FWD: Edward Teller, 'father of the H-bomb,' dies at age 95

Old September 10th 03, 11:26 AM
OM

Default FWD: Edward Teller, 'father of the H-bomb,' dies at age 95

....From CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science....ap/index.html

....Guess John Pike'll have a field day with this one, kids :-P

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old September 10th 03, 02:27 PM
Gene DiGennaro

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote in message . ..
...From CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science....ap/index.html

...Guess John Pike'll have a field day with this one, kids :-P

OM

Whether you liked Teller or not, he was the last of the great
physicists that shaped our world.

Gene
Old September 10th 03, 02:49 PM
Herb Schaltegger

In article ,
(Gene DiGennaro) wrote:

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote in
message . ..
...From CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science....ap/index.html

...Guess John Pike'll have a field day with this one, kids :-P

OM

Whether you liked Teller or not, he was the last of the great
physicists that shaped our world.

Gene

In "Dark Sun", Richard Rhodes paints him as a vain, ambitious, jealous
and brilliant man. He was certainly a complicated person, driven by
many things.

As an aside, one must wonder what the world would be like today if all
the European physicists (including Fermi and especially Hungarians like
Wigner, Szilard, and Teller) hadn't been driven from Europe before the
war by Hitler's fascism and anti-Semitism.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old September 10th 03, 04:07 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Herb Schaltegger wrote:
As an aside, one must wonder what the world would be like today if all
the European physicists (including Fermi and especially Hungarians like
Wigner, Szilard, and Teller) hadn't been driven from Europe before the
war by Hitler's fascism and anti-Semitism.

Not just physicists, either -- there was a mass exodus of intellectual
talent that was Jewish or had Jewish connections (e.g., Fermi's wife was
Jewish), in addition to those who just plain didn't like the way things
were going. The stress that Jewish tradition puts on education and
learning meant that Jews were disproportionately represented in many
intellectual fields in Europe then.

(As a minor example, my father did his PhD in a biochem/bacteriology lab
at Tufts University that was originally set up to take advantage of the
availability of refugee medical-research talent.)
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |
Old September 10th 03, 04:31 PM
Scott Hedrick

Default Edward Teller, 'father of the H-bomb,' dies at age 95

And the carnage continues!

Every single person in the last two years that I have attempted to find an
address to write to has died within a month of my making the decision to
write to them. I just found an address for Teller last week and had started
a letter.

We're talking 8 for 8 now.

Maybe I should try writing "scott" or Maxson.
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old September 10th 03, 04:34 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Gene DiGennaro" wrote in message
om...

Whether you liked Teller or not, he was the last of the great
physicists that shaped our world.

He was also steadfast in his beliefs and had little compromise. Reminds me
of Paul Tibbetts- "hell yes we made the right decision and I'd drop it again
tomorrow if necessary".

Old September 10th 03, 07:02 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message ,
Herb Schaltegger writes

As an aside, one must wonder what the world would be like today if all
the European physicists (including Fermi and especially Hungarians like
Wigner, Szilard, and Teller) hadn't been driven from Europe before the
war by Hitler's fascism and anti-Semitism.

A Russian would have been the first person on the Moon, if the conflict
between the USA and USSR hadn't been resolved by a bloody conventional
war (no nuclear weapons to deter both side from going to war).
Everything else is a bit off topic for s.s.h.
Most of the second half of the twentieth century would be the same -
ideological conflict in the Middle East and elsewhere, wars to secure
oil supplies. Africa in a bigger mess than it is now, Islamism. (That's
interesting. My spell checker didn't object and I went off to check a
proper dictionary. "Islamist" is there and doesn't have the negative
connotations it's acquired recently. Sorry for the digression.)
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 10th 03, 07:26 PM
OM

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:26:16 GMT, "James Oberg"
wrote:

I do notice that NO news coverage has mentioned that
the Soviets were hell-bent on building an H-bomb too --
as if the choice for Teller (and the US) was a world WITHOUT H-bombs,
or just a world in which Stalin's heirs had one (actually, dozens), and the
US didn't.

....Typical of the peacenik-influenced media, never stopping to
consider the consequences of what would have happened if we *didn't*
have the bomb in any one of its flavors.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old September 10th 03, 07:36 PM
Rick DeNatale

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:49:27 -0500, Herb Schaltegger wrote:

As an aside, one must wonder what the world would be like today if all
the European physicists (including Fermi and especially Hungarians like
Wigner, Szilard, and Teller) hadn't been driven from Europe before the
war by Hitler's fascism and anti-Semitism.

Well, for one thing, if Niels Bohr hadn't survived, we wouldn't have
Olivia Newton-John!
Old September 10th 03, 08:49 PM
Darren J Longhorn

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:02:29 +0100, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message ,
Herb Schaltegger writes

As an aside, one must wonder what the world would be like today if all
the European physicists (including Fermi and especially Hungarians like
Wigner, Szilard, and Teller) hadn't been driven from Europe before the
war by Hitler's fascism and anti-Semitism.

A Russian would have been the first person on the Moon, if the conflict
between the USA and USSR hadn't been resolved by a bloody conventional
war (no nuclear weapons to deter both side from going to war).

Why do you think a Russian would have been first on the moon?