Did The Chinese Violate Any Treaties?

Old January 24th 07, 02:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Charles Buckley

Default Did The Chinese Violate Any Treaties?

Brad Guth wrote:
"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

What planet are you posting this from, and what color is the sky
there?

He's obviously not from your Old Testament thumping planet, where the
sky is nearly always blood red from the ongoing collateral damage and
carnage of the innocent.
-
Brad Guth

Rand has a tendency to not read the actual numbers..

"ANNISTON, Ala. -- Field upon field of more than 1,000 battered M1
tanks, howitzers and other armored vehicles sit amid weeds here at the
15,000-acre Anniston Army Depot -- the idle, hulking formations symbolic
of an Army that is wearing out faster than it is being rebuilt.

The Army and Marine Corps have sunk more than 40 percent of their ground
combat equipment into the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to
government data....

Partly as a result of the shortages, many U.S. units are rated "unready"
to deploy, officials say, raising alarm in Congress and concern among
military leaders at a time when Iraq strategy is under review by the
White House and the bipartisan Iraq Study Group."

"Equipment shipped back from Iraq is stacking up at all the Army depots:
More than 530 M1 tanks, 220 M88 wreckers and 160 M113 armored personnel
carriers are sitting at Anniston. The Red River Army Depot in Texas has
700 Bradley Fighting Vehicles and 450 heavy and medium-weight trucks,
while more than 1,000 Humvees are awaiting repair at the Letterkenny
Army Depot in Pennsylvania.

Despite the work piling up, the Army's depots have been operating at
about half their capacity because of a lack of funding for repairs. In
the spring, a funding gap caused Anniston and other depots to lose about
a month's worth of work, said Brig. Gen. Robert Radin, deputy chief of
staff for operations at the Army Materiel Command at Fort Belvoir."

-------------

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13563055/

"The latest costs include the transfer of more than 1,200 2 1/2-ton
trucks, nearly 1,100 Humvees and $8.8 million in other equipment from
the U.S. Army to the Iraqi security forces.

Army and Marine Corps leaders are expected to testify before Congress
Tuesday and outline the growing costs of the war — with estimates that
it will cost between $12 billion and $13 billion a year for equipment
repairs, upgrades and replacements from now on.

The Marine Corps has said in recent testimony before Congress that it
would need nearly $12 billion to replace and repair all the equipment
worn out or lost to combat in the past four years. So far, the Marines
have received $1.6 billion toward those costs to replace and repair the
equipment.

According to the Army, the $17 billion includes:

* $2.1 billion in equipment that must be replaced because of battle
losses.
* About $6.5 billion for repairs.
* About $8.4 billion to rebuild or upgrade equipment.

One of the growing costs is the replacement of Humvees, which are
wearing out more quickly because of the added armor they are carrying to
protect soldiers from roadside bombs. The added weight is causing them
to wear out faster, decreasing the life of the vehicles."

---------

By my count, that is a loss of 1800 humvees from the US inventory and
1600 trucks. 540 M-1 tanks is a significant fraction also. You also
have to consider the deployable force remaining. It looks like most
of the deployable equipment is already in theater.
Old January 24th 07, 03:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Al

On Jan 19, 2:07 pm, (Rand Simberg) wrote:
On not making messes in space? My dim understanding is that this
remains unsettled in the Liability Convention, due to an inability to
agree on a definition of the word "debris." Any space lawyers out
there more up to date?

I'd think that, at a minimum, if any of the bits strike someone's
satellite, or ISS, that the Chinese could be held liable under the
OST. If it could be proven that it resulted from this event, that is
(probably a difficult thing to do).

Seems the Chinese members of the IADC(Inter-Agency Space Debris
Coordination Committee) didn't know about it.

http://www.iadc-online.org/

Old January 25th 07, 07:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

On Jan 22, 8:49 pm, robert casey wrote:
Okay.. what the **** is "Waziristan"?

That reply is beneath you, Pat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004-2006_Waziristan_conflict has some
recent history.

Well, it did sound like a flippant made up name, like "Butt-wipe-ah-stan".

Yes, I mean I would have immediately known what "skirmishes between
Pakistani and Taliban forces on the Afghan/Pakistan border" meant
without the term 'Warziristan conflicts' thrown in. Warziristan almosts
sounds like a forgotten former USSR country having come out of the
woodwork.

