President's Commission on Moon, Mars and Beyond

Old March 8th 04, 12:53 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Brad Guth / GASA" wrote in message
om...
I might actually say screw the moon

Yeah, it figures you like the rear entry stuff.

Old April 7th 04, 06:11 PM
Derek Lyons

Doug... wrote:
Were you around in 1969? Granted, it was only a diversion for a couple
of months, but during that glorious summer, every American was
extraordinarily proud of the capability and determination his/her
country had demonstrated. Even those who personally opposed the use of
resources for a "pipe dream" like going to the Moon.

Every American? No. That's a fantasy spread by PR and marketing
types. Even as we were landing my aunt was bitching about what a
waste of money it was (but then she thought every Federal expenditure
was a waste of money).

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old April 7th 04, 06:41 PM
Mike Combs

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
Doug... wrote:
Were you around in 1969? Granted, it was only a diversion for a couple
of months, but during that glorious summer, every American was
extraordinarily proud of the capability and determination his/her
country had demonstrated. Even those who personally opposed the use of
resources for a "pipe dream" like going to the Moon.

Every American? No. That's a fantasy spread by PR and marketing
types. Even as we were landing my aunt was bitching about what a
waste of money it was (but then she thought every Federal expenditure
was a waste of money).

OK. Let's more cautiously say, "every sensible, well-informed American".

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Gerard O'Neill - "The High Frontier"

Old April 7th 04, 06:53 PM
LooseChanj

On or about Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:11:27 GMT, Derek Lyons
made the sensational claim that:
Doug... wrote:
Were you around in 1969? Granted, it was only a diversion for a couple
of months, but during that glorious summer, every American was
extraordinarily proud of the capability and determination his/her
country had demonstrated. Even those who personally opposed the use of
resources for a "pipe dream" like going to the Moon.

Every American? No. That's a fantasy spread by PR and marketing
types. Even as we were landing my aunt was bitching about what a
waste of money it was (but then she thought every Federal expenditure
was a waste of money).

Ok then, every American *except* your aunt. I dare you to say she's a quite
a big data point. :-P
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old April 7th 04, 10:24 PM
Derek Lyons

Doug... wrote:

Were you around in 1969? Granted, it was only a diversion for a couple
of months, but during that glorious summer, every American was
extraordinarily proud of the capability and determination his/her
country had demonstrated. Even those who personally opposed the use of
resources for a "pipe dream" like going to the Moon.

Every American? No. That's a fantasy spread by PR and marketing
types. Even as we were landing my aunt was bitching about what a
waste of money it was (but then she thought every Federal expenditure
was a waste of money).

Ok then, every American *except* your aunt. I dare you to say she's a quite
a big data point. :-P

Actually, she was quite a small woman, and aside from her propensity
to seek reasons to bitch, she was my favorite aunt.

But even so, you find in contemporary accounts many, many people that
questioned the wisdom of spending the money, and who didn't appear
particularly proud. The attempt to draw an artificial divide between
'intelligent folks who were proud' and 'them who was stupid and were
not proud' is nothing but escapist elitism.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old April 7th 04, 11:07 PM
bob haller

But even so, you find in contemporary accounts many, many people that
questioned the wisdom of spending the money, and who didn't appear
particularly proud. The attempt to draw an artificial divide between
'intelligent folks who were proud' and 'them who was stupid and were
not proud' is nothing but escapist elitism.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

YEAH THAT WAS TRUE Most relatives thought it a waste of money. I really
bothered me.....

Same trouble will come up with mars mission

Better to go for near earth asteroid first as defense against planet
destruction. Then use for mars follow up

Of course finding life on mars might generate some interest
Hey this is my opinion
Old April 13th 04, 01:46 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
Even as we were landing my aunt was bitching about what a
waste of money it was (but then she thought every Federal expenditure
was a waste of money).

Bet that didn't stop her from cashing her social security check.

Old April 13th 04, 01:48 AM
Scott Hedrick

"rk" wrote in message
Not an optimal peak since the Rangers did
what they usually do.

Crash into the ocean and/or lunar surface?

Old April 13th 04, 02:58 PM
Scott Hedrick

"rk" wrote in message
Scott Hedrick wrote:

"rk" wrote in message
Not an optimal peak since the Rangers did what they usually do.

Crash into the ocean and/or lunar surface?

Essentially correct.

It was a looooooooooooooooong wait for success.

yawn, stretch

"OK, that's been a nice snooze, time to get to work."

"Hey, that moon's lookin' pretty good! Better get the camera warmed up."

"Hmmm...seems to be getting awfully big. Better call home and see what's
going on."

ping, ping

"Hey, is this thing on?"

"Helllooooooo...ya wanna give me some directions here? The pictures are
coming out great, but it's time to maneuver here. I dunno, retrofire or
something. Yo? You there?"

"I don't wanna rain on your parade, but the moon is getting REAL BIG REAL
FAST. You wanna hurry up with those maneuvering instructions?"

"Uh...whaddya mean there're no RETROS? Didn't you people think of that
BEFORE sending me up?"

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN THE RETROS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE INSTALLED ON
TUESDAY?"

"Webb, you sorry $$&@()$@!&~#))$@!!!!!!! I swear, when I get back there I'm
gonna kick your ass up and down the Washington Monument!"

"Ah, I see...you figgered I wasn't coming back, eh? I'll show you, you
sunnuva$^#--------NO CARRIER"