What does mercury taste like?

Old October 23rd 06, 05:47 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Default What does mercury taste like?

HJ To give reality to what you say The white house had the first indoor
plumbing.and you guessed it all the pipes were made of lead.
It is an old building,and has great amounts of lead soldiering. Not a
safe place for decision making Bert

Old October 23rd 06, 05:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
honestjohn[_1_]

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
HJ To give reality to what you say The white house had the first indoor
plumbing.and you guessed it all the pipes were made of lead.
It is an old building,and has great amounts of lead soldiering. Not a
safe place for decision making Bert

Jet "contrails" are keeping us "dumb" from spewing poison all over us.

Old October 23rd 06, 09:20 PM posted to sci.physics,alt.astronomy
bz

"greysky" wrote in
om:

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Warning Warning Warning Once mercury gets into your blood its very
bad news. It ends up in your brain and nerve system. You will die a
death very close to Parkinsen disease. If even you swallow just a
little Bert

I heard that swallowing mercury was somewhat of a fad back in the
renaissance days. Mercury was used in a lot of traditional medicines
too. My dentist put lots of it in my teeth in all those amalgam
filings. That metallic taste couldn't have been from the silver! He
even gave me some mercury to take home and play with (shutter!). In
school they put Mercurichrome on my cuts and scrapes, loaded with
mercury. In college chemistry class we did the notorious classic
experiment of heating cinnabar and condensing mercury, presumably
inhaling lots of mercury vapor during the experiment. Then we washed
the mercury down the drain, leaving a deposit in the trap to provide
the lab air with a continuous supply of mercury vapor! I found that I
liked swordfish. Then I found out that it is very high in mercury! I
was told to use a salve for a rash I had. Yep! Loaded with mercury!

So if I seem a little edgy, I guess its because all that accumulated
nerve damage from all that mercury over the years!

Double-A

Actually, Mercury has gotten a bad rap these past years. Mercury in
metal form, such as in thermometers, represents very little danger. If a
kid eats it, it passes through the gut and out the other end with little
interaction with the body. Mercury in other forms, such as cinnabar, is
very bad however. Boiling mercury over a open flame is even worse. Old
time prospectors used to collect the gold flakes out of their pan by
adding mercury to the mix. The gold dissolves in the mercury, and
eventually a putty like substance called hardcake is formed. The miners
used to cook their hardcake in a hollowed out potato, and boil off the
mercury leaving only gold behind. Of course, they also exposed
themselves (and the environment ) to a whopping amount of mercury vapors
and sometimes went mad. Old time photographers also used mercury in
their flash powder and photo developing chemicals - over time the
mercury they contacted and absorbed destroyed their brains. The disease
was called The Mad Hatters sickness, and sufferers would rip their own
eyes out of their heads and cut their own throats amongst other gruesome
things. But, a small kid playing with liquid mercury is pretty safe even
if they eat it. "course, I wouldn't make a habit of it...

What you say is ONLY true if none of the mercury gets spilled.

Drops of mercury sitting in the corner will, over time, evaporate.

The vapor pressure of mercury, at room temperature is significant.

If you are in the same room, over time, you can accumulate a significant
dose of mercury in your body.

That is why mercury spills are now treated as a significant hazard.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/eoh/survweb/mercury.htm

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Old October 23rd 06, 10:48 PM posted to sci.physics,alt.astronomy
hanson

"bz" wrote in message
8.139...
"greysky" wrote in
om:
"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Warning Warning Warning Once mercury gets into your blood its very
bad news. It ends up in your brain and nerve system. You will die a
death very close to Parkinsen disease. If even you swallow just a
little Bert

"Double-A"
[...]

[Greyski]
[...]
things. **** But it took 40 years at 10 hrs/day and 6 days a week of

:h: soaking your hands in Hg-Calomel solution to get to the condition...
:h: and if you exposed yourself for the same time span with Iron- , Nickel-
:h: Silver- or Gold- solution you will have croaked long before that ***
But, a small kid playing with liquid mercury is pretty safe even
if they eat it. "course, I wouldn't make a habit of it...

["bz"]
What you say is ONLY true if none of the mercury gets spilled.
Drops of mercury sitting in the corner will, over time, evaporate.
The vapor pressure of mercury, at room temperature is significant.
If you are in the same room, over time, you can accumulate a significant
dose of mercury in your body.
That is why mercury spills are now treated as a significant hazard.
http://www.state.nj.us/health/eoh/survweb/mercury.htm
bz
please pardon my infinite ignorance, the set-of-things-I-do-not-know
is an infinite set.

