Return of Apollo

Old December 6th 03, 03:23 AM
Jon Berndt

Default Return of Apollo

"Joseph S. Powell, III" wrote in message

God, I hope not - I'd rather we develop a robust, reliable OSP - we don't
want to go back to spashdowns.

Is there any reasoning behind this hope?

Jon

Old December 6th 03, 05:10 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Jon Berndt wrote:
God, I hope not - I'd rather we develop a robust, reliable OSP - we don't
want to go back to spashdowns.

Is there any reasoning behind this hope?

Spacecraft don't make good boats. Getting *all* the seawater out of a
used Apollo CM was actually quite difficult. And you don't really want
seawater anywhere in a spacecraft you plan to re-use.

Routine operations just get a whole bunch easier if a normal return ends
in a land touchdown, with a splashdown strictly an emergency procedure.
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |

Old December 6th 03, 01:50 PM
Jon Berndt

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message

Jon Berndt wrote:

Is there any reasoning behind this hope?

Spacecraft don't make good boats. Getting *all* the seawater out of a
used Apollo CM was actually quite difficult. And you don't really want
seawater anywhere in a spacecraft you plan to re-use.

Routine operations just get a whole bunch easier if a normal return ends
in a land touchdown, with a splashdown strictly an emergency procedure.

A valid concern. My question referred also to the subtle suggestion by the
poster that a *capsule* was undesirable - but maybe I read too much into the
statement. I agree that a land touchdown is probably preferable.

Jon

Old December 11th 03, 03:23 AM
Keith F. Lynch

Henry Spencer wrote:
Spacecraft don't make good boats. Getting *all* the seawater out of
a used Apollo CM was actually quite difficult. And you don't really
want seawater anywhere in a spacecraft you plan to re-use.

Routine operations just get a whole bunch easier if a normal return
ends in a land touchdown, with a splashdown strictly an emergency
procedure.

How about getting all the *fresh* water out? Why not spash down in
one of the Great Lakes?
--
Keith F. Lynch - - http://keithlynch.net/
I always welcome replies to my e-mail, postings, and web pages, but

Old December 12th 03, 01:05 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Keith F. Lynch wrote:
Spacecraft don't make good boats. Getting *all* the seawater out of
a used Apollo CM was actually quite difficult. And you don't really
want seawater anywhere in a spacecraft you plan to re-use...

How about getting all the *fresh* water out? Why not spash down in
one of the Great Lakes?

It's been suggested. It's not as good as not having to get *any* water
out, of course, but it's a lot better than seawater...

It's unfortunate that the Great Lakes are so far north, which would hamper
winter operations. Maybe you could use Lake Okeechobee, although that'll
require greater accuracy.