Moon was produced by head-on collision?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 5th 16, 10:31 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
R Kym Horsell[_2_]

Default Moon was produced by head-on collision?

In sci.physics Steve Willner wrote:
In article ,
R Kym Horsell writes:
Comparing times of new moon
versus full moon shows a statistically relevant difference of
in preciptation of a few percent.

Can you cite a source? I confess to some skepticism, but if the
effect is real, my first thought would be biology rather than
physics.

google "moon and precipitation"
52 mn hits

Phase of the moon affects amount of rainfall - Phys.org
phys.org # Astronomy & Space # Space Exploration
7 days ago - Satellite data over the tropics, between 10 degrees S and 10 degrees N, shows a slight dip in rainfall when the moon is directly overhead or ...
Folklore Confirmed: The Moon's Phase Affects Rainfall ...
http://www.sciencemag.org/.../folklo...fects-rainfall
Oct 6, 2010 - Researchers find link between lunar cycles and precipitation.
In the news
Image for the news result
Moon can affect rainfall, scientists discover | Science | News
The Independent# - 2 days ago
The Moon can affect how heavy the rain is, according to a new study that could help improve ...
Moon Affects Rainfall, Says Study Based on NASA and Japanese Aerospace Data
Nature World News# - 2 days ago
Moon overhead makes rainfall lighter, scientists conclude
Telegraph.co.uk# - 2 days ago
More news for moon and precipitation
Moon's tidal forces affect amount of rainfall on Earth | UW ...
http://www.washington.edu/.../phases...t-of-rainfall/
Jan 29, 2016 - "As far as I know, this is the first study to convincingly connect the tidal force of the moon with rainfall," said corresponding author Tsubasa ...

--
Europe wasn't a very hospitable place fifteen millennia ago. The
westernmost landmass of the Eurasian continent had endured a long ice