find a coal seam on Mars amount of oil in the Mars crust math relationship of amount of oceans to amount of total oil

Old January 4th 04, 07:13 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default find a coal seam on Mars amount of oil in the Mars crust math relationship of amount of oceans to amount of total oil

Some good news tonight. More than an hour ago the USA led Mars lander
signalled back to Earth that it was safely touching Mars ground. But I
wonder if the camera aboard can survey the surrounding sites. I
suspect proof of life on Mars will not come until coal is actually
found in a coal seam on Mars and perhaps the best place to look for a
coal seam are crater walls. So can the Mars robot telescope in on the
rock outcrops.

Perhaps we need a actual human to land on Mars and spend a few days
there.

Has anyone computed as to whether cargo hauling uranium in spacecraft
is a viable industry? I suppose if Mars has a rich deposit of platinum
that it would be economically feasible to open up such an industry
straightaway.

But suppose the amount of oil and coal buried on Mars is equal to 1/2
the total reserves on planet Earth. I suspect that it would not be
viable to cargo haul it back to Earth, but I am wondering if that coal
and oil can be transformed into water and oxygen to make Mars a self
sustaining colony?

You cannot burn the coal and oil on Mars for it has no oxygen in the
air. I suppose there are organisms on Earth that live on oil. Do not
know if organisms that live on coal exist. So if we transport those
organisms to Mars, can they generate a gaseous byproduct whilst they
eat the oil and coal? I have the hunch or suspicion that given a dead
planet like Mars and supposing it has a rich deposit of coal and oil
that those deposits can be used to create a liveable environment for
humans to colonize Mars. And the resource most sought after from Mars
will be uranium and other fissile fuels.

Today our space missions are fueled primarily from fossilfuels but
sometime in the future our spacecraft will be fissile fueled and thus
a colony on Mars where fissile fuel is mined would be necessary to
make further colonies on the asteroids where alot of uranium exists.

Archimedes Plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies
Old January 4th 04, 12:57 PM
George

"Archimedes Plutonium" wrote in message
om...
Some good news tonight. More than an hour ago the USA led Mars lander
signalled back to Earth that it was safely touching Mars ground. But I
wonder if the camera aboard can survey the surrounding sites. I
suspect proof of life on Mars will not come until coal is actually
found in a coal seam on Mars and perhaps the best place to look for a
coal seam are crater walls. So can the Mars robot telescope in on the
rock outcrops.

Dude, it can shimmy right up to them and analyze samples right out of an
outcrop, and take photographs as well a lot of other capabilities like take
soil samples and probe beneath the surface. It is a moving laboratory,
possibly the most complex ever built.

Perhaps we need a actual human to land on Mars and spend a few days
there.

If we ever go, we will likely spend much longer than just a few days there.
You don't go that far just to spend a relaxing weekend.

Has anyone computed as to whether cargo hauling uranium in spacecraft
is a viable industry? I suppose if Mars has a rich deposit of platinum
that it would be economically feasible to open up such an industry
straightaway.

We do not have the technology to conduct such enterprises at present. That
is a long way off.

But suppose the amount of oil and coal buried on Mars is equal to 1/2
the total reserves on planet Earth.

?