Apogee Books & Rocket Science

Old July 22nd 05, 03:41 AM
Andre Lieven

Default Apogee Books & Rocket Science

I don't know if anyone on this group has seen any of the Discovery
Canada aired 12 part documentary series on the history of the Space
Age entitled " Rocket Science ", but if you have not, you've missed
a treat.

One of the things that really peeves me about many documentaries
is when they're talking about one thing, Say, an Iowa class
battleship, in a docu on such ships, while showing footage of
different other ships, none of the Iowas.

The same with countless docus on rockets and space. Well, one
nifty thing about this series was that, when they talked about
it, thats exactly what they showed on the screen as they did so.

The folks at Apogee Books are selling the series on DVD, from
what I see on their site, its about $22 Cdn., plus $6 Cdn shipping.
Not bad for three discs, and 9 hours of program.

I only missed getting one at TorontoTrek, last weekend, due to
not having had time to get to the dealers' room until after they
had sold out of their at con stock. Damn. I had two panels
within an hour of us getting to the hotel Friday night, and two
more, 10-noon Saturday. Whew.

Disclaimer: My only relationship with Apogee is owning several
of their books.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old July 22nd 05, 05:18 AM
Stan Marsh

The series is indeed very entertaining. Don't know about the exchange rate,
but the series is $19 US on Amazon.com. It's an unbeatable value for 9
hours of video.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

I especially liked the earlier episodes (thru Mercury and Gemini), there was
a good bit of video there that I hadn't seen before. The later episodes
started reusing footage, as well as using some footage slightly out of
context, but that is a relatively minor gripe. The producers' enthusiasm
for the subject matter overcomes any weaknesses that exist.

It's practically criminal that this has never been shown in the U.S. So
many "new" space documentaries are mere repackagings of older documentaries
these days. Puzzling that Discovery Channel(s) hasn't broadcast this in the
States...

Mighty good watchin' indeed! Highly recommended.

Stan Marsh