Cooling

Old December 22nd 09, 01:55 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.shuttle
David E. Powell

Default Cooling

On Dec 21, 4:21*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
Even NASA sees cooling now:http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...atmosphere-coo...
Although it is currently only the "upper Atmosphere". *This what you
would expect in a period of the sun being very quiet. *It will take
considerably longer to see it in the low atmosphere which are in
contact with those huge heat sinks/sources called "oceans". *This is
exactly what we saw in the late 1900s when the lower atmosphere temps
lagged the increasing solar output by a decade or two because it
simply took awhile for the oceans to heat up.
Of course, there is now the question of whether we can believe
anything NASA says on climate.

NASA has to be worried about being connected on the AGW thing. What is
going to be interesting is if they can investigate how the air
circulates, much like the cold and warm currents of the ocean, how the
upper layer and lower layers interact has got to be some fascinating
stuff.

However, sitting here on the U.S. East Coast right now, the report is
interesting. I wonder if they have upper atmosphere temperature
measurements for other years with rough winters or big snow storms?

Old December 22nd 09, 07:08 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.shuttle
snidely

On Dec 21, 5:55*pm, "David E. Powell"
wrote:

However, sitting here on the U.S. East Coast right now, the report is
interesting. I wonder if they have upper atmosphere temperature
measurements for other years with rough winters or big snow storms?

Check out when spring begins.

/dps
Old December 22nd 09, 07:24 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

All very interesting as its the time scales that really matter, but of
course different parts of the system work at different lag times and thus
figuring out what is going to happen seems to me to be so complex, most
models tend to be little more than educated guesswork.

Meanwhile should someone not be spending money to get a new Soho or more
capable craft up to do some serious sun watching? The sun is surely the most
important part of the solar system as it is what gives us the power for
everything and as has been noted affects climate.

Also of course now we can see that Mars has a bit of chaotic spin and
orbit, just how stable is this planet in that regard?

Brian

Email: