Mare Orientale pictures

Old March 28th 05, 08:27 PM
William C. Keel

Default Mare Orientale pictures

Our server has already rolled off the previous post asking about this,
so I'll have to start a new thread. Since it's spring break here, I
don't have the results of my students' shots of Mare Orientale
from last Thursday night. However, I did stick my old Canon AT-1
with some Kodacolor 400 behind a Barlow and took a few. I made
some quick scans (these sure look dirtier than they did on paper...)
which can be seen at least temporarily at
http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/ay203/orientale16a.jpg
http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/ay203/orientale16b.jpg
(almost 1.9 Mbytes each, oddly enough).
Too big for the webcam, too. The illumination is almost
identical to Lunar Orbiter picture IV-168-M, which helps
in identifying some features I'm not very used to seeing.

(Addendum: we found a new gotcha in film processing. Some students'
negatives were uniformly clear on one side of the film strip,
with the opposite half of the film looking just fine. Traced that,
finally, to one of the developing tanks having a crack and slow
leak, which went unnoticed for several rounds because they
usually left the tank in the sink/water jacket that was wet enough
from washing previous folks' film that the leak wasn't obvious.
Furthermore, since they would switch tanks, the problem took
a while to show a any pattern. One more for the list...)

Bill Keel
Old March 28th 05, 09:03 PM
CLT

Hi Bill,

http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/ay203/orientale16a.jpg
http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/ay203/orientale16b.jpg

What grade are your students in? Those are nice shots of a very difficult
target. You can easily see the bull's-eye appearance. Please relay my
congratulations to your students.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Are you interested in understanding optics?

************************************

Old March 28th 05, 09:29 PM
William C. Keel

CLT not@thisaddress wrote:
Hi Bill,

http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/ay203/orientale16a.jpg
http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/ay203/orientale16b.jpg

What grade are your students in? Those are nice shots of a very difficult
target. You can easily see the bull's-eye appearance. Please relay my
congratulations to your students.

They're from freshmen to juniors in college. (And actually, those
paticular shots were mine, but several of them got essentially
identical negatives, yet unprinted because of the intervention of
spring break. Not to mention one of them now having a week-old
baby - she complained a few weeks ago that her passenger was causing
trouble by repointing a 10-inch Newtonian every time she bent over
toward the eyepiece. I think we'll present both of them with
Baby's First Telescope to remember the year...)

Bill Keel
Old March 28th 05, 09:38 PM
Dennis Woos

"CLT" not@thisaddress wrote in message
Hi Bill,

http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/ay203/orientale16a.jpg
http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/ay203/orientale16b.jpg

What grade are your students in? Those are nice shots of a very difficult
target. You can easily see the bull's-eye appearance. Please relay my
congratulations to your students.

I don't see that Orientale is in the photo at all. My son Tim (12 years
old) took a webcam shot of this part of the moon on 3/25
(http://www.geocities.com/drseussboy/ - scroll all the way to the bottom)
and, comparing his pic to that found on page 181 of "The Modern Moon" we
think that he (and you) are not seeing any farther than Lacus Veris. You
can get a larger version of his image at
http://www.gmavt.net/~wooscon/CCDCap_0013_39_ps.bmp

What do you think?

Dennis

Old March 28th 05, 10:58 PM
William C. Keel

Dennis Woos wrote:
"CLT" not@thisaddress wrote in message
Hi Bill,

http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/ay203/orientale16a.jpg
http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/ay203/orientale16b.jpg

What grade are your students in? Those are nice shots of a very difficult
target. You can easily see the bull's-eye appearance. Please relay my
congratulations to your students.

