New Apollo 8 documentary on PBS October 31st

Old October 14th 05, 06:04 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

and yet they'll
continue to rerun that painting show with the poof with the tan afro
who's been dead, what? 20 years now?

I think it was his predecessor that died... the first guy was a better
painter BTW.

Pat
Old October 14th 05, 07:36 PM
snidely

OM wrote:
and yet they'll
continue to rerun that painting show with the poof with the tan afro
who's been dead, what? 20 years now?

That's a syndicated program (like Oprah and TOS), the local station is
the one paying (it's cheap after 20 years) and was originally funded by
Florida's state network, IIRC.

Nothing to do with PBS at all.

/dps

Old October 14th 05, 07:59 PM
OM

On 14 Oct 2005 11:36:45 -0700, "snidely"
wrote:

That's a syndicated program (like Oprah and TOS), the local station is
the one paying (it's cheap after 20 years) and was originally funded by
Florida's state network, IIRC.

....Correct. However, Florida's public broadcasting got the funding for
this one from Pee-BS back when they still had money to burn. And,
IIRC, the "Non Bro with the Fro" was a good friend of two members of
the Pee-BS funding directors. Remember, while Pee-BS can give the
locals money, they still have to approve what's being done with it.

Nothing to do with PBS at all.

....Wrong again. Remember who worked in TV and who didn't, Dave. Nice
try, tho.

OM

--

"Try Andre Dead Duck Canadian Champagne! | http://www.io.com/~o_m
Rated the lamest of the cheapest deported | Sergeant-At-Arms
Old October 14th 05, 08:59 PM
snidely

wrote:

That's a syndicated program (like Oprah and TOS), the local station is
the one paying (it's cheap after 20 years) and was originally funded by
Florida's state network, IIRC.

...Correct. However, Florida's public broadcasting got the funding for
this one from Pee-BS back when they still had money to burn. And,
IIRC, the "Non Bro with the Fro" was a good friend of two members of
the Pee-BS funding directors. Remember, while Pee-BS can give the
locals money, they still have to approve what's being done with it.

Okay, I guess you've done some research on this....but I still say it
isn't PBS that's funding the *replays*. My guess is that the local
stations are wooing the portion of the retired population that are
awake in the daytime...and for myself, I'd rather catch the Irish guy
(Frank) than Old Bob who always used the Black Mattes with oval
openings. Makes me think of Velvet Elvis paintings.

/dps

Old October 15th 05, 12:16 AM
Brian Thorn

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 02:42:55 -0500, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

...As long-time ssher's know, I used to *work* for a See-BS affiliate.
I *know* how the Chrisnukkah season operates WRT new shows. Pee-BS
doesn't count. Never has. Never will. It's in it's own little
universe.

But they still tend to show marquee programming when the odds are good
that people will be watching. They do want those donations to keep
coming, you know. They leave the holidays for the umpteenth
rebroadcast of Ken Burns' "Jazz" or "Baseball" and old "Nova"
episodes.

Brian
Old October 15th 05, 04:09 AM
OM

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:16:10 -0500, Brian Thorn
wrote:

But they still tend to show marquee programming when the odds are good
that people will be watching. They do want those donations to keep
coming, you know.

....Which is how, during the 80's, everybody in the US got hooked on
"Dr. Who" during those marathon pledge runs, and the airing of "The
Five Doctors".

OM

Old October 15th 05, 04:33 AM
OM

On 14 Oct 2005 12:59:10 -0700, "snidely"
wrote:

Okay, I guess you've done some research on this....

....Not so much research as on-the-job experience. We were in close
contact with the local Pee-BS station because one of my fellow video
engineers was working weekends there, and I got to know the station
manager *and* the chief engineer really well. I was even trained on
their switch equipment to do fill-ins on an emergency, but never got
called up because nobody ever seemed to get sick around there. That's
how I learned all the nuances about how Pee-BS has control on the
locals, and to be honest it's actually helped keep some of the
college-located stations from turning into "This Week In **** Christ
Artistry".

but I still say it isn't PBS that's funding the *replays*.

....I'll concede part of this point: Pee-BS doesn't pay *all* of the
replay charges, but they -do- subsidise. How much depends on the
program and the station in question. I can state for a fact that WGBH
probably gets the least supportive funding for rerun programs like
that paint show, or Homer Formby's woodworking show, but they *do* get
a ****load of money for Nova and shows of that calibre. IIRC, WGBH
gets equal share in any profits for Nova's post-airing sales of DVD
and VHS.

