DGM and Orion OA newts.

Old October 8th 04, 03:55 PM
Dan McShane

Default DGM and Orion OA newts.

Greetings SAA,

With the introduction of Orion`s new OA-Newt and the interest and questions
put worth on this and several other news groups, I felt compelled to post a
brief formal response.

1. Shortly after the Oct 03 Astronomy Magazine review of the DGM Optics
OA-3.6ATS by Phil Harrington, Orion ordered an OA-4 late last year. Orion`s
stated intention for evaluating it was in the interest of some sort of
potentional partnership with DGM Optics and Dodgen Optical.

2. After several months of silence from Orion regarding the OA-4 and it`s
performance, Orion approached Dodgen Optical independantly with the
intention of Dodgen doing the optics. Because of a long standing agreement
between myself and Rod Dodgen, Orions offer was refused. In part, the
refusal as such was due to Orion being unwilling to include DGM Optics in
the production, and to some small extent, financial gain of the Orion
version of the OA-newt.

3. DGM Optics and Dodgen Optical are in no way involved with the production
of Orions new OA-Newt and will continue to produce the DGM Optics OA-Series
telescopes as small volume, high quality, hand made telescopes.

Dan McShane
DGM Optics

---

Old October 8th 04, 04:30 PM
Brian Tung

Dan McShane wrote:
With the introduction of Orion`s new OA-Newt and the interest and questions
put worth on this and several other news groups, I felt compelled to post a
brief formal response.

[snip: Orion buys an OA from Dan, thinking about potential partnership,
then approaches Dodgen on their own, is rebuffed; Dan and Dodgen go on
making their scopes entirely separately from Orion and *their* OA.]

Thanks very much, Dan, for clearing the air. But, you know, I still
wonder: Why do you use an open-single-quote for an apostrophe? You
write "Orion`s," instead of "Orion's." Just curious.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old October 8th 04, 04:36 PM
Dan McShane

Brian Tung wrote in message ...
Dan McShane wrote:
With the introduction of Orion`s new OA-Newt and the interest and

questions
put worth on this and several other news groups, I felt compelled to

post a
brief formal response.

[snip: Orion buys an OA from Dan, thinking about potential partnership,
then approaches Dodgen on their own, is rebuffed; Dan and Dodgen go on
making their scopes entirely separately from Orion and *their* OA.]

Yes, that`s it in a nutshell.

Thanks very much, Dan, for clearing the air. But, you know, I still
wonder: Why do you use an open-single-quote for an apostrophe? You
write "Orion`s," instead of "Orion's." Just curious.

Sorry Brian, I know you asked about that before and I didn`t respond. Just
bad punctuation on my part.
:-)

Dan

Old October 8th 04, 06:11 PM
Jon Isaacs

With the introduction of Orion`s new OA-Newt and the interest and questions
put worth on this and several other news groups, I felt compelled to post a
brief formal response.

Dan:

Thanks for clarifying this. While personally I think that overall Orion is a
good thing for the community, I am also uncomfortable with some of their
business practices. I was quite disappointed in their cloning of the
Starbound chair, essentially taking a design from one of their vendors and
copying it. It is disappointing to hear that they apparently were not straight
forward and honest with you or with Dodgen Optical.

I hope that the increased visability of the OA design by Orion's marketing
department will lead to increased interest in and sales of your scopes.
Certainly Orion's corner is a small one and you have all the bases covered and
the pricing seems competitive when I consider that you are selling a premium
scope.

Orion catalogs are nicely written but an experienced reader knows that when
Orion says the mirror is made in the US it means the rest of the scope is not.

Best wishes

jon

Old October 8th 04, 09:07 PM
Leonard

"Dan McShane" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hello Dan ,

Good show , glad to hear yourself and Mr Dodgen are tight.
Makes for good business . Best of luck in the coming years .
Leonard
Old October 8th 04, 10:37 PM
matt

Jon Isaacs wrote in message

With the introduction of Orion`s new OA-Newt and the interest and

questions
put worth on this and several other news groups, I felt compelled to post

brief formal response.

Dan:

Thanks for clarifying this. While personally I think that overall Orion is

good thing for the community, I am also uncomfortable with some of their
business practices. I was quite disappointed in their cloning of the
Starbound chair, essentially taking a design from one of their vendors and
copying it. It is disappointing to hear that they apparently were not

straight
forward and honest with you or with Dodgen Optical.

they copied several other product designs from their (at the time) vendors ,
not just the starbound chair. It appears that if you don't at least
copyright a design if not patent it, you're in trouble due to such
unscrupulous practices. It's true that it would be a narrow patent but it
still offers better protection than not doing anything at all. Obtaining a
patent seems to be increasingly trivial with the attitute USPTO showed in
the past few years.

best regards,
matt tudor

Old October 9th 04, 03:41 AM
Dan McShane

Leonard wrote in message
om...
[...]

Len,

Right back at ya!
Hope you are well, happy, and still enjoying the 7".

Dan

---

Old October 9th 04, 06:00 AM
Mith rah

I hope Orion falls on their ass, to be blunt about it.
And reap all the rewards. Frankly, I think it will work out that way,
for a change! Good luck Dan.

Old October 9th 04, 07:01 AM
Ratboy99

I hope Orion falls on their ass, to be blunt about it.
And reap all the rewards. Frankly, I think it will work out that way,
for a change!

Oh yeah, the ultimate pitfall of being intensely competitve, I can hear the
giant falling now...
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address
Old October 9th 04, 11:38 AM
Jon Isaacs

they copied several other product designs from their (at the time) vendors ,
not just the starbound chair.

It seems that Orion did not clone the Starbound chair. This was brought to my
attention after my post yesterday. I looked back via google and found that
this claim was made during a thread about Virgo Astronomics but apparently
Orion did not clone the Starbound Chair.

jon isaacs