That's very cool to know. The Apollo 18/ASTP CM display is very nice
but the plastic shell makes it hard to see a lot of the interior detail.

Does anyone know about the other CM's on display? I'm especially curious
about the Apollo 11 CM at the Air & Space Museum...are all of its original
interior components intact including the AGC?

--Doug

"OM" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:46:57 -0700, "Doug Lowe"
wrote:

I was looking at the Apollo/Soyuz command module last weekend in L.A. and
wondering if the guidance computer is still intact inside.

...My understanding is that all the equipment in the ASTP CM are the
real articles, although ISTR coming across some mention during my ASTP
page research that the gimballs were removed for a short time for some
testing after the flight. But again, based on what I recall, all the
pieces are there.

OM

--

]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [

Old August 24th 09, 07:53 PM posted to sci.space.history
Matthew B. Ota

*]=====================================[
*] * OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld* [
*] * * * *Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* * * * * [
*] * * * * *an obnoxious opinion in your day! * * * * * [
*]=====================================[

I have seen Apollo 8 in Chicago, Apollo 16 in Hunsville Alabama,
Apollo 15 in Dayton and Apollo 11 in Washington DC. In all of those
cases the display does not allow for looking much into the interior to
see the guidance computer. I would imagine it would take some research
with curators to get an answer.
Old September 6th 09, 09:20 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dr. Smartass, Troll Veterinarian

I've seen the Skylab 2 (Pensacola NAS, Naval Aviation Museum) and Apollo 4
(Stennis SC, Mississippi) CM's; pretty much the same problem Matthew Ota
had--plexi to keep grubby-fingered kids and space geeks at a distance :/

"Doug Lowe" wrote in
:

Thanks! That's very cool to know. The Apollo 18/ASTP CM display is
very nice but the plastic shell makes it hard to see a lot of the
interior detail.

Does anyone know about the other CM's on display? I'm especially
curious about the Apollo 11 CM at the Air & Space Museum...are all of
its original interior components intact including the AGC?

--
Doc Smartass