Advice on good places in the US for observing Mars

Old August 6th 03, 10:54 PM
Carlos Moreno

Default Advice on good places in the US for observing Mars

Hi,

We are located in Montreal, Canada (east coast, 45 north).

We are planning a road-trip through the US to observe Mars
(and thus gain some 10 degrees of Mars elevation above the
horizon).

Could you share some advice as for good places for
skywatching activities? Ideally, I'm looking for:

- Very dark areas (the obvious requirement)

- Not dangerous (danger from wildlife or danger from
humans :-( )

- Preferably on the east side of the US (we are on the
east coast, and it's already some 2000 to 2500 km that
we have to roll, south-bound -- we'd like to avoid the
long diagonal trip to, say, Arizona, or New Mexico, or
even Colorado)

- Hotels/motels in the area (say, within 50 to 100km from
the "camping" site) not too expensive (hey, a man's
got to sleep during the day! ;-))...

- As a bonus, if there were mountains accessible by car,
that would be great! (say, 1000m above sea level, or
mainly, 1000m above any village or source of light
pollution)

Looking at the light pollution map for North America (at
http://www.lightpollution.it), I see just a couple of
apparently dark spots). One -- the apparently optimum
spot -- is down in Florida, near Tallahassee; the Cape
San Blas area. Is it a good area?

There seems to be other good spots to the Alabama and
Mississippi area (around Birmingham, maybe?). I guess
those dark spots might be the southern Talladega National
Forest? Or maybe William Bankhead National Forest?
What about Holly Springs National Forest, in Mississippi?
Are those N.F. areas accessible? Or at least, are the
surroundings dark and safe enough?

I'll appreciate any advice that you may share -- both
on the specific above questions, or any other advice
and ideas you may want to offer.

Thanks!

Carlos

Old August 6th 03, 11:46 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

Carlos Moreno wrote in news:HQeYa.68471
:

Hi,

We are located in Montreal, Canada (east coast, 45 north).

We are planning a road-trip through the US to observe Mars
(and thus gain some 10 degrees of Mars elevation above the
horizon).

Could you share some advice as for good places for
skywatching activities? Ideally, I'm looking for:

- Very dark areas (the obvious requirement)

No. Light polution is not an issue at all with viewing Mars.

- Not dangerous (danger from wildlife or danger from
humans :-( )

- Preferably on the east side of the US (we are on the
east coast, and it's already some 2000 to 2500 km that
we have to roll, south-bound -- we'd like to avoid the
long diagonal trip to, say, Arizona, or New Mexico, or
even Colorado)

The further south the better. I've never been there but they say
south Florida has very good seeing.

L.

Old August 7th 03, 01:37 AM
Rod Mollise

How about somewhere near Grandfather Mountain North Carolina

Hi:

Maybe...but usually you've gotta get down in the SWAMP for that really great
planetary seeing...you know the kind where you get waver....30 seconds
pass...waver...etc.

:-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old August 7th 03, 03:46 AM
Carlos Moreno

Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th wrote:

- Very dark areas (the obvious requirement)

No. Light polution is not an issue at all with viewing Mars.

Of course -- I knew that!! :-)

I was not specific enough... The thing is, I will be
seeing Mars most of the time, of course. But... While
I'm at it, I'd like to enjoy seeing some of the faint
deep-sky wonders; that's why I would like dark sky.

But it's true that there's not much I will see there
that I can't see from, say, 300 km north from where I
am. And there (300km north) I do have *really* dark
sky at my disposal :-)

So, I guess it's worth considering the possibility of
dropping the dark sky requirement...