[hanson]
Bert must have swallowed a cupful of Hg and was nursed on it since
he was born 80 years ago, every day. But then Bert's birdbrain
has been paranoid from the get-go.. and now he vegetates in the
same league of doom like the last poster who is reduced to the
level of spreading fear with his whisper campaign: "bz... bz...bz"

"Double-A" and "Greyski" are the rational ones, essentially saying
"Don't eat poison by the handful over long time -- but don't become
paranoid over it neither, avoiding it to the point of spreading doom
and losing your own joy-de-vivre over it in all this green **** scams"
Sanitation driven to pathological extremes is called environmentalism!
Thanks for the laughs, dude!
ahahaha.... ahahanson

Old October 23rd 06, 11:16 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

bz What you posted is reality. Mercury like lead is bad stuff Bert

Old October 24th 06, 10:59 AM posted to alt.astronomy
nightbat[_1_]

nightbat wrote

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
nightbat Thank you for the compliment. Good you brought out how lead
poising can be far reaching. It can show bad decisions made by
humankind over the past 100 years. As kids in school our pencils when
made were dipped in yellow lead paint. Being small we were close to the
ground and leaded gas fumes stayed close to the ground. City kids were
hit the hardest. I was a city kid,and that has to tell me something
Bert

nightbat

Save that for the Nobel Prize Committee when your mercury/lead
poisoning connection theory is affirmed the causation for sexual and
mental aberration. Yes the use of leaded canals and water pipes in Rome
may have been the very cause of the homo bath houses fall of the Roman
Empire. Lead poisoning may over time slowly cause such mental
deterioration that it is not easily exposed as the true cause of
dementia and sexual disorientation, very profound Officer Bert. All
those used old lead water pipes, school pencils and paint, leaded
crystal glass, toxic leaded auto spewed fumes, aviation fumes, canned
goods, military ordinance, recreational hunters random shooting, oil
refineries, and immense use of past leaded products could very likely be
the cause of long term slow poisoning of humankind on this planet. So
the gays and auk coffee boys aren't to be blamed for their poor
distorted situation, for it was past down through the ages of the use of
lead and it's toxic effects, oh the mercury/lead mercy!.

No wonder Darla told us to go easy on them for she must have known it
was really due to lead poisoning not biologically genetic induced or
naturally past recessive evolved originating mental defect.

So while the gays are happy proclaiming their freedom and right to
respect of sexual orientation little do they know they are in reality
toxic lead victims of industrial progress, how sad. Thank goodness the
profound Earth Science Team Officers mostly reside in clean rural
environments far from polluted areas noted for their big city smog and
poisoned buildings toxicity syndrome. That explains the clear levelness
of Commander Double-A up in the North West Washington State, and you
Officer Bert down there always by clean air Florida beaches like
previous California Huntington, or Officer Bohne reporting from the
Swiss Alps, and the Captain at very rural Indy Base One. Officer Greysky
rural FTL comm rural Tower building, and Officer Bee's fresh air
Australian connection, it all fits as you report. Oh the humanity!, sure
sure the Seans living in clean rejuvenating space and Officer Warhol's
warning dooms day comet voice from Gibraltar and/or desert Valley Of the
Kings. Of course Officers oc and Painius all reporting from clean
environments for it is reflected in their great posts, including Officer
Luigi's slight distorted thinking it's all perhaps just a Sim, wow! And
our poor Officer Ray did the London smog overcome him? Ok, wait wait the
only one that doesn't apparently fit the applied lead poisoned model
correlation's is our Saul for he reports he too lives out in the clean
desert, oh wait, that's right, the sun must have gotten and overbaked him.

Continue your excellent research and theoretical explanations and for
your high PeeAir reported woody longevity. Who knows it might just wind
up preserved in the Smithsonian along with a copy of your Nobel Prize
award lead poisoning causes gayness acceptance speech.

very profound,
the nightbat

Old October 24th 06, 12:51 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

nightbat The rich Romans eat off lead plates The poor off of wood
plates. The rich and powerful had lead poisoned brains and the poor
population were under the control of loony birds. Looks like history is
repeating itself Bert

Old October 24th 06, 01:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy
nightbat[_1_]

nightbat wrote

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

nightbat The rich Romans eat off lead plates The poor off of wood
plates. The rich and powerful had lead poisoned brains and the poor
population were under the control of loony birds. Looks like history is
repeating itself Bert

nightbat

Oh the humanity of it all! Yes Officer Bert your correlation's
are very profound and imaginatively correct, the rise and fall of
Empires when they accept the gays is well documented. But who knew that
it was because of subtle lead poisoning effecting the most astute of
minds? A mind is a beautiful thing to waste and lead poisoning is the
quickest sure way of losing it.

carry on,
the nightbat
Old October 24th 06, 06:27 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_1_]

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
nightbat The rich Romans eat off lead plates The poor off of wood
plates. The rich and powerful had lead poisoned brains and the poor
population were under the control of loony birds. Looks like history is
repeating itself Bert

Rich Romans could also afford to buy wine that had been aged in lead
casks. It was said that such wine was sweeter than regular wine. The
lead probably took some of the acid out of the wine as lead salts were
formed.

They body stores lead in the bones, and it will show up on X-rays.

Double-A

Old October 26th 06, 01:44 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Double-A I wonder at what temperature mercury becomes a solid? I
wonder if you had solid mercury sheets with liquid mercury between them
(like a sandwich) how slippery they would be? Water ice with liquid
water on its surface is the most slippery(little friction)
Mercury has a lot of surface tension,and that is the reason I have this
thinking. Bert