Send Sacha Baron Cohen, of BORAT fame, there for a sequel to his movie.

Eric

Old January 25th 07, 07:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

On Jan 22, 7:21 am, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 01:56:04 -0700, in a place far, far away, Charles
Buckley made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Now, if Bush's current hostile stance towards Iran

What planet are you posting this from, and what color is the sky
there?

Rand, is or is not Iran on Bush's list of countries that form the "Axis
of Evil"? The fact that Bush has a list and calls it the Axis of Evil
and the term evildoers says quite a lot about his basic mentality, or
should that be base mentality, instead?

Old January 25th 07, 07:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

On Jan 22, 9:29 pm, Herb Schaltegger
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:19:55 -0600, Terrell Miller wrote
(in article Rodth.541$ch1.249@bigfe9):

troops...cool it. You're two of the Good Guys around here

Pat is; Rand has turned into a misanthropic troll.

Amen...

--
You can run on for a long time,
Sooner or later, God'll cut you down.

Old January 25th 07, 07:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

On Jan 22, 9:36 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:29:27 -0600, in a place far, far away, Herb
Schaltegger made the phosphor on
my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:19:55 -0600, Terrell Miller wrote
(in article Rodth.541$ch1.249@bigfe9):

troops...cool it. You're two of the Good Guys around here

Pat is; Rand has turned into a misanthropic troll.

An interesting opinion. But that's all it is. It's certainly
unsubstantiated. And unsubstantiable...

I read this and immediately realized something about the show 'American
Idol' and how some contestants with absolutely zero singing ability can
get on stage and try and perform anyway. Ego.

Like Rand, their ego is bigger than they are and therefore, there they
are.

Old January 25th 07, 07:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_2_]

"Charles Buckley" wrote in message

By my count, that is a loss of 1800 humvees from the US inventory and
1600 trucks. 540 M-1 tanks is a significant fraction also. You also
have to consider the deployable force remaining. It looks like most
of the deployable equipment is already in theater.

I believe you're right, that we're walking upon as thin of theater ice
as such perpetrated wars tend to get. I'm not sure we can even get out
safely without falling through our own artificially made thin ice. I
also believe the books are at best seriously cooked in order to minimize
and/or divert the true cost of 911 and the ongoing war(s).

We have our nuclear and chemical weapons (1000 fold worse off than
anything we'd lied about Iraq having), and as long as our warm and fuzzy
GW Bush is in charge, if push comes down to shove is where I do believe
that we do intend to utilize them.
-
Brad Guth

Old January 26th 07, 12:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Bill Haught[_1_]

Default Unlimited objectives + Limited resources = Bankruptcy (was Did The Chinese Violate Any Treaties?)

"Demosthenes" wrote in message
In article . com
wrote:

China wants to be close enough to military parity with the

U.S. that
the U.S. would not dare to interfere with it when it attacks

Taiwan.
That will not work.

Of COURSE it will work.

Don't be so sure, it is scary how they know us more than we know ourselves:

Unrestricted Warfare
Qiao Liang and Wang Xiangsui
(Beijing: PLA Literature and Arts Publishing House, February 1999)
http://www.cryptome.org/cuw.htm

"World's number one," an ideology corresponding to "isolationism," always
makes the Americans tend to pursue unlimited objectives as they expand their
national power. But this is a tendency which in the end will lead to
tragedy. A company which has limited resources but which is nevertheless
keen to take on unlimited responsibilities is headed for only one possible
outcome, and that is bankruptcy.

Old January 27th 07, 07:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Rand Simberg wrote:
Or we promptly invaded Tunis, in North Africa. Which is in fact what
we did, since you seem historically ignorant.

You don't really know almost anything about what happened in America's
history, do you?

His posts do seem to question that.

US space weapons no threat, but 'treaties' may be Jim Oberg Policy 1 November 13th 06 04:52 PM
European and Chinese space cooperation highlighted by visit of Chinese Prime Minister Jacques van Oene News 0 December 10th 04 04:29 PM
Chinese Constellations alt.clearing.O5 Astronomy Misc 1 November 2nd 03 01:10 AM
Chinese spacecraft RDG History 83 November 1st 03 09:46 PM
Chinese do it! Andrew Tubbiolo Policy 48 October 28th 03 08:23 PM