ASTRO: NGC 5985, 5982, 5981

Old May 17th 08, 01:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 5985, 5982, 5981

The well known galaxy trio in Draco was my second target for my recent
outing to good skies a bit northwest of Berlin.
Stars look strange in the right half of the picture, as if something was
protruding into the lightpath.
Colour version will follow.

Taken with a 10" Meade ACF at f/5.7 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 13x5
minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/5985-13x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5985-13x5gut.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1925

Old May 17th 08, 04:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

The well known galaxy trio in Draco was my second target for my recent
outing to good skies a bit northwest of Berlin.
Stars look strange in the right half of the picture, as if something was
protruding into the lightpath.
Colour version will follow.

Taken with a 10" Meade ACF at f/5.7 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 13x5
minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/5985-13x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Even with the funny stars there's more detail in all the galaxies than
any of the earlier versions of this trio you've taken that I have archived.

I was going to suggest a tilted camera as the cause. Though I see no
sign of it in your other image from the trip and I'd expect it to show
there as well. When I used the Meade electric focuser that couldn't
support the weight of my camera I'd get that type of star in one corner
or side of the frame depending on camera orientation relative to the
earth.

Collimation error can do that as well though again there's no sign in
the earlier image. In all my other imaging scopes I've owned over the
last 45 years bad collimation hurt the whole image. This scope is
different. Bad collimation just moves the corrected field to one side
or the other but stars look different in the bad part of the field in
that they are sharp edged on the side away from the good field and fuzzy
on the side toward the good part. I don't see that here.

So maybe there was some tree branch though you are working quite high in
the sky so that wouldn't seem likely. Odd.

Hope you find the source.

Rick

Old May 18th 08, 07:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

The spiral looks great... sure is a nice one.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old May 20th 08, 11:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

Great image Stefan! I had these on the chip last night but, the moon was
too bright.

John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3