Satellite tracking software

Old December 2nd 05, 07:43 PM posted to alt.radio.satellite,alt.satellite.gps,sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,uk.sci.astronomy

Default Satellite tracking software

I currently have no plans to drive an LX200 (or any other telescope)
through SatWhere. AFAIK, the LX200 lets you track satellites out of the
box, no?

Cheers

- Balt

http://www.satwhere.com
The ultimate satellite tracking and earth viewer software. Yours for
$24.99!

Old December 3rd 05, 12:08 AM posted to alt.radio.satellite,alt.satellite.gps,sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,uk.sci.astronomy

wrote in news:1133547062.430935.227770
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

SatWhere does a number of things Orbitron, NOVA and what they're all
called don't do, what comes to mind in no particular order:

Snipola

Eyecandy? Or functionality?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Like censorship and not getting support help? Switch to Supernews!
They won't even answer questions through your ISP!
Old December 3rd 05, 03:05 AM posted to alt.radio.satellite,alt.satellite.gps,sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,uk.sci.astronomy

wrote in message
ups.com...
Orbitron doesn't do a lot of things SatWhere does, see my post below on
the specific features. I forgot one the It doesn't only
automatically download and maintain Keplers from space-track, it also
downloads the latest amateur maintained classified satellite elements.

Certainly, postcardware is cheaper than $24.99, the regular price I'm
charging. But then again, you get what you pay for. It all depends on
your expectations.

SatWhere was born out of a very particular need: The autonomous
operation of my HRPT receiver station (see http://www.ozabove.com)
which might explain why it doesn't cater to the average satellite
amateur. However, if you lend your opinion a voice rather than just a
dismissive shrug, you could help making SatWhere the best there is.
Tell me what it is you're missing!

Cheers

- Balt
http://www.satwhere.com
The ultimate satellite tracking and earthviewer software for $24.99

What about an inbuilt apt/hrpt et al decoder?That would have to be worth
$25.00 and a bit more rotator support, otherwise it's all pretty much
standard fare.

Old December 3rd 05, 05:21 AM posted to alt.radio.satellite,alt.satellite.gps,sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,uk.sci.astronomy

Brian,

If you read the list you'd you'd understand it's not eyecandy. The user
interface admittedly looks better than any other satellite software out
there, it in fact is professional from tip to toe, and it doesn't have
that cheesy, a bit sleazy and outdated, radio shack amateur soldering
tin touch to it, I guess a lot of people interested in satellites
prefer that. And no, SatWhere does not run under DOS 2.0 nor Windows
3.1. Sorry.

Old December 3rd 05, 05:25 AM posted to alt.radio.satellite,alt.satellite.gps,sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,uk.sci.astronomy

That's an idea I'll certainly look into. Thanks.

I do however not agree with your "standard fare" negativism, SatWhere
offers quite a bit of unique features in its present state.

Old December 3rd 05, 12:17 PM posted to alt.radio.satellite,alt.satellite.gps,sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,uk.sci.astronomy

wrote in message
oups.com...
That's an idea I'll certainly look into. Thanks.

I do however not agree with your "standard fare" negativism, SatWhere
offers quite a bit of unique features in its present state.

Cheers

- Balt

http://www.satwhere.com
The ultimate satellite tracking and earth viewer software. Yours for
$24.99!

Balt,
I do sympathise with your predicament, and I don't really mean to express
negativism.
I and a small team developed a radio data encryption/decryption technology
that revolutionised the way information was analysed, way back in 1998. Our
friends and allies "borrowed" it and nary a royalty was to be seen. It's a
tough world out there for developers, so I'm with you on this one. But
unless your idea departs radically from the norm, eye candy et al, it's a
tough row to hoe.
I wish you every good luck.

Old December 3rd 05, 03:12 PM posted to alt.radio.satellite,alt.satellite.gps,sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,uk.sci.astronomy

On 2 Dec 2005 10:11:02 -0800, wrote:
Hello
SatWhere does a number of things Orbitron, NOVA and what they're all
called don't do, what comes to mind in no particular order:

and last but not least, a few subjective points (after looking at the
competition)

9. None of them let you define a field of view and timespan and show
you which satellites are going to fly through. This is very useful for
astrophotographers for instance, trying to not get their images spoiled
by satellite passes (also upcoming in 1.3).

Wrong Cartes du Ciel-SkyCharts make it for a vrey long time... see v
2.71

There's 9 points none of my competitors can do, most of them don't do
iridium flares either (I think only orbitron does?), at the current
retail price of $24.99 that's not too shabby.

Wrong SkyCharts-Cartes du Ciel make it also for a very long time...
and it is a freeware...
Cheers

Phil
Best Greetings From SWITZERLAND
Philippe HAAKE
ICQ 3128404
http://astrosurf.com/skylover/
http://astrosurf.com/skylover/album/index.htm
http://astrosurf.com/skylover/meteo
http://www.astro-ge.net/

beruberu@NOSBSPAMfreesurfDOTch
!!!!!!REMOVE NOSBSPAM FROM MY E-MAIL!!!!!!

Spammers, here are some email addresses for your spambots:

$LOGIN@localhost $LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost
$USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost
admin@loopback
Old December 3rd 05, 03:21 PM posted to alt.radio.satellite,alt.satellite.gps,sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,uk.sci.astronomy

On 2 Dec 2005 10:20:40 -0800, wrote:

Salut Philippe

what do you think is missing? I'm always open for suggestions.

Cheers

- Balt

Hello,
You don't need to be pro to have a nice soft, many soft made by
amateur are better than those made by pro... Again have a look at
Cartes du Ciel-SkyCharts (freeware) made by Patrick Chevalley from
Geneva), is much better than pro. Or also his second freeware Virtual
Moon atlas...

I didn't find the way to see the sats in a starschart at a given
moment... Only see the way to display at the present time....

I used to use the very goos SatSpy (no more available) which has many
other possibilities that SatWhere doesn't seems to have....... or I
didn't find them.....

And the price 75$ was much to high, now you lower it it is
better......

Have a good week end...

Old December 4th 05, 06:41 PM posted to alt.radio.satellite,alt.satellite.gps,sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,uk.sci.astronomy

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:04:03 -0000, Skywise
wrote:

wrote in news:1133583709.104344.292330
:

Brian,

If you read the list you'd you'd understand it's not eyecandy. The user
interface admittedly looks better than any other satellite software out
there, it in fact is professional from tip to toe, and it doesn't have
that cheesy, a bit sleazy and outdated, radio shack amateur soldering
tin touch to it, I guess a lot of people interested in satellites
prefer that. And no, SatWhere does not run under DOS 2.0 nor Windows
3.1. Sorry.

My point was that you're posts seem to concentrate on selling
the eycandy portion of your software rather than focusing on its
functionality. I may be wrong, but I think among the serious
satellite watch community, functionality comes 1st and eyecandy
a distant second.

Well said......