ASTRO: NGC 4565

Old May 30th 08, 09:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 4565

I have quite a lot of data waiting to be processed from the first half of
May, but most of it is either not really good or has some problems that make
it difficult to process. In this case I had one night of NGC 4565 at f/6.4
where focus did shift and compromised image detail, the other night I used
my new Baader Steeltrack OAZ, which allowed me to lock down the main mirror
properly, which prevents focus shift. The focuser between the focal reducer
and the camera gives a focal ratio of f/5.7, so the image had a much larger
field than the first one.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ARC at f/5.7 and f/6.4 on a
G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 44x5 minutes. Colour will follow.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/4565-23x5u21x5smallgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4565-23x5u21x5smallgut.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1935
Old May 30th 08, 10:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

I have quite a lot of data waiting to be processed from the first half of
May, but most of it is either not really good or has some problems that make
it difficult to process. In this case I had one night of NGC 4565 at f/6.4
where focus did shift and compromised image detail, the other night I used
my new Baader Steeltrack OAZ, which allowed me to lock down the main mirror
properly, which prevents focus shift. The focuser between the focal reducer
and the camera gives a focal ratio of f/5.7, so the image had a much larger
field than the first one.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ARC at f/5.7 and f/6.4 on a
G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 44x5 minutes. Colour will follow.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/4565-23x5u21x5smallgut.jpg

Stefan

I'm surprised the mirror lock on your scope didn't hold the mirror for
you. It works fine on my much heavier 14" mirror. Is it engaging?
Mine arrived DOA but found some web page on how to remove the knob and
get inside to fix it. I still have a lot of focus change due to
temperature and had to go to a temperature compensating focuser to solve
it. Otherwise it was refocus every 10 minutes.

Looking through my inventory of your images this appears your best 4565
to date so the new scope is working for you. Though the 8" allowed all
of 4562 to be seen rather than just its nose. Awaiting color.

I wanted to get color data to go with my mono version of this guy.
Weather never cooperated. So little dark sky left hardly worth imaging
for the next couple months. Has to be even worse for you!

Rick

Old May 31st 08, 07:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Now here is the colour version of my NGC 4565 shot. COlour is spurious here
because I only have 3x5 minutes each for green and blue and 6x2 minutes for
red. Red has shorter subexposures because it was taken in a different night
with a faster focal ratio and a brighter sky. An additional problem were
wild gradients in the green and blue channel, so I had to be choose a
"sublime" setting for colour in order not to show the noise, gradients etc
too obviously.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/4565colourgut.jpg

Stefan

"Stefan Lilge" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

Name:	4565colourgut.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1938
Old May 31st 08, 07:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Very nice Stefan!

John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3
Old May 31st 08, 07:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, the mirror was only locked in one of the two nights. When it was
locked I didn't have any focus shift. Actually with the mirror lock on I
seem to have less problems with focus shift with the 10" ACF scope than I
had with my C8, in spite of the C8's smaller mirror.
Actually it took one of your earlier postings to get me to really tighten
the mirror down. The manual just says that you should turn the focus lock
"until it feels tight". That of course is not a very precise statement, so I
stopped when the focus lock started turning noticeably harder than in the
beginning. Of course you have to turn it until it can't be turned any more,
but I didn't dare to try that at first, as I don't have a clue how the
mirror lock works (might damage the mirror if tightened too strong).

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Stefan Lilge wrote:

[...]

NGC 4565 (large) and NGC 4562 (small) in Coma Berenices ukastronomy Astronomy Misc 0 March 22nd 08 09:29 AM
NGC 4565 (large) and NGC 4562 (small) in Coma Berenices ukastronomy UK Astronomy 0 March 22nd 08 09:28 AM
Daily Report #4565 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 March 12th 08 02:27 PM
PING: Rick Johnson or anyone else... NGC 4565 G Astro Pictures 0 March 18th 07 07:06 AM