My guess is that the local
stations are wooing the portion of the retired population that are
awake in the daytime...and for myself, I'd rather catch the Irish guy
(Frank) than Old Bob who always used the Black Mattes with oval
openings. Makes me think of Velvet Elvis paintings.

....Blah. Most of those shows never did appeal to me. I think I got
turned off on a lot of Pee-BS stuff in elementary school, when
educational programming was loosly coordinated by NET - National
Educational Television - and the standards for how educational
programming was to be produced were really haphazard. Before Pee-BS
came in and straightened the educational channels out, you got some
distributed gems like "Sing Children, Sing", with Tony Salazan, but
you had real absolute dogs like this one Texas-centric basic spanish
language instructional show hosted by "Senorita Aida Barrera"(*),
whose lecture skills made Captain Kangaroo look like Pee Wee Herman.

....One thing that most educational programs still do today that
reduces their effectiveness: they still fail to talk at the *level* of
the audience. They still talk down to the level, sometimes from a
higher vantage point, and kids turn off to that quicker than wanting
to take out the trash or clean their rooms. Which is why "Sesame
Street" and "Electric Company" worked as well as they did - they
taught by teaching as a peer, not an adult. But I suppose it could be
worse - Pat Robertson could be running Pee-BS, and then we'd *really*
have someone ****ing on Christ. In his name, even.

(*) I think I may have told this story before on here, but after
"Sesame Street" took off, Barrera decided to come up with a bilingual
Texas-centric version called "Carrascolendas". It was going to replace
her boring-as-hell show, and she had intended to be the star. However,
after finishing the pilot, she previewed it before a rather large
group of kids at a nearby elementary, and while viewing from the back
of the cafetorium, she was literally floored by the reaction of the
audience when the show started and she appears to introduce herself
and the show.

She didn't get past "Hola!" before most of the kids began groaning,
complaining, and shaking their heads in utter dismay at having to view
yet again the one reason elementary school kids hated to even *think*
about learning Spanish.

....After that wake-up, she never appeared on the show again, and
thankfully stayed in a production-only role for the rest of the
series.
OM

Old October 15th 05, 07:22 AM
snidely

wrote:

Okay, I guess you've done some research on this....

...Not so much research as on-the-job experience. We were in close
contact with the local Pee-BS station because one of my fellow video
engineers was working weekends there, and I got to know the station
manager *and* the chief engineer really well. I was even trained on
their switch equipment to do fill-ins on an emergency, but never got
called up because nobody ever seemed to get sick around there.

Like I said, research ;-)

...Blah. Most of those shows never did appeal to me. I think I got
turned off on a lot of Pee-BS stuff in elementary school,

Well, I still hold on to the hope that some of my kid's art ability can
rub off on me, but the watercolor people seem more interesting than the
oil or acrylic people. [Rereading that sentence, it looks like it was
written for rec.models.railroad =8-o ]

I don't remember anything about pre-PBS educational TV, but we had all
3 commercial networks in time for Apollo!

/dps

Old October 15th 05, 07:31 AM
OM

On 14 Oct 2005 23:22:29 -0700, "snidely"
wrote:

I don't remember anything about pre-PBS educational TV, but we had all
3 commercial networks in time for Apollo!

....That we did, and Pee-BS had its own level of coverage, albeit
rather sparse. These days we'd have had the landings on every channel
including BET. On the other hand, we probably wouldn't have had Unca
Walter doing the play-by-play, and that, kids, is what made that
landing all the more special.

Still, one of these days, I want the landing & EVA coverage from all
three networks, as well as the BBC's coverage, from the same start and
end points, just to compare once and for all. Would make one hell of a
web page...

OM

Old October 15th 05, 07:36 AM
snidely

OM wrote:
Still, one of these days, I want the landing & EVA coverage from all
three networks, as well as the BBC's coverage, from the same start and
end points, just to compare once and for all. Would make one hell of a
web page...

Definitely worthy of the terabytes...wish I could help!

/dps

NASA PDF - Apollo Experience Reports - 114 reports Rusty History 1 July 27th 05 03:52 AM
NASA PDF Mercury, Gemini, Apollo reports free online Rusty Barton History 81 October 3rd 04 05:33 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM