It seems that as Dark Energy increases, Dark Matter decreases astime goes on

Old November 14th 12, 08:15 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default It seems that as Dark Energy increases, Dark Matter decreases astime goes on

After calculating the amount of Dark Energy there was in the past vs.
Dark Matter, that galaxies in the early universe had not only had less
Dark Energy (as expected), but they also had more Dark Matter (not
expected). Scientists thought that Dark Matter should remain more or
less the same in magnitude, since it's supposedly a type of matter,
while the Dark Energy component grows. But they're finding that the Dark
Matter component might have been higher in the past than it is now.

If that is the case, then Dark Matter cannot be a type of stable
particle, it is just another form of fleeting energy like Dark Energy
is. In fact, it would mean that theories such as Dark Fluid would be
right, i.e. Dark Energy and Dark Matter are just two sides of the same
coin, and when one goes down, the other goes up, and vice-versa.

It also puts a kibosh on particle physics theories like Supersymmetry,
as we'll never see superpartner particles like neutralinos or photinos,
as the Standard Model is all that is necessary to explain the universe
as it is now. With the Standard Model, the vacuum energy is all that is
necessary to create the pushing effect of Dark Energy, and similarly the
same vacuum energy would be all that's necessary to create the pulling
together effect of Dark Energy.

Yousuf Khan

Dark energy map puts the squeeze on dark matter | Stuart Clark | Science
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/ac...ap-dark-matter
Old November 14th 12, 03:21 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:14:44 AM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
After calculating the amount of Dark Energy there
was in the past vs. Dark Matter, that galaxies in
the early universe had not only had less Dark
Energy (as expected), but they also had more Dark
Matter (not expected).

I don't see how they can conclude that. If they expect to see Dark-Matter-as-WIMPs, then interactions will reduce the number of WIMPs in forward time, and they'd see exactly this. If Dark Matter is really just heavily ionized normal matter, as the Universe heats (in reverse time), less ground state matter should be visible, so it would look like an increase in Dark Matter.
Old November 15th 12, 03:21 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

wrote: ...
After calculating the amount of Dark Energy there was in the past
vs. Dark Matter, that galaxies in the early universe had not only
had less Dark Energy (as expected), but they also had more Dark
Matter (not expected).

I don't see how they can conclude that. If they expect to see
Dark-Matter-as-WIMPs, then interactions will reduce the number of
WIMPs in forward time, and they'd see exactly this. If Dark Matter
is really just heavily ionized normal matter, as the Universe heats
(in reverse time), less ground state matter should be visible, so it
would look like an increase in Dark Matter.

We have no idea whether Dark Matter is WIMPs, and since we've never seen
WIMPs, then chances are likely that they aren't. Not having seen WIMPs,
we have no idea if they interact and annihilate each other.

I can't see highly ionized normal matter being enough to explain Dark
Matter either. There simply can't be enough to make up the shortfall,
although it might be able to make up some small percentage of it.

So if DM is not either of these things, then it's got to be an effect of
vacuum energy, just like DE is supposed to be.

Scientists thought that Dark Matter should remain more or less the
same in magnitude, since it's supposedly a type of matter, while
the Dark Energy component grows. But they're finding that the Dark
Matter component might have been higher in the past than it is
now.

If that is the case, then Dark Matter cannot be a type of stable
particle, it is just another form of fleeting energy like Dark
Energy is.

Doesn't follow.

Dark Matter shouldn't go up and down in magnitude, only forms of energy
can do that by transforming between one type and another. Matter is
mostly stuck in its own form most of the time.

In fact, it would mean that theories such as Dark Fluid would be
right, i.e. Dark Energy and Dark Matter are just two sides of the
same coin,

Additionally, Dark Energy is uniformly distributed in any epoch (so
far), so it is no sort of "stuff".

Yup.

and when one goes down, the other goes up, and vice-versa.

It also puts a kibosh on particle physics theories like
Supersymmetry, as we'll never see superpartner particles like
neutralinos or photinos, as the Standard Model is all that is
necessary to explain the universe as it is now.

Was flavor oscillation predicted for neutrinos, or was the
observation that they change mass as they change "state" observed and
then described later?

Neutrino mass is still not firmly established except indirectly.
Basically they believe that neutrinos must have mass because they change
flavour. But they still don't have any specific idea what the actual
mass of any neutrino would be.

With the Standard Model, the vacuum energy is all that is necessary
to create the pushing effect of Dark Energy,

Dark Energy is not energy, in the Standard Model. And somehow *less*
Dark Energy, produced the initial inflation?

Well, we're not talking about Big Bang conditions, at that time, it's
likely the energy at that time was all converted to a push-type energy
before settling down to become pull-type again.

and similarly the same vacuum energy would be all that's necessary
to create the pulling together effect of Dark Energy.

Dark Energy repulses. Dark Energy drives inflation, expansion,
acceleration of expansion.

Yes, that was a typo, I meant Dark Matter in that case.

Yousuf Khan
Old November 15th 12, 04:50 AM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Yousuf Kahn:

wrote: ...

