WIRE ... Part 1

Old June 25th 04, 11:51 AM
LaDonna Wyss

"Frank Scrooby" wrote in message ...
Hi all
"rk" wrote in message
Perhaps of some interest.

- - - -

SELECTION OF WIRE

very interesting stuff on historical spacecraft wire snipped

Any info on where the wiring was sourced from? I always love knowing facts
like that, which company, and more importantly if the company knew what
their product was going to be used for. Or was this stuff custom made in a
NASA workshop somewhere?

Apologies if this is a stupid question(s).

Thanks and regards
Frank Scrooby

Raychem.
LaDonna
Old June 25th 04, 12:58 PM
Herb Schaltegger

"Frank Scrooby" wrote:

Hi all
"rk" wrote in message
Perhaps of some interest.

- - - -

SELECTION OF WIRE

very interesting stuff on historical spacecraft wire snipped

Any info on where the wiring was sourced from? I always love knowing facts
like that, which company, and more importantly if the company knew what
their product was going to be used for. Or was this stuff custom made in a
NASA workshop somewhere?

Apologies if this is a stupid question(s).

Thanks and regards
Frank Scrooby

That's not a stupid question at all. In fact, given "LaDonna's" absurd
theory concerning an RCS fire in the AS-204 SM, I'd very much like her
to produce specifications and envelope drawings for the helium
pressurization system valves and the hypergolic propellant valves. I'd
bet that they were manufactured by one of only a handful of companies
that do this kind of thing; I'll withhold my guess until after "LaDonna"
produces that information - which, as a thorough and experience
"investigator", she should have readily to hand.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old June 25th 04, 01:00 PM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
RK, this is all very interesting, but how does this answer the
question I posted for you days ago?

How does your statement answer the question I posted for *you* many days ago
about the law enforcement officials you spoke to about Apollo 1? Perhaps
you'd have better results getting answers if you'd start giving them. You
seem to have plenty of spare time.

Old June 25th 04, 05:06 PM
Henry Spencer

Kevin Willoughby wrote:
Fuses are used in the Apollo Spacecraft
primarily in instrumentation circuits to protect equipment from electrical
overload.

This surprises me. A fuse is a one-shot device. Once the fuse blows, the
instrumentation circuits are unusable. Or were all fuses within reach of
the crew?

You sometimes see fuses even in unmanned spacecraft, where there is no
possibility of replacement. It's better to have a fuse blow, permanently
cutting off power to a malfunctioning piece of equipment, than to have the
ailing equipment take the whole power system down with it.

(Even the fuses and/or circuit breakers in your house are mostly there to
protect the wiring, not to protect you or your appliances. You can get an
electrocution or quite an impressive appliance fire while remaining within
the capacity of the fuse/breaker.)
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old June 25th 04, 06:40 PM
OM

On 24 Jun 2004 23:38:51 GMT, rk
wrote:

Does George accept repeats? I was going to cross-post them but decided not to
as that process is kind of slow (no offense to George, just the nature of the
beast of manually moderated newsgroups). On the other hand, the moderation
and slower response times do have beneficial effects at times.

....Agreed. However, I will give George credit on this: When the
Columbia Loss FAQ was going through daily and even *hourly* changes,
the lag time between .tech and the unmoderated groups was almost
negligible, perhaps an hour or two at the most.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 25th 04, 10:40 PM
LaDonna Wyss

Herb Schaltegger wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Frank Scrooby" wrote:

Hi all
"rk" wrote in message
Perhaps of some interest.

- - - -

[...]

Envelope drawings on a spacecraft that hasn't flown in over 30 years
are rather difficult to come by, something you would know if you were
even half-way serious, Herb. I do have someone looking into those
drawings, but given the fact the company changed hands several times
over the years he is doing me a HUGE favor going through their
archives.
HOWEVER, the schematic of the He valves IS on the Internet, as is the
timeline indicating the problems they had with those valves and the
pyro relays. As I told Hedrick, if you won't take the time to go
through what is ALREADY available on the Internet, why in the WORLD
would I waste my valuable and all-too-cramped time coming up with
documents that are 1. Very hard to get; and 2. You won't spend 30
seconds reviewing?
LaDonna
Old June 25th 04, 11:16 PM
Rusty Barton

On 24 Jun 2004 23:18:36 GMT, rk
wrote:

The Mercury Spacecraft used a polyolefin insulated conductor as its basic
wiring. This same wire construction was proposed for use on the Gemini
Spacecraft. Tests conducted at MSC, in 1963, showed that this type of
insulation supports combustion in an oxygen atmosphere. The use of this wiring
was discontinued in the pressurized area of the Gemini Spacecraft. In its
place, the Gemini Spacecraft used a wire whose insulation, TFE Teflon, will
not support combustion.

Looks like NASA dodged a bullet there. James Webb was right to move on
to Gemini and not fly the Mercury-Atlas 10 mission.

- Rusty Barton
Old June 26th 04, 12:41 AM
Pat Flannery

Rusty Barton wrote:

Looks like NASA dodged a bullet there. James Webb was right to move on
to Gemini and not fly the Mercury-Atlas 10 mission.

Especially given the fact that Gordon Cooper smelled insulation burning
when his capsule's systems started to fail.

Pat