Bright flash in the sky last night?

Old September 24th 03, 06:09 PM
Rick

Are iridium flare experiments still being conducted? If so, that's
another possibility.

"jojo" wrote in message ...
those are definite possibilities!
It was way to high for fireworks, even professional ones.
I would like to hope that it was not military.
It did not seem to be flying, I would actually describe it as a star-burst.
just a brief flash.
jojo
;-)

"onegod" wrote in message
There is lightning that shoot UP. Also any meteorite coming toward you
probably look like that.
And other thing i can think of is afterburner of jet going away from you.
Or home made firework.
Or some military mid air missle test...
And... ufo

"steve s" wrote in message
I saw the white flash also, it seemed to be a bright star to the north

when
I looked up, and then slowly dissipated to nothing, a little longer than

second, but I wasn't counting.
Glad someone else saw this, I had forgotten what the phenomena was

called.

"jojo" wrote in message
y.com...
I was observing with the naked eye last night.
There were high clouds and it was early (around 8pm central time)
30n16, 97w45

I was looking in the direction of the big dipper (north)
I saw a one second flash of light in the night sky. It was not a

streak,
but
a flash,
much like a glint of reflection. (but the sky was dark)

If I drew a line left (declination) from Polaris and a line up (ra)
from the big dipper, this would be the approximate location of the
flash.

Anyone know what this was?

Thanks..
jojo

Old September 25th 03, 05:56 PM
steve s

I'm pretty sure it was the iridium flare, I saw it one other time.
I'm in the eastern time zone, the other person is in the central timezone.
Jet-Fireworks-meteorite-not- across 3 states??
It was at the height of where satellites roam, which I see all the time.
Meteorite-I wouldn't see it so far up unless it was a biggin, typical
they're seen alot closer to the ground.
The sunlight bouncing off an iridium satellite.

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...
They aren't experiments; they are the reflections off the Iridium
aerials.
And yes, Iridium is very much a going concern, under new management,
IIRC.
Heavens Above www.heavens-above.com will tell you about forthcoming
flares at your location but I don't know about old ones.

In message , Rick
writes
Are iridium flare experiments still being conducted? If so, that's
another possibility.

.. .

--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles

of
void"

Old September 25th 03, 07:01 PM
jojo

"steve s" wrote in message
[...]

"jojo" wrote in message
.. .
those are definite possibilities!
It was way to high for fireworks, even professional ones.
I would like to hope that it was not military.
It did not seem to be flying, I would actually describe it as a

star-burst.
just a brief flash.
jojo

--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of

miles
of
void"

Steve,
I logged it in my journal as my FIRST iridium flare!
jojo