After calculating the amount of Dark Energy there was in the past
vs. Dark Matter, that galaxies in the early universe had not only
had less Dark Energy (as expected), but they also had more Dark
Matter (not expected).

I don't see how they can conclude that. If they expect to see
Dark-Matter-as-WIMPs, then interactions will reduce the number of
WIMPs in forward time, and they'd see exactly this. If Dark Matter
is really just heavily ionized normal matter, as the Universe heats
(in reverse time), less ground state matter should be visible, so it
would look like an increase in Dark Matter.

We have no idea whether Dark Matter is WIMPs, and since we've
never seen WIMPs, then chances are likely that they aren't. Not
having seen WIMPs, we have no idea if they interact and
annihilate each other.

I don't expect there are either, but they would agree with this observation..

I can't see highly ionized normal matter being enough to
explain Dark Matter either. There simply can't be enough
to make up the shortfall,

There was, even before we saw all the ionized gas between stars and between galaxies, and the fields of individual stars in intergalactic space... not allocated to galaxies. This does stagnate the mass in planet-mass-and-larger black holes, however, as they would tend to increase Dark Matter in forward time...

although it might be able to make up some small
percentage of it.

I understand you are not convinced.

So if DM is not either of these things,

Just because you are not convinced, does not mean you can throw them out.

then it's got to be an effect of vacuum energy, just
like DE is supposed to be.

That tool is blunted, as previously discussed. The "energy", and the nature of that "energy" was unchanged.

Scientists thought that Dark Matter should remain more or less the
same in magnitude, since it's supposedly a type of matter, while
the Dark Energy component grows. But they're finding that the Dark
Matter component might have been higher in the past than it is
now.

If that is the case, then Dark Matter cannot be a type of stable
particle, it is just another form of fleeting energy like Dark
Energy is.

Doesn't follow.

Dark Matter shouldn't go up and down in magnitude,

Sure can, as discussed above. WIMPs interact to become normal, and ionized (therefore dark) becomes less so.

only forms of energy can do that by transforming between
one type and another.

Doesn't matter what type, both are attractive in GR, as both must act like mass "in the large".

Matter is mostly stuck in its own form most of the time.

Nope. Interacting, forming stars and planets, reaching ground state, heck even micro black holes evaporating... plenty easy to become less Dark.

[...]

I am unconvinced. I see no mechanism. Dark Energy and Dark Matter are tied down at the time of CMBR emissions, really not much wiggle room.

and similarly the same vacuum energy would be all that's necessary
to create the pulling together effect of Dark Energy.

Dark Energy repulses. Dark Energy drives inflation, expansion,
acceleration of expansion.

Yes, that was a typo, I meant Dark Matter in that case.

Okie dokie.

David A. Smith
Old November 16th 12, 02:33 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Marvin the Martian

The fairies eat the dark matter and use the energy to push stars and
photons around.

Really, get a jar of dark matter, otherwise this whole dark matter thing
is nothing more than circular logic - there's dark matter there because
if we add it here, here and here, it makes the theory fit. We know
there's dark matter there because the theory predicts it.

Really.

And "scientist" are falling for that stupidity? What the hell are they
teaching in grad schools? VooDoo?
Old November 16th 12, 10:06 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 15/11/2012 8:33 PM, Marvin the Martian wrote:

The fairies eat the dark matter and use the energy to push stars and
photons around.

Really, get a jar of dark matter, otherwise this whole dark matter thing
is nothing more than circular logic - there's dark matter there because
if we add it here, here and here, it makes the theory fit. We know
there's dark matter there because the theory predicts it.

Really.

And "scientist" are falling for that stupidity? What the hell are they
teaching in grad schools? VooDoo?

Not voodoo, just peer pressure.

Yousuf Khan
Old November 16th 12, 10:39 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Steve Willner

In article ,
Yousuf Khan writes:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/ac...ap-dark-matter

The actual preprint is at
http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.2616

What is says is that Baryon Acoustic Oscillations at z=2.3 are
consistent with concordance cosmology. In particular, something
like a cosmological constant (now referred to as "dark energy," of
which a cosmological constant is a specific form) is required.

The effect on our understanding -- admittedly poor -- of dark matter
seems to be entirely in the imagination of the Guardian author and
the OP.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old November 16th 12, 11:29 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Steve Willner

On Friday, November 16, 2012 2:39:37 PM UTC-7, Steve Willner wrote:
The actual preprint is at
http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.2616

What is says is that Baryon Acoustic Oscillations
at z=2.3 are consistent with concordance cosmology.
In particular, something like a cosmological
constant (now referred to as "dark energy," of
which a cosmological constant is a specific form)
is required.

Having Dark Energy as "stuff" (as opposed to the cosmological constant) allows for it to be non-uniformly distributed in space and time, subject to observational support of course. Mr. (Dr.?) Willner, is there some other "benefit" to it being separated from the cosmological constant?

David A. Smith
Old November 17th 12, 12:48 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 14/11/2012 10:50 PM, dlzc wrote:
Dear Yousuf Kahn:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:21:26 PM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 14/11/2012 9:21 AM, dlzc wrote: We have no idea whether Dark
Matter is WIMPs, and since we've never seen WIMPs, then chances are
likely that they aren't. Not having seen WIMPs, we have no idea if
they interact and annihilate each other.

