Huygens

Old January 16th 05, 05:57 PM
Richard Darn

Default Huygens

Anyone know how many more images might be forthcoming from the Huygen's
data?

Richard

Old January 16th 05, 06:22 PM
Karatepe

Richard Darn wrote:
Anyone know how many more images might be forthcoming from the Huygen's
data?

Richard

This site has some great mosaics made from the images:

http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Main/Huygens

This one is particularly nice:
http://anthony.liekens.net/titan/bigmosaic.jpg
Old January 16th 05, 06:33 PM
Marcus O'Neill

Richard Darn wrote:

Anyone know how many more images might be forthcoming from the Huygen's
data?

Around 350 images were received, so we should see plenty more over the
next days and weeks. Huygens' cameras actually took some 700 photos, but
half were lost due to a programming error that prevented one of the
probe's two radio channels from activating.

Marcus
Old January 16th 05, 06:52 PM
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:22:13 GMT, Karatepe wrote:

| Richard Darn wrote:
| Anyone know how many more images might be forthcoming from the Huygen's
| data?
|
| Richard
|

| This site has some great mosaics made from the images:
|
| http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Main/Huygens
|
| This one is particularly nice:
| http://anthony.liekens.net/titan/bigmosaic.jpg

Thanks for the links.
Shows how lucky/careful they were to land on a solid something.
Can't wait for the professional versions to be published.

--
Dave Fawthrop
Subscribe to uk.net.news.announce. A low volume *civilised* newsgroup

Old January 16th 05, 07:55 PM
Karatepe

Marcus O'Neill wrote:

Around 350 images were received, so we should see plenty more over the
next days and weeks. Huygens' cameras actually took some 700 photos, but
half were lost due to a programming error that prevented one of the
probe's two radio channels from activating.

Marcus

It's not as bad as that might sound, as there is a considerable overlap
between images according to the scientists working with the camera, so
they still have a lot of the surface covered.
Old January 16th 05, 09:22 PM
Jacob Nevins

Marcus O'Neill writes:
Richard Darn wrote:
Anyone know how many more images might be forthcoming from the Huygen's
data?

Around 350 images were received, so we should see plenty more over the
next days and weeks.

367 raw image triplets have recently been posted to the DISR website
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~kholso/ (although they'd been floating
about the net for some time before that), so that is probably the
complete set.
Old January 16th 05, 09:26 PM
Seb

Marcus O'Neill wrote:

Richard Darn wrote:

Anyone know how many more images might be forthcoming from the Huygen's
data?

Around 350 images were received, so we should see plenty more over the
next days and weeks. Huygens' cameras actually took some 700 photos, but
half were lost due to a programming error that prevented one of the
probe's two radio channels from activating.

Marcus

Programming error? I'd have thought physical damage/traumas were more
likely travelling millions of km across a hostile environment. Well at
least Huygens was designed with two antennas, which averted a disaster.
I'm more interested in when we get the first (detailed) interpretation
of the pictures. As a non-scientist I can't make much of the
pictures--my only reaction is that they look remarkably Earth-like,
although I am well aware than in fuzzy b&w pics even chocolate syrup can
look like blood...

Seb
Old January 16th 05, 10:39 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Jacob Nevins
writes
Marcus O'Neill writes:
Richard Darn wrote:
Anyone know how many more images might be forthcoming from the Huygen's
data?

Around 350 images were received, so we should see plenty more over the
next days and weeks.

367 raw image triplets have recently been posted to the DISR website
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~kholso/ (although they'd been floating
about the net for some time before that), so that is probably the
complete set.

37 pages worth! Thanks for the link.
At first glance a disappointingly high proportion seem to be the
post-landing images and all alike, or with a _lot_ of missing data, but
I suspect we'll see a lot of processing of the descent images in the
next few weeks and months.
Old January 16th 05, 11:14 PM
Marcus O'Neill

Seb wrote:

Programming error? I'd have thought physical damage/traumas were more
likely travelling millions of km across a hostile environment. Well at
least Huygens was designed with two antennas, which averted a disaster.

ESA's position is reportedly that a receiver on Cassini was not turned
on to pick up the appropriate channel from Huygens; the agency is to
conduct an inquiry into the error. Although the two channels were fully
redundant, it was decided to split the images 50/50 in order to double
the output. As has already been pointed out on this thread, there is a
sufficient degree of overlap between the images to still enable some
fine panoramic mosaics. Moreover, the wind sensor data that was meant to
be relayed via the non-functioning Channel A should be largely
reconstructed from the monitoring of Huygens' carrier signal by radio
telescopes.

Huygens makes successful landing on Saturn moon (Report) muldar Amateur Astronomy 0 January 15th 05 08:07 AM
Huygens landed! Victor SETI 1 January 14th 05 11:17 PM
Huygens Sets Off With Correct Spin and Speed [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 January 11th 05 06:59 PM
Huygens Probe Successfully Detaches From Cassini [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 December 25th 04 04:34 AM
ESA's Huygens Probe Set to Detach From Cassini Orbiter [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 December 22nd 04 12:41 AM