I don't see that Orientale is in the photo at all. My son Tim (12 years
old) took a webcam shot of this part of the moon on 3/25
(http://www.geocities.com/drseussboy/ - scroll all the way to the bottom)
and, comparing his pic to that found on page 181 of "The Modern Moon" we
think that he (and you) are not seeing any farther than Lacus Veris. You
can get a larger version of his image at
http://www.gmavt.net/~wooscon/CCDCap_0013_39_ps.bmp

Just to be clear - I was using "Mare Orientale" to mean the whole
three-ring circus, not just the little mare puddle in the middle.
There are only a few spots within the inner mountain ring that
were yet in sunlight. (And when did the IAU ever add all those
other names for tiny bits of mare lavas that show up in Ruekl? Way too
many to keep up with, even if the ones around Orientale do
deserve their own names?)

Bill Keel
Old March 29th 05, 12:59 AM
William C. Keel

Dennis Woos wrote:

Just to be clear - I was using "Mare Orientale" to mean the whole
three-ring circus, not just the little mare puddle in the middle.
There are only a few spots within the inner mountain ring that
were yet in sunlight. (And when did the IAU ever add all those
other names for tiny bits of mare lavas that show up in Ruekl? Way too
many to keep up with, even if the ones around Orientale do
deserve their own names?)

Bill Keel

Gotcha. When you first posted, my son and I looked up Mare Orientale in
"The Modern Moon" and hoped that he could image the central mare. As the
images show, we don't think that the central mare is visible. Still, we
both learned a little more about the Moon, and webcam imaging. Finally, he
does most of his imaging with a 5" f/11.4 newtonian with a mirror he made
himself - a very, very nice mirror. Thanks.

A cool and rare combination at any age. When I was that age, I sort of
started a 6" mirror but hadthe opprtunity to get a secondhand Criterion
6-inch before it was finished...

The central mare was just barely visible the next night (albeit without
any shadowing). That's almost as favorable as libration gets.

Oh, yeah - your son may feel even better about his webcam work
on comparing to an attempt I made at this object using film when
a year or two older that that - scroll a bit on
http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/telescopes/nashville.html
and click on the first lunar image...

Bill Keel
(likewise still feeling his way through webcam work with a Neximage...)
Old March 29th 05, 01:22 AM
Dennis Woos

"William C. Keel" wrote in message
Dennis Woos wrote:

[...]

Yes, I think I see the central mare in that image. Great web page - I will
definitely show it to my sons. Thanks.

Dennis

Old March 29th 05, 03:38 AM
canopus56

William C. Keel wrote:
Just to be clear - I was using "Mare Orientale" to mean the whole
three-ring circus, not just the little mare puddle in the middle.
There are only a few spots within the inner mountain ring that
were yet in sunlight.

The following may be of help in identifying the features in your
photograph:

http://www.lpod.org/LPOD-2005-03-02.htm
http://www.shallowsky.com/images/sketch/orien610.jpg
http://www.lpod.org/LPOD-2004-10-29.htm

I took the liberty of making composite of the three images with lines
connecting the features. I will remove it from my website in a few
days. Hope you do not mind.

http://members.csolutions.net/fisher.../Orientale.jpg

The inner rook features look to be 50-100km behind the outer rook and
can be seen in Lunar Orbiter picture IV-168-M.
http://www.lpod.org/archive/2004/03/LPOD-2004-03-18.htm

Blowing up your image to high mag, a couple of neat light/dark features
are the shadow projections made by the outside of the eastern outer
rook on the outside of the eastern inner rook. At about midline of
your photo, there is a triangular mountain on the outer rook, which
projects a triangular shadow on the lighted feature on the inner rook.
To the north of midline, there is a notched depression in outer rook
ridge. That form is replicated by its shadow on the outside of the
inner eastern rook.

Blurry, but looks like you and your students had a good night in
Orientale.

- Canopus56

Old March 29th 05, 04:33 AM
CLT

I took the liberty of making composite of the three images with lines
connecting the features. I will remove it from my website in a few
days. Hope you do not mind.

http://members.csolutions.net/fisher.../Orientale.jpg

Nice work. That's a neat way to show what is what, especially with the
Orbiter shot at the top.