Genesis: terraforming our planet for life

Old October 4th 06, 12:28 PM posted to alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,alt.talk.creationism,alt.biology,alt.atheism,alt.astronomy
Gilbertus Albans

Default Genesis: terraforming our planet for life

Uncle Vic wrote:
Once upon a time in alt.atheism, dear sweet Gilbertus Albans
) made the light shine upon us with this:

wrote:

Creationism is not discussed in this thread.
As the set topic is 'Genesis transforming the planet'
and as Genesis (Bible) gives information about Creation
I am of the opinion that it IS part of this topic.

Gladys Swager

The Bible is being used not for creationism. But to search for
historical facts about terraforming.

The Bible contains equal amounts of science, history, and pizza.

I did a search for Pizza in the Bible I did not find any reference.
please enlighten us.

As for Gen 1:2

I found this:
http://mediatheek.thinkquest.nl/~ll125/en/bigbang.htm
Formation of the Earth

The Earth was one of the planets formed from the collapse of the first
star. However, it is unique in many ways. It is the only planet with
visible surface water, which is explained by the precise temperature and
atmospheric pressure the Earth maintains. Seasons, though mild near the
equator, are caused because the Earth's axis is tilted approximately 23
degrees. Earth's atmosphere is also unique, in that it contains oxygen,
which is essential for life. At one time, a large asteroid may have
collided with the planet, breaking off a large piece of it, which would
eventually become our Moon. However, many questions still go unanswered
about the formation of the Earth and how its processes began.

Now Can you please explain to us how a bunch of Sheepherders had
knowledge of planet birth and formation?

Old October 4th 06, 12:32 PM posted to alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,alt.talk.creationism,alt.biology,alt.atheism,alt.astronomy
Martin

wrote:

[...]

bzzzzz

Where did O2 came from for the atmosphere?
Old October 4th 06, 12:41 PM posted to alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,alt.talk.creationism,alt.biology,alt.atheism,alt.astronomy
Gilbertus Albans

Martin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfjps/1400/atmos_origin.html

Addition of O2 to the Atmosphere
Today, the atmosphere is ~21% free oxygen. How did oxygen reach these
levels in the atmosphere? Revisit the oxygen cycle:
Oxygen Production

Photochemical dissociation - breakup of water molecules by ultraviolet
Produced O2 levels approx. 1-2% current levels
At these levels O3 (Ozone) can form to shield Earth surface from UV
Photosynthesis - CO2 + H2O + sunlight = organic compounds + O2 -
produced by cyanobacteria, and eventually higher plants - supplied the
rest of O2 to atmosphere. Thus plant populations
Oxygen Consumers

Chemical Weathering - through oxidation of surface materials (early
consumer)
Animal Respiration (much later)
Burning of Fossil Fuels (much, much later)
Throughout the Archean there was little to no free oxygen in the
atmosphere (1% of presence levels). What little was produced by
cyanobacteria, was probably consumed by the weathering process. Once
rocks at the surface were sufficiently oxidized, more oxygen could
remain free in the atmosphere.
During the Proterozoic the amount of free O2 in the atmosphere rose
from 1 - 10 %. Most of this was released by cyanobacteria, which
increase in abundance in the fossil record 2.3 Ga. Present levels of O2
were probably not achieved until ~400 Ma.