What would you like to be our major goals in space

Old December 5th 06, 06:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Christopher

Default What would you like to be our major goals in space

On 4 Dec 2006 17:34:42 -0800, "steve"
wrote:

What would you like to be our major goals in space over the next 50
years?

A grand tour of the solar system, with a LARGE crewed spacecraft, and
out as far a Xena.

--
Christopher

Old December 6th 06, 12:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy
steve[_1_]

Space might be the solution to other problems.
Global warming can be halted with space shields once we have cheap
access to LEO.

This access to LEO can in my opinion best be provided by a rotating
space elevator (bolo).

I am all for private space access but until they start pushing the
boundaries they are not really helping to solve any problems.
A private backed trip to Mars would be pushing the boundaries and could
be the next great race for the human species.

Old December 6th 06, 02:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Joe Strout

In article .com,
"steve" wrote:

Space might be the solution to other problems.

True.

Global warming can be halted with space shields once we have cheap
access to LEO.

No, global warming will be halted by not pouring carbon into the
atmosphere anymore, because we're using cheap space solar power instead.

This access to LEO can in my opinion best be provided by a rotating
space elevator (bolo).

That's certainly worth exploring.

I am all for private space access but until they start pushing the
boundaries they are not really helping to solve any problems.

I disagree, at least if by boundaries you mean technical ones. We don't
need new technical approaches so much as a healthy market environment
that leads to routine launches. When every launch gets a commemorative
patch, you know you're not seeing market-scale activity yet.

A private backed trip to Mars would be pushing the boundaries and could
be the next great race for the human species.

That's a good idea for 50 years from now. But in the first half of this
century, it's as ludicrous as it is pointless. Cislunar space (and
*maybe* NEOs) is where the money is.

Best,
- Joe
Old December 6th 06, 02:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Paul F. Dietz

Joe Strout wrote:

No, global warming will be halted by not pouring carbon into the
atmosphere anymore, because we're using cheap space solar power instead.

No it won't, Joe. SPS is a terrible substitute for many
uses of fossil fuels, even if by some miracle it does become
competitive with other sources of electricity.

Paul
Old December 6th 06, 03:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot

To whom were you replying to and to what were you replying?
Read and heed:
http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#quote
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/documents/quotingguide.html

Old December 6th 06, 03:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot

wrote:

What would you like to be our major goals in space over the next 50
years?

A grand tour of the solar system, with a LARGE crewed spacecraft, and
out as far a Xena.

Pluto made into a manditory early retirement resort planet for corrupt
politicians.
Old December 6th 06, 10:07 AM posted to sci.space.policy
John Schilling

wrote:

What would you like to be our major goals in space over the next 50
years ?

Examples are :-

1) Landing a man on Mars
2) Return to the Moon
3) Un-manned exploration of planets and moons in the Solar System
4) Space Station expansion

5) An end to the ridiculous notion that we all have to get together,
agree upon, and pursue, a single goal in space.

What's *your* goal in space? And what are you going to do to make
it happen?

--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *
Old December 6th 06, 11:14 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Charles Buckley

wrote:

What would you like to be our major goals in space over the next 50
years ?

Examples are :-

1) Landing a man on Mars
2) Return to the Moon
3) Un-manned exploration of planets and moons in the Solar System
4) Space Station expansion

5) An end to the ridiculous notion that we all have to get together,
agree upon, and pursue, a single goal in space.

What's *your* goal in space? And what are you going to do to make
it happen?

Personally, these days, I would be happy with small goals.

Just get something up there that we can build off of.
Old December 6th 06, 11:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

steve wrote:

Un-manned exploration of the planets and moons in the Solar System
should continue with more emphasis on landings rather than just fly-bys
although Cassini has been an example of a mission of which I fully
approve.
Obvious targets are the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, with a landing and
possible descent in to Europa being a priority.

I have an idea which I have put forward in sci.physics without any
response in sci.physics

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci...54f7245cc19ff0

admittedly it was in the contect of another subject.

The quickest way too ascertain life is to ascertain optically active
compounds. Therefore I think Europa should be orbited with a laser. The
ice fields of Europa are recent - last few million years. There are
fissures in the ice. This means that there is a circulation between ice
and water, so ice will be optically active.

- Ian Parker

Old December 6th 06, 06:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Mike Combs[_1_]

"Paul F. Dietz" wrote in message
Joe Strout wrote:

No, global warming will be halted by not pouring carbon into the
atmosphere anymore, because we're using cheap space solar power instead.

No it won't, Joe. SPS is a terrible substitute for many
uses of fossil fuels, even if by some miracle it does become
competitive with other sources of electricity.

This all turns on our assumptions concerning the economics of using SPS
power to synthesize liquid fuels, or on our assumptions about the future of
fuel-cell automobiles.

Still, in any case I can certainly see SPS replacing coal-fired power
plants. That's got to count for something wrt CO2 emissions.

But if SPS power can make any inroads at all against fossil fuels, Joe's
point that using orbital construction to create SPS would have much greater
leverage than using orbital construction to prevent some sunlight from
making it to the Earth is valid. A percentage or two difference in CO2
content of our atmosphere can make a big difference in terms of global
warming; a percentage or two difference in insolation, not nearly so much.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs