35 Years Ago - Apollo 8

Old December 25th 03, 05:49 PM
Pat Flannery

Default 35 Years Ago - Apollo 8

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

I wouldn't know, but this gives me the chance to ask if Arthur C
Clarke ever grumbled about the jeep chase in JP being straight out of
his story "Time's Arrow".

S-h-h-h-s-h....that wasn't plagiarism; that was Steven Spielberg being
"inspired" and "paying homage to" a classic literary scene... Lucas paid
so much homage in the original "Star Wars" trilogy that there is but
little of those three movies that aren't "inspired" by one thing or another.

Pat

Old December 25th 03, 06:02 PM
Pat Flannery

Rick DeNatale wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:37:02 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote:

I'll tell you one thing- I'll remember watching that motor shutdown on
Gemini 6 on TV for the rest of my life...I knew right off the bat that
something was very wrong, and sat back in fixated horror waiting for the
inevitable explosion...you got to see _lots_ of rockets blow up back in
those days.

We now return you to actual reality.

Okay, smart boy...you ask anyone who was alive back then just how many
rockets they saw go "BOOM" between TV and the movie newsreels...
something, anything, going odd on launching was the inevitable prelude
to The Great Big Ball Of Fire; and a controlled shutdown on ignition was
something so rare that it seemed unheard of.
We all knew how an Atlas rocket worked: you pushed the button, and it
exploded immediately....or rose into the air....went out of
control...and then exploded. :-)

Pat

Old December 25th 03, 08:39 PM
Chris Jones

Pat Flannery writes:

I'll tell you one thing- I'll remember watching that motor shutdown on Gemini
6 on TV for the rest of my life...I knew right off the bat that something was
very wrong, and sat back in fixated horror waiting for the inevitable
explosion...you got to see _lots_ of rockets blow up back in those days.

By 1965 they didn't blow up so often (although the reason Gemini 6 was
being launched after Gemini 7 was that its Agena had gone boom, but off
camera). I remember watching that one too, and when it didn't lift off
right away, *I* did: rose up out of my seat in fascination. My mother,
sitting across the room, said, "Is something wrong?" since I was the
resident space nerd (12 at the time). I remember going "Shhh!" because
I was trying to hear what was being said. I don't think the
communications with the spacecraft were live, though I heard them later,
but I do remember the smoke dissipating and a high pitched sound that
was unusual, then voices saying there had been a shutdown and they were
safing the bad.

Titan IIs, having hypergolic fuel, wouldn't have had such a spectacular
explosion anyway, not that that would be any comfort to anyone sitting
on top of one. The flame burned almost invisibly and not as explosively
as LOX/RP1.
Old December 26th 03, 04:56 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
S-h-h-h-s-h....that wasn't plagiarism; that was Steven Spielberg being
"inspired" and "paying homage to" a classic literary scene... Lucas paid
so much homage in the original "Star Wars" trilogy that there is but
little of those three movies that aren't "inspired" by one thing or

another.

Oh, I'd claim the latest two weren't inspired by much at all. Other than
perhaps dollar signs.

Pat

Old December 26th 03, 03:00 PM
Rick DeNatale

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 12:02:59 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote:

Rick DeNatale wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:37:02 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote:

I'll tell you one thing- I'll remember watching that motor shutdown on
Gemini 6 on TV for the rest of my life...I knew right off the bat that
something was very wrong, and sat back in fixated horror waiting for the
inevitable explosion...you got to see _lots_ of rockets blow up back in
those days.

.... Meat cleaver taken to my posting

We now return you to actual reality.

Okay, smart boy...you ask anyone who was alive back then just how many
rockets they saw go "BOOM" between TV and the movie newsreels...

Pat, I think you have a future in making political commercials, you
managed to make it seem that I was contradicting you rather than taking a
jab at the Hallerbs of the group.

And yes, I was alive back then, and witnessed the events, although I must
admit I wasn't posting to usenet nearly as much as Hallerb was back then
in the late 50s and early 60s. G
Old December 26th 03, 08:14 PM
Pat Flannery

Rick DeNatale wrote:

Pat, I think you have a future in making political commercials, you
managed to make it seem that I was contradicting you rather than taking a
jab at the Hallerbs of the group.

Way I read it, you were putting me _in with_ the hallerbs of the
group... I'm sorry if I got that wrong... but you realize the dire
insult such a thing would be.

And yes, I was alive back then, and witnessed the events, although I must
admit I wasn't posting to usenet nearly as much as Hallerb was back then
in the late 50s and early 60s. G

The solution to Hallerb's spelling problem is simple; he must learn to
post in another language ...I think Attic Latin would be the the ideal one.
Either that, or this: http://users.snowcrest.net/donnelly/piglatin.html
Here is the beginning of Caesar's "The Gallic Wars"- in English:
"All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae inhabit,
the Aquitani another, those who in their own language are called Celts,
in our Gauls, the third. All these differ from each other in language,
customs and laws.

And he

Allway Aulgay isway ividedday intoway eethray artspay, oneway
ofway ichwhay ethay Elgaebay inhabitway, ethay Aquitaniway
anotherway, osethay owhay inway eirthay ownway anguagelay areway
alledcay Eltscay, inway ourway Aulsgay, ethay irdthay. Allway
esethay ifferday omfray eachway otherway inway anguagelay,
ustomscay andway awslay.

In the same manner; a Hallerb posting:

"I wasnt the original poster. Its a impersonator, a low tech one who isnt real
knowledgable...........

Still I believe the saturn family of launch vehicles would of cost less and
been safer long term than the shuttle. Besides wqe wouldnt necessarily be stuck
in LEO. The ISS would be a lot better too."

....and its translation:

"Iway asntway ethay originalway osterpay. Itsway away
impersonatorway, away owlay echtay oneway owhay isntway ealray
owledgableknay...........

Illstay Iway elievebay ethay aturnsay amilyfay ofway aunchlay
ehiclesvay ouldway ofway ostcay esslay andway
eenbay afersay onglay ermtay anthay ethay uttleshay. Esidesbay
ewqay ouldntway ecessarilynay ebay uckstay
inway EOLAY. Ethay ISSWAY ouldway ebay away otlay etterbay ootay."

Note the improvement in spelling evident in the translation. Here consistent grammatical laws are being employed in regards to spelling. :-)

Atpay

Old January 9th 04, 08:35 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message
Apollo woud of gone gone to mars or a earth crossing asteroid.

Carrying your answer, no doubt.
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old January 11th 04, 02:07 AM
LooseChanj

On or about Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:35:30 -0500, Scott Hedrick made the sensational claim that:
"Hallerb" wrote in message
Apollo woud of gone gone to mars or a earth crossing asteroid.

Carrying your answer, no doubt.

Allright I've had it. Since it seems like every single f**king post you make
is a shot at haller asking when the hell he's gonna answer your question, and
you, I, and everyone else on the earth PLUS the Venusian firewomen know he's
never going to...*PLONK*
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | This space is for rent
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | Inquire within if you