An experiment too far? (off-topic)

Old August 25th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
[email protected]

Default An experiment too far? (off-topic)

Today (thanks to Nod's link to the most impressive Fortean Times web
site) I have been investigating the possibilities of constructing a
Leyden Jar. I was inspired by a description of such device on the
Fortean Times page relating to the Ark of the Covenant possibly
possessing the same unique properties.

http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/207_ark1.shtml

A description taken from a book published in 1899 describes the Leyden
Jar thus:

It consists of a glass jar, coated outside and inside with tinfoil to
within 2 or 3 cm of the top. It may therefore be regarded as a
condenser (capacitor) consisting of two parallel plates (positive and
negative) separated by a glass dielectric (insulator). The jar is
provided with a wooden lid, through the centre of which passes a brass
rod, terminating in a brass knob; a short length of metal chain is
attached to the lower end, and of sufficient length to touch the
tinfoil lining. The tinfoil serves as the insulated conductor, which
may be conveniently charged through the knob; the jar is either placed
on a table or held in the hand, so that the outer coating is
consequently earth-connected.

Tomorrow my mission will be to construct such a device using a milk
bottle, some tin-foil (or Baco!) a brass earthing spike (borrowed from
the garden that some wire or other was connected too), a brass knob
from the wardrobe, various other household items and a length of chain
from the kitchen sink plug.

Storms around here have been prevalent so it shouldn't be too difficult
to catch some of the power of lighting within the jar. I intend to
attach the brass knob to a lightning rod running down the side of my
local church. This I feel would make a suitable conductor.

The question is ...once I've captured the electricity what do I do with
it???? Thoughts???

Baz

Old August 25th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Jaxtraw

wrote:
[...]

If you need additional wire for your experiments, you'll probably find
extraneous lengths of it attached to various metalwork around your house-
especially attached to gas and water pipes. It is likely to be green and
yellow in colour. This extra wire is unncessary for the carriage of the
electrical fluid and handy materiel for the scavenging experimenter.

After your experiment, I'd advise cutting a gap in the church's "lightning
conductor". This will help save the church from accidentally "conducting
lightning".

Once you have "tamed the lightning", you can create gaiety among your
friends by offering the charged Leyden Jar to their infant children as an
entertaining toy. Hilarity is sure to ensue.

Ian

--
www.jaxtrawstudios.com
science fiction comics with shagging in

Old August 25th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Agamemnon

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Make love to it.....

Baz

Old August 25th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Chancellor_Goth

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Shove it up yer arse?

Old August 26th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
[email protected]

Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (25 Aug 2006 10:40:26 -0700) it happened
wrote in
. com:

Storms around here have been prevalent so it shouldn't be too difficult
to catch some of the power of lighting within the jar. I intend to
attach the brass knob to a lightning rod running down the side of my
local church. This I feel would make a suitable conductor.

The question is ...once I've captured the electricity what do I do with
it???? Thoughts???

You will not have to worry about that, as the exploding glass will have
pierced you so many times you wil be dead.

Do not do this, DO NOT DO THIS.

Thank you for you concern but you have no need to worry. I will be
taking suitable protective precautions to guard against any potential
electrical anomalies. For one - I rarely conduct my experiments using
myself as the guinea pig. Whilst I will be holding the video camera, my
friend Stig will be the one dealing with the jar. I have equipped Stig
with a pair of rubber Wellington boots and some marigolds (rubber
washing up gauntlets). As an extra precaution Stig will also be sat on
his motorcycle - the rubber tyres providing a secondary insulator from
electrical shock. The leyden Jar will sit on top of the fuel tank of
Stig's motorcycle so that he does not have to hold it with his hands.

The jar is now in the final stages of construction. The most difficult
part of the operation was lining the inside of the jar with foil.
Hopefully - should weather conditions be appropriate - we will be ready
to harness the power of lighting late this evening.

One possible use for the power would be as a secondary power source for
an electric powered motor-cycle - perhaps with "in-built" laden jar and
brass or copper whip aerial (for charging during actual travel.)

I will update tomorrow with a review of the experiment.

Bazza

Old August 26th 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro,sci.physics
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (26 Aug 2006 03:35:56 -0700) it happened
wrote in
. com:

Storms around here have been prevalent so it shouldn't be too difficult
to catch some of the power of lighting within the jar. I intend to
attach the brass knob to a lightning rod running down the side of my
local church. This I feel would make a suitable conductor.

The question is ...once I've captured the electricity what do I do with
it???? Thoughts???

You will not have to worry about that, as the exploding glass will have
pierced you so many times you wil be dead.

Do not do this, DO NOT DO THIS.

Thank you for you concern but you have no need to worry.

No, but you have.

I will be
taking suitable protective precautions to guard against any potential
electrical anomalies. For one - I rarely conduct my experiments using
myself as the guinea pig. Whilst I will be holding the video camera, my
friend Stig will be the one dealing with the jar. I have equipped Stig
with a pair of rubber Wellington boots and some marigolds (rubber
washing up gauntlets). As an extra precaution Stig will also be sat on
his motorcycle - the rubber tyres providing a secondary insulator from
electrical shock. The leyden Jar will sit on top of the fuel tank of
Stig's motorcycle so that he does not have to hold it with his hands.

You must be joking, I think by now, why not simply shoot your friend?

With half a megavolt or so and some damp weather, the lighting
will not even notice any rubber, just arc around it.
The air in your jar will ionize and heat to thousands of degrees
in a split second, the pressure will blow the bottle apart, the
glass will pierce your friend and the fuel tank, the plasma and arc will
ignite the fuel, what a mess.

You are a nutter if you do this.
Darwin award.

Do NOT DO THIS (2 x now)

Old August 26th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro,sci.physics
Edward Green

Jan Panteltje wrote:

You must be joking...

He is joking.

Old August 26th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sorcerer[_1_]

wrote in message
ups.com...

| Jan Panteltje wrote:
| On a sunny day (25 Aug 2006 10:40:26 -0700) it happened
| wrote in
| . com:
|
| Storms around here have been prevalent so it shouldn't be too difficult
| to catch some of the power of lighting within the jar. I intend to
| attach the brass knob to a lightning rod running down the side of my
| local church. This I feel would make a suitable conductor.
|
| The question is ...once I've captured the electricity what do I do with
| it???? Thoughts???
|
| You will not have to worry about that, as the exploding glass will have
| pierced you so many times you wil be dead.
|
| Do not do this, DO NOT DO THIS.
|
| Thank you for you concern but you have no need to worry. I will be
| taking suitable protective precautions to guard against any potential
| electrical anomalies. For one - I rarely conduct my experiments using
| myself as the guinea pig. Whilst I will be holding the video camera, my
| friend Stig will be the one dealing with the jar. I have equipped Stig
| with a pair of rubber Wellington boots and some marigolds (rubber
| washing up gauntlets). As an extra precaution Stig will also be sat on
| his motorcycle - the rubber tyres providing a secondary insulator from
| electrical shock. The leyden Jar will sit on top of the fuel tank of
| Stig's motorcycle so that he does not have to hold it with his hands.
|
| The jar is now in the final stages of construction. The most difficult
| part of the operation was lining the inside of the jar with foil.
| Hopefully - should weather conditions be appropriate - we will be ready
| to harness the power of lighting late this evening.
|
| One possible use for the power would be as a secondary power source for
| an electric powered motor-cycle - perhaps with "in-built" laden jar and
| brass or copper whip aerial (for charging during actual travel.)
|
| I will update tomorrow with a review of the experiment.
|
| Bazza

You should not have done that foul foil thing, you should have
taken the jar to a mirror manufacturer and had it coated with
aluminium, inside and out. I trust it was a pickled onion jar
and you enjoyed the onions.
Anyway, when you've caught the lightning you can stand the
jar on your desk and watch it crackle as it arcs between the
inside and outside, it will be a nice ornament or paperweight.
Make sure you remove any coating around the rim of the jar or
you'll have a short circuit -- and then screw the metal lid on
tight to keep the captured lightning in, or it might escape on
the way home. I had a lizard that escaped from a jam jar once,
and it was a pet lizard too, much more fun than guinea pigs.

Good luck, and don't lick the jar.
Androcles