Help with old Meade Newtonian Telescope Clock Drive

Old April 1st 04, 01:05 PM
Daniel Cervantes

Default Help with old Meade Newtonian Telescope Clock Drive

I am working with a local childrens science museum to set up their
telescope for Astronomy Day. They have an older (how old I can't
tell) Meade 8" Newtonian with what appears to be the original mount
and clock drive. The telescope was donated to them and they have no
operator manual. I had a few minutes yesterday to check the optics
(probably needs some alignment, but appears generally O.K.) and listen
for the motor to run (I heard it) when plugged in (No ON/OFF switch!).

My question concerns using the clock drive. I could find no way to
engage/dis-engage the clock drive. Is this common on older Meade
clock drives? Are they always engaged? Sorry I don't have any
further info on the model or description of the drive.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Cervantes
Old April 1st 04, 02:51 PM
HAVRILIAK

I have a 10" Meade Starfinder on their equitorial drive. I have tried for
years to do astrophotography with the unit with some sucess mostly based on
luck.
So far your correct. There is no on-off switch and there is no way to
disengage the motor drive. You simply ovrtride the clutch that can be adjusted
by taking the motor cover off.
. There are two points that I would make. 1. When properly aligned the
optics IMHO are excellent especially for the price. 2. The motor drive is more
than adequate for keeping the object in view, particularly for group
observations.
good luck with your undertaking.

Old April 1st 04, 03:17 PM
Bill Ferris

They have an older (how old I can't tell) Meade 8" Newtonian with
what appears to be the original mount and clock drive. [snip]
My question concerns using the clock drive. I could find no way to
engage/dis-engage the clock drive. Is this common on older Meade
clock drives? Are they always engaged? Sorry I don't have any
further info on the model or description of the drive.

It could be the AC-powered Meade 8-inch Starfinder. These were preceded by the
DS-series eq-mounted Newtonians, which had "DS-#" on the OTA...the # being the
aperture of the instrument.

I've got the 10-inch AC-powered Starfinder. It's a vintage 1994 scope: The OTA
is plain white with MEADE in all-caps, black lettering along the side; and
black plastic end rings. It came with a 6x30 finderscope--white with black
housing for the lenses--and a metal 1.25-inch rack & pinion focuser. The mount
is a black metal pier with three, black die-cast aluminum legs. The primary
mirror cell is also die-cast aluminum. My primary is marked on the back with
hand-written aperture, focal length and serial number information. If your
primary is marked with a serial number, you should be able to contact Meade to
find out when the optics were made.

The clock drive is housed within a plastic removeable shell. It's a clutched
drive, so you don't have to disengage it. Simply grab the OTA and move the
telescope wherever you want and it will start tracking as soon as you release
the tube. With a decent polar alignment, my 10-inch tracks at very high
magnification for hours. The 8-inch should perform just as well, if not better.

Regards,

Bill Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"
Email: Remove "ic" from .comic above to respond

Old April 2nd 04, 07:50 AM
jerry warner

It was an April fools scope! You plug or unplug it. Or you drill a whole
in the box
and put your own switch in it. Meade knew self serve was coming. They paid

Ronald Reagan $150,000 for this advise. Kenneth Galbraithe would have done
it
for $7000, but Meade chose Reagan because nobody knew who Galbraithe was.
My grandfather hiered Reagan to test gold balls. He had to fire him after
they
discovered Reagan was eating them.
Jerry

Old April 3rd 04, 08:56 AM
Kilolani

"jerry warner" wrote in message
It was an April fools scope! You plug or unplug it. Or you drill a whole
in the box
and put your own switch in it. Meade knew self serve was coming. They paid

Ronald Reagan $150,000 for this advise. Kenneth Galbraithe would have done
it
for $7000, but Meade chose Reagan because nobody knew who Galbraithe was.
My grandfather hiered Reagan to test gold balls. He had to fire him after
they
discovered Reagan was eating them.
Jerry

hmmm.... been dipping into the Maui Wowee again, jerry?