ASTRO: Boller Chivens astrophots?

Old May 20th 08, 08:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
jerry warner[_8_]

Default ASTRO: Boller Chivens astrophots?

Does anyone know where I can find astrophotos taken with
a 24" Boller Chivens cassegrain. Anything. Maybe somebody
knows of something.
Thanks,
Jerry

Old May 20th 08, 06:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

jerry warner wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find astrophotos taken with
a 24" Boller Chivens cassegrain. Anything. Maybe somebody
knows of something.
Thanks,
Jerry

http://www.cedar-astronomers.org/eiolc.htm
Scan down to near the bottom of the page for a rather lousy shot of M82
taken with a 30 year old 24" Boller & Chivens. It's the only such photo
I know of.

The University of Nebraska has a 30" version. I've never seen a decent
photo that it has taken. Though the CCD is an ST-7! so the FOV is
amazingly poor and the pixels horribly undersized. Think it is used
mainly for spectroscopic and photometric purposes. As far as I know
they've never put a photo on line taken through it. Wrong size for you
anyway. But the shots I have seen aren't any better than that M82 shot
and are, if anything, worse.

They put in a 16" Meade SCT (old style) with an ST-6 on top of a parking
garage that shakes like a bowl of jelly yet it does (or did) better work
than the 30". I say did because the idiots in charge so screwed up (way
to nice of a way of understating it) the 16" scope it is useless last I
knew. Last I knew only one on the faculty had access to the 30" and
it is about shut down as well. The U's best astronomer left for
McDonald Observatory. Now he has usable scopes to work with.

Rick

Old May 21st 08, 05:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
jerry warner[_8_]

Rick Johnson wrote:

jerry warner wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find astrophotos taken with
a 24" Boller Chivens cassegrain. Anything. Maybe somebody
knows of something.
Thanks,
Jerry

http://www.cedar-astronomers.org/eiolc.htm
Scan down to near the bottom of the page for a rather lousy shot of M82
taken with a 30 year old 24" Boller & Chivens. It's the only such photo
I know of.

I know of photos done with a 16" B&C, likewise the CAA photo you mention
supposedly done by Matt Neely with the UI 24" B&C at Riverside Observatory.
Im a member of CAA. I need other B&C 24" photos and am searching.

[Image]