Carlos

Old August 7th 03, 04:17 AM
bwhiting

Carlos,
it can be a half and half situation....there are
lots of relatively dark skies down 'south' away
from major cities.. the mid-atlantic star party
is held in the southern parts of N.C., near Pinehurst, NC.,
Many of the Katabwa County observers either go up
Mt. Mitchell to observe (highest point east of the
Mississippi), or use Julian Price state park, mile
marker 298 on the Blue-Ridge Parkway, near Blowing
Rock, NC.....so there are plenty of relatively
dark sky sites...not perfect mind you...these are
not a Spruceknob WVA or Cherry Springs State Park (PA)...
but sure beats observing in the middle of Raleigh, NC. ;-)
Clear Skies,
Tom W.

BTW, we will be observing Mars, et al from CSSP mentioned
above in Potter County, PA, near Coudersport, at the Black
Forest Star Party....unfortunately I believe the limited
registration is already closed for that one. But there are
other fine dark sky observing sites around Coudersport, PA.
And it would mean a much shorter trip for you, but I can't
guarantee good weather for our central PA region, or good seeing.

Old August 7th 03, 06:06 AM
Carlos Moreno

Rod Mollise wrote:

Unfortunately, unless the current weather pattern breaks, you ain't gonna see
nuttin! ;-(

Oh yeah! I meant to ask... Is the second half of August
still Tornados season down there? If yes, then I guess
I should stay as far away from the coast? 200? 300 km?
Is northern Alabama/Mississippi a safer place? (safer
not as in my safety, but as in a "safe bet" to have
good chances of permitting weather)

Thanks,

Carlos

Old August 7th 03, 08:01 AM
bwhiting

I know there is a road up to Mt. Mitchell, but I'm not sure
of grandfather mountain...I've heard that Mt. Mitchell has
its own little weather system up there at 6684 feet MSL.
We need to get some N. Carolinans in on this...I'm up in Erie
trying to tell a Canadian about N. Carolina sites!!
Only because I visited down there a few times.
We need the 'horses' mouth, or something like that.
Clear Skies,
Tom W.

Carlos Moreno wrote:
Richard Kenney wrote:

How about somewhere near Grandfather Mountain North Carolina

Man, I must be blind *and* really bad in Geography ;-)

I'm trying to locate this on the map, but I don't see it (and
the map I have shows N.C. in no less than 17 x 8 inches!!!)

I guess that location must be near the Appalachians?

Are those [The Appalachians] accessible? (by car, that is).
Mount Mitchell has, according to the information on this map,
a respectable 6684 ft! The air must be pretty nice up there!!

And N.C. definitely sounds good, at least as one of the stops
(I'm assuming we'll take 3 or 4 days to get down there,
assuming we go all the way down to Florida). Maybe a first
stop at N.Y. Adirondack Park, then continue and stop in
Pennsylvania, then continue to West Virginia (it looks like
the *huge* black spot in the light pollution map must be
W.V. -- maybe the Monongahela Forest? Or could it be the
Appalachians in Virginia?), then to North Carolina, and
then I guess straight to Florida? Does it sound feasable?

Thanks!

Carlos

Old August 7th 03, 08:47 PM
Richard Kenney

Here is the home page for Grandfather Mountain.
http://www.grandfather.com/
If this is inconvenient you might consider The Great Smoky Mountain
National Park. The Appalachian Trail runs through the park. It is not
like most national parks with moocher bears and the like, tourist traps
are few and far between. The trail offers semi easy access to dark
locations and provides primitive camp sights.

Old August 9th 03, 04:05 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:54:18 -0400, Carlos Moreno ...reflected:

[...]

I live in Mississippi, and travel throughout the state
on a regualr basis. There's a slew of dark-sky sites within
her borders, however...

Here, it's a pure existence, no-nonsense, and God-
fearing. If you come, don't bring any drugs, cut your hair
if it's long(men only), and leave any and all radical ideas,
and negative opinions about the state, behind you, and
you'll do and be fine.

But as with travelling and visiting any area of the
country, always watch your back in any case.

I'll appreciate any advice that you may share -- both
on the specific above questions, or any other advice
and ideas you may want to offer.

Thanks!

You're most welcome.

Alan