I don't expect there are either, but they would agree with this
observation.

Except we should be seeing a lot of gamma rays from DarkMatter
annihilation events in the distant universe. The Gamma ray events are so
far all just normal supernovas, quasars, etc.

I can't see highly ionized normal matter being enough to explain
Dark Matter either. There simply can't be enough to make up the
shortfall,

There was, even before we saw all the ionized gas between stars and
between galaxies, and the fields of individual stars in intergalactic
space... not allocated to galaxies. This does stagnate the mass in
planet-mass-and-larger black holes, however, as they would tend to
increase Dark Matter in forward time...

I don't get what you're saying here. Are you saying that there are
planet-mass blackholes in intergalactic space making up the Dark Matter?
That would mean the MACHO model of Dark Matter.

although it might be able to make up some small percentage of it.

I understand you are not convinced.

So if DM is not either of these things,

Just because you are not convinced, does not mean you can throw them
out.

I don't believe we'll find any one thing likely to be called Dark Matter
(whether it be WIMPs, MACHOs, or just missing baryonic matter), nor will
any combination of them be enough to account for all of the effect. My
feeling is that the majority of the effect is just a reshaping of the
gravitational force effects.

then it's got to be an effect of vacuum energy, just like DE is
supposed to be.

That tool is blunted, as previously discussed. The "energy", and the
nature of that "energy" was unchanged.

No, Dark Energy and Dark Matter might be just an exchange of negative
energy (gravitational pull) for positive energy (accelerated expansion),
and vice-versa. All of the matter in the universe is made of positive
energy, while all of its gravitational pull is made of negative energy.
In the Inflationary period, a large amount of positive push energy
pushed the universe out very quickly, and then that positive energy got
converted into matter which reduced the positive energy's runaway
pushing by locking it up. That then gave the negative gravitational
energy, which is normally very randomized and spread out, enough
breathing space to take hold of the universe and begin slowing it down
again. Then virtual particles (which are also matter and anti-matter,
thus made of positive energy) would start releasing positive energy into
intergalactic voids to begin another, albeit smaller, pushing effort again.

Inflation occurred before matter appeared, thus the entire positive
energy reserve was used to push the universe out. When matter appeared,
the universe's pushing era ended, because it got locked up into
matter/antimatter. Now in the present stated of the universe, some of
that matter/antimatter creates a mini-re-emergence of positive push era
again: not as large or as spectacular as the Inflationary era, but still
a sort of push era.

Scientists thought that Dark Matter should remain more or less
the same in magnitude, since it's supposedly a type of matter,
while the Dark Energy component grows. But they're finding that
the Dark Matter component might have been higher in the past
than it is now.

If that is the case, then Dark Matter cannot be a type of
stable particle, it is just another form of fleeting energy
like Dark Energy is.

Doesn't follow.

Dark Matter shouldn't go up and down in magnitude,

Sure can, as discussed above. WIMPs interact to become normal, and
ionized (therefore dark) becomes less so.

If WIMPs interact with each other and annihilate, then they won't become
normal baryonic matter, they will become gamma ray photons, thus not
stable matter.

only forms of energy can do that by transforming between one type
and another.

Doesn't matter what type, both are attractive in GR, as both must act
like mass "in the large".

Not if the types of energy are negative energy vs. positive. Negative
energy is just what we normally call gravitation, thus its opposite form
of energy is positive energy which is a push-type energy.

Matter is mostly stuck in its own form most of the time.

Nope. Interacting, forming stars and planets, reaching ground state,
heck even micro black holes evaporating... plenty easy to become less
Dark.

I meant matter is stuck being baryons most of the time. I don't mean
whether they become stars or planets or stuff like that. They stay
pretty stably in the form of baryons.

Dark Energy is not energy, in the Standard Model. And somehow
*less* Dark Energy, produced the initial inflation?

Well, we're not talking about Big Bang conditions, at that time,
it's likely the energy at that time was all converted to a
push-type energy before settling down to become pull-type again.

I am unconvinced. I see no mechanism. Dark Energy and Dark Matter
are tied down at the time of CMBR emissions, really not much wiggle
room.

As stated above, the Inflationary epoch was when Dark Energy managed to
runaway unhindered since matter hadn't formed yet to lock it down into a
self-contained crystallized form.

Yousuf Khan
Old November 19th 12, 11:32 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Jeff-Relf.Me

Default Sum up ALL the themodynamic eXergy and you get... gravity.

body style='background: black;'pre style='background: black; font-family: DejaVu Sans Mono, Lucida Console, monospace, MS Mincho; padding: 1em; color: rgb( 128, 64, 0 ); font-size: 25px;'
Dark matter is just unseen mass, dark energy is lost eXergy.
Sum up ALL the themodynamic eXergy and you get... gravity.

The start of the big bang is just the horizon, an event horizon;
time (as measured/felt) "slows" (redshifts) as it climbs out of the gravity well.