Pluto needs your assistance.

Old August 29th 06, 01:37 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Default Pluto needs your assistance.

Please excuse the interruption to normal discussion but we need your
help.

As you will be well aware, the International Astronomers Union, last
week stripped Pluto of its status as a planet - meaning that we now
have eight planets on the solar system.

Details of the events can be found here;

The scientific community has started its own internal petition to have
the decision reversed, but there is also a petition that anyone can
sign;

http://pleasesavepluto.org

If you feel strongly that Pluto should not have been demoted from a
planet, then I encourage you to voice your opinion and to contact your
friends and family to do the same.

Collectively, we can make a difference.

Thanks,

Glenn.

Old August 29th 06, 02:49 AM posted to sci.astro
Llanzlan Klazmon

wrote in news:1156811833.388129.94790@
74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

Please excuse the interruption to normal discussion but we need your
help.

As you will be well aware, the International Astronomers Union, last
week stripped Pluto of its status as a planet - meaning that we now
have eight planets on the solar system.

Details of the events can be found here;

The scientific community has started its own internal petition to have
the decision reversed, but there is also a petition that anyone can
sign;

http://pleasesavepluto.org

If you feel strongly that Pluto should not have been demoted from a
planet, then I encourage you to voice your opinion and to contact your
friends and family to do the same.

Collectively, we can make a difference.

Why bother. When new scientific evidence was discovered, the Sun and Moon
were demoted from being planets. Over a hundred and fifty years ago Ceres
was demoted from full planetary status for much the same sort of reason
Pluto has now been demoted. Pluto and Ceres are still planets, they were
just recategorised as dwarf planet and minor planet respectively. There
may be some argument over whether Ceres should be moved from the minor
planet to dwarf planet category. In my personal opinion there are only four
planets in the solar system. ie Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. The
rest is just left over space junk ;-}.

Klazmon,

Thanks,

Glenn.

Old August 30th 06, 07:22 PM posted to sci.astro
Joseph Lazio

"GB" == Glenn Barlow writes:

GB Please excuse the interruption to normal discussion but we need
GB your help.

GB As you will be well aware, the International Astronomers Union,
GB last week stripped Pluto of its status as a planet - meaning that
GB we now have eight planets on the solar system.
[...]

GB The scientific community has started its own internal petition to
GB have the decision reversed, but there is also a petition that
GB anyone can sign;

GB http://pleasesavepluto.org

GB If you feel strongly that Pluto should not have been demoted from
GB a planet, then I encourage you to voice your opinion and to
GB contact your friends and family to do the same.

GB Collectively, we can make a difference.

One of the IMHO bad aspects of this entire affair. Science is not
supposed to be a democracy in which majority rules. It is supposed to
be a system in which evidence rules.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:
No means no, stop rape. |
Old August 31st 06, 08:17 AM posted to sci.astro
Jeff Root

Joseph Lazio wrote:

Science is not supposed to be a democracy in which majority
rules. It is supposed to be a system in which evidence rules.

Then the classification of a celestial body as a planet or
otherwise should not be determined by vote.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Old September 6th 06, 08:11 AM posted to sci.astro
Wally[_5_]

Joseph Lazio wrote:

"GB" == Glenn Barlow writes:

GB Please excuse the interruption to normal discussion but we need
GB your help.

GB As you will be well aware, the International Astronomers Union,
GB last week stripped Pluto of its status as a planet - meaning that
GB we now have eight planets on the solar system.
[...]

GB The scientific community has started its own internal petition to
GB have the decision reversed, but there is also a petition that
GB anyone can sign;

GB http://pleasesavepluto.org

GB If you feel strongly that Pluto should not have been demoted from
GB a planet, then I encourage you to voice your opinion and to
GB contact your friends and family to do the same.

GB Collectively, we can make a difference.

One of the IMHO bad aspects of this entire affair. Science is not
supposed to be a democracy in which majority rules.

Even a majority of unscientific morons. That means the Prague vote is null
and void. Thanks!

It is supposed to
be a system in which evidence rules.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:
No means no, stop rape. |
http://patriot.net/%7Ejlazio/
sci.astro FAQ at http://sciastro.astronomy.net/sci.astro.html

Pluto vote 'hijacked' in revolt George Astronomy Misc 72 August 30th 06 10:51 PM
Pluto vote 'hijacked' in revolt George Amateur Astronomy 64 August 30th 06 07:20 PM
Pluto not a planet? Steve Dufour Misc 14 May 28th 04 04:42 PM
New Solar System Model that explains DW 2004 / Quaoar / Kuiper Belt and Pluto hermesnines Misc 0 February 24th 04 08:49 PM