....The US Manned Space Program Should be Abandoned !

Old January 12th 07, 01:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.written
Paul F. Dietz

Default ....The US Manned Space Program Should be Abandoned !

Sorcerer Androcles wrote:
"kT" wrote in message ...

Sorcerer Androcles wrote:

Now get off the world wide web, it uses commercial satellites

Er ... no ... mostly it uses undersea cables.

HAHAHA!
Ever seen one of these, or are you still living in 1907?
http://www.lamit.ro/images/satellite-dish-lamit-hub.jpg
How about one of these?
http://www.benelec.com.au/AVL_GPS_Products/02944308.htm
or one of these?
http://www.drgibson.com/towers/milfordsun300.jpg
Err... no..
HAHAHAHA!

Hey idiot,

He is right, the internet (on which the WWW is implemented) is mostly
carried over fiber optics these days. Lose all satellites and it would
continue to work just fine.

Why you imagined a picture of a GPS RECEIVER should contradict that,
well, only your doctor and the judge who signed your commitment papers
could know.

Paul
Old January 12th 07, 01:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.written
André, PE1PQX

Paul F. Dietz bracht volgend idée uit :
Sorcerer Androcles wrote:
"kT" wrote in message

Sorcerer Androcles wrote:

[...]

What about the (daily) news from for example Baghdad, Iraq, or from
Kabu, Afghanistan to name something, that is not over fiber-optics or
via internet.
Also 'in the middle of no-where' the only way of cumminication
(besides HF radio's) is satellite phones.

Old January 12th 07, 01:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.written
Michael Turner

kT wrote:

Of course we can't [prove the above], they aren't mathematical statements.

Long answer: "You exist" isn't a mathematical statement, but as far as
I'm concerned, the very existence of a (halfway) coherent response from
you is enough proof of your existence, if not of your coherence.
"Hydroelectric dams produce electricity" isn't a mathematical
statement, but it doesn't need to be. "SPS has a good business case"
might be reduced to some mathematical formulae, apparently bullet-proof
under scrutiny, but based on assumptions that you can't prove, or even
support very well in evidence.

Short answer: You knew what I meant. You can split hairs or you can
make a point. What's your point? Or do you even have one?

-michael turner
www.transcendentalbloviation.blogspot.com

Old January 12th 07, 02:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.written
Paul F. Dietz

André wrote:

What about the (daily) news from for example Baghdad, Iraq, or from
Kabu, Afghanistan to name something, that is not over fiber-optics or
via internet.
Also 'in the middle of no-where' the only way of cumminication (besides
HF radio's) is satellite phones.

What about them? They're irrelevant to the silly argument
('get off the internet') I was skewering.

Paul
Old January 12th 07, 02:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.written
Sorcerer Androcles[_1_]

Sorcerer Androcles wrote:
"kT" wrote in message

Sorcerer Androcles wrote:

[...]

The issue was "Jonathan" whining about NASA.
I used the internet as a single example.
Many people use satellites for TV, internet, voice phone calls across
the Atlantic, GPS of course... someone has to launch them and they
don't last forever, NASA is in the launch business.
Dietz is merely another argumentative troll and ****head I plonked
ages ago, he's ignored so he reverts to insult. He'll remain ignored.

Old January 12th 07, 02:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.written
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 12 Jan 2007 05:56:08 -0800, in a place far, far away, "Michael
Turner" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

kT wrote:

Of course we can't [prove the above], they aren't mathematical statements.

Long answer: "You exist" isn't a mathematical statement, but as far as
I'm concerned, the very existence of a (halfway) coherent response from
you is enough proof of your existence, if not of your coherence.
"Hydroelectric dams produce electricity" isn't a mathematical
statement, but it doesn't need to be. "SPS has a good business case"
might be reduced to some mathematical formulae, apparently bullet-proof
under scrutiny, but based on assumptions that you can't prove, or even
support very well in evidence.

Short answer: You knew what I meant. You can split hairs or you can
make a point. What's your point? Or do you even have one?

He's a troll. Ignore/killfile him, as most of the rest of us have.
Old January 12th 07, 02:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.written
André, PE1PQX

Paul F. Dietz beweerde :
André wrote:

What about the (daily) news from for example Baghdad, Iraq, or from Kabu,
Afghanistan to name something, that is not over fiber-optics or via
internet.
Also 'in the middle of no-where' the only way of cumminication (besides HF
radio's) is satellite phones.

What about them? They're irrelevant to the silly argument
('get off the internet') I was skewering.

Paul

In this case: get the f*ck back to the middle-ages, there are even no
electrical equipment!!!
Jack-ass...

PLOINK!

Old January 12th 07, 03:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.written
kT

Michael Turner wrote:

kT wrote:

Of course we can't [prove the above], they aren't mathematical statements.

Long answer: "You exist" isn't a mathematical statement, but as far as
I'm concerned, the very existence of a (halfway) coherent response from
you is enough proof of your existence, if not of your coherence.
"Hydroelectric dams produce electricity" isn't a mathematical
statement, but it doesn't need to be. "SPS has a good business case"
might be reduced to some mathematical formulae, apparently bullet-proof
under scrutiny, but based on assumptions that you can't prove, or even
support very well in evidence.

Short answer: You knew what I meant. You can split hairs or you can
make a point. What's your point? Or do you even have one?

Sure I do : Proof is mathematical, science is demonstrative.

You don't exist because I can or can't prove you exist.

I can't even prove that a point exists, and it's looking more and more
like they don't.

--
The Tsiolkovsky Group : http://www.lifeform.org

My Planetary BLOB : http://cosmic.lifeform.org

Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old January 12th 07, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.written
Jonathan Schattke

kT wrote:
Michael Turner wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
.... the Nasa administrator gives this reason for
going back to the moon.

You can offer *arguments* for (or against) such propositions,

Of course we can't, they aren't mathematical statements.

Actually, rhetoric can be made for any viewpoint, so you're both wrong.

Old January 12th 07, 04:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.written
kT

Jonathan Schattke wrote:
kT wrote:
Michael Turner wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
.... the Nasa administrator gives this reason for
going back to the moon.
You can offer *arguments* for (or against) such propositions,

Of course we can't, they aren't mathematical statements.

Actually, rhetoric can be made for any viewpoint, so you're both wrong.

Actually, it's a fundamental exercise of rhetoric, and a widely accepted
'belief' in the sciences and mathematics. It's what distinguishes them.

Also, it is easily demonstrated by the available evidence.

Thus, mathematics itself has a firm scientific basis.