Cool SRB videos

Old September 14th 06, 07:16 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Craig Fink

Default Cool SRB videos

They just played 3 videos for each SRB, best I've seen yet.

Things to look for:

SRB Thrust Mismatch at SRB Separation, one of the SRB still has quite a
bit of thrust after SRB sep. You can tell this because one SRB is higher
relative to the Earth than the other SRB in the post sep video. One
appears to be above the horizon, the other below.

Elevon schedule, during first stage ascent you can see the outboard elevon
moving and going out of view, then the inboard elevon do the same thing.

Splashdown of both SRB nose caps as the descends on their chutes

Cool whale sounds from the camera that has audio.

SRB ?aft? ?skirt? jettison just prior to splash down, and splashdown of the
?aft skirt?, Exactly what is that being jettisoned?

Cool pictures of the chutes opening, with all kind of debris flying into
them when the ?aft skirt? is jettisoned.

Lots and lots of popcorn (SOFI) coming off the ET late in first stage.

Anybody have any other good observations in the videos?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old September 15th 06, 09:33 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
The Guy In Ireland

Where can I view those vids pleaase?

John John

Old September 15th 06, 11:31 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Craig Fink

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 01:33:51 -0700, The Guy In Ireland wrote:

Where can I view those vids please?

Good question, I don't know.

Harddrive space is so cheap these days, I wish NASA would take the time to
make all high resolution Launch/Landing shots available on Internet. They
really don't seem to put much out on their web site and it's somewhat
random.

Maybe I'll have to invest the time and effort to store the NASA Select
Internet feed so I can clip out the good parts. I just happened to have it
running at the time. This mission had the best tumbling SRB shots I've
seen, each stayed in view for a long time. One above earth's horizon, one
below.

The last mission had one camera that had some great underwater shots after
splashdown, which went very well with the Beatles, "Yellow Submarine"
randomly playing from my playlist.

After Launch and Landing, NASA Select will replay many of there camera
shots on NASA Select. The SRB footage are played some time after they are
recovered. This flight seemed to have four distinct points of view for
each SRB. One facing the ET near the upper attach point, one at the bottom
of the SRB facing forward, one at the top facing aft, and one at the top
facing forward for some really nice parachute deploy shots.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old September 15th 06, 09:38 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

Craig Fink wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 01:33:51 -0700, The Guy In Ireland wrote:

Where can I view those vids please?

Good question, I don't know.

Not on the STS-115 video gallery yet (ET seperation from handheld
camera is).

Look for John's postings; some of his stuff is at
http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=928
(this link is the array deployment, if I didn't fumble the copy).

/dps

Old September 15th 06, 11:19 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
l.c. smith

They showed the SRBcams again on the video file today, but except for the
first they were much edited. What stood out for me was the much better
view of penetrating the top of the atmosphere, due to the high cloud cover,
so you could see just how fast these babies are coming down. The sound
effects just add to the perception that they are 'screaming' in.