ASTRO: M88

Old May 13th 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Default ASTRO: M88

Looking back at last year's data trying to find moon damaged shots I'd
not processed I found a directory labeled MISC. I was surprised to find
several nights of imaging that somehow had their files put in this
directory rather in the main directory for that month. One of those was
an image of M88. Seeing wasn't very good but it explains why it was
checked off my M object list yet I couldn't find it so had put it back
on the list.

The small dwarf galaxy down and right (southwest) of M88 is VCC 1400.
While a member of the Virgo cluster it appears not to be associated with
M88 as their red shifts are very different. M88 is actually moving away
from us at a high speed so while it is probably about 60 million light
years from its red shift indicates a distance of 118 million light
years. VCC 1400 has a more normal redshift indicating a distance of 35
million light years. Rather normal for Virgo cluster objects since we
are heading somewhat toward the cluster skewing the redshift to appear
closer than it really is.

Of more interest is the small red galaxy down and right of VCC 1400.
It's on a line from VCC 1400 through a faint galaxy and ending at a
bright blue star. Between the faint galaxy and blue star is a small,
very red, galaxy. It's red color got my eye. Normally I can't find
these guys in any catalog but this area has been included in the Sloan
Deep Sky Survey and its red shift measured. It is SDSS
J123146.84+141559.4. Per NED the redshift shows a light travel distance
of about 3.26 billion light years. That makes it the most distant
galaxy I've imaged that actually shows a hint of detail. I may have
imaged others even farther out but I've not found them on any survey to
know their distance.

When I started imaging in the early 60's I never dreamed I could image a
galaxy at such a distance.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M88L4X10RGB2X10X3R1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	1921

Old May 20th 08, 11:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John N. Gretchen III

great shot Rick!

--
John N. Gretchen III