What's an x.xx" steel disk? (in Celestron ad)

Old September 5th 03, 07:25 PM
Hari Seldon

Default What's an x.xx" steel disk? (in Celestron ad)

I was looking at the specifications of Celestron's CGE Series scopes
in the October S&T issue and came across the term * x.xx" stainless
steel disk *.
Can anybody tell me what that thing is?
Somehow it reminds me of a typical error made in various reports,
where a xxx text string marks the space for a figure which is supposed
to be entered at a later stage, but is left unedited and appears in
the final document.
(BTW, I've made that error myself more than a few times...)
Hari Seldon
Foundation, Terminus
Old September 5th 03, 09:38 PM
etok

"Hari Seldon" wrote in message
m...
I was looking at the specifications of Celestron's CGE Series scopes
in the October S&T issue and came across the term * x.xx" stainless
steel disk *.
Can anybody tell me what that thing is?
Somehow it reminds me of a typical error made in various reports,
where a xxx text string marks the space for a figure which is supposed
to be entered at a later stage, but is left unedited and appears in
the final document.
(BTW, I've made that error myself more than a few times...)
Hari Seldon
Foundation, Terminus

x.xx should be 4.65".

That will be x.xx dollars.

Next.

Etok

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old September 5th 03, 11:35 PM
Steve Little

"Hari Seldon" wrote in message
m...
I was looking at the specifications of Celestron's CGE Series scopes
in the October S&T issue and came across the term * x.xx" stainless
steel disk *.
Can anybody tell me what that thing is?
Somehow it reminds me of a typical error made in various reports,
where a xxx text string marks the space for a figure which is supposed
to be entered at a later stage, but is left unedited and appears in
the final document.
(BTW, I've made that error myself more than a few times...)
Hari Seldon
Foundation, Terminus

Celestron is waiting to see what Meade's x.xx is so they can out do it.

Old September 6th 03, 12:21 AM
etok

"Steve Little" wrote in message

"Hari Seldon" wrote in message
m...
I was looking at the specifications of Celestron's CGE Series scopes
in the October S&T issue and came across the term * x.xx" stainless
steel disk *.
Can anybody tell me what that thing is?
Somehow it reminds me of a typical error made in various reports,
where a xxx text string marks the space for a figure which is supposed
to be entered at a later stage, but is left unedited and appears in
the final document.
(BTW, I've made that error myself more than a few times...)
Hari Seldon
Foundation, Terminus

Celestron is waiting to see what Meade's x.xx is so they can out do it.

Best post of the day, IMHO.

Regards,

Old September 6th 03, 02:25 AM
Ratboy99

Celestron is waiting to see what Meade's x.xx is so they can out do it.

You win, I just fell off my chair.
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address
Old September 6th 03, 07:50 PM
Bill Foley

Reminds me of the 1970's, when computer programmers and analysts were in demand
and not from India. There was a headhunter outfit in Kansas City, with several
company names but the same address and phone number. They would call us a
Cummins Engine Co. and have us rate ourselves on several things, such as
Assembler Language, PL/I, COBOL, IMS, CICS, and the like. One of the guys
there got a call and added, after giving them the ratings they asked, that he
was an expert on System/KLX, something he made up out of whole cloth. Later
some persons called by this headhunter outfit were asked to rate themselves on
System/KLX.
I don't think the George W. Bush was involved, but I'm sure the New York Times
will try to stick him with that.
I later renamed the good old mainframe Adventure game (the Fortran version of
Caves) as System/KLX and became one of the world's foremost KLX gurus.

Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

Old September 7th 03, 04:08 PM
Hari Seldon

x.xx should be 4.65".
That will be x.xx dollars.

Then is it really a case of an overlooked entry in the final ad
document by Celestron? I am referring to page 57 (far right, under the
RA and Dec axis specifications) of the Oct S&T.
Hari
Old September 7th 03, 06:21 PM
Bill Foley

Somewhere here I still have my ZORK map rolled-up in a tube

I used block diagramming sheets to make a sort of map of Colossal Cave.
But I identified all the names and directions in the runes used in
"The Hobbit". Of course, a lot of the directions were randomized, so
the map was not too accurate on those.
I gave it to the Director of Data Processing as a going-away gift. He had
no clue as to the Hobbit runes, which were pretty close to Norse runes.

Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

Old September 10th 03, 01:45 AM
Orion

Of course, In Meade's, case it will be a "patent pending" y.yy version
Orion

"Ratboy99" wrote in message
Celestron is waiting to see what Meade's x.xx is so they can out do it.

You win, I just fell off my chair.
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address

---

A giant cocoon of molecular hydrogen discovered around a massiveyoung star (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 December 10th 03 07:34 PM
Workshop on Chondrites and the Protoplanetary Disk Ron Baalke Science 0 November 27th 03 12:48 AM
Stronger Steel sanman Technology 0 July 18th 03 08:55 PM
Stronger Steel sanman Policy 0 July 18th 03 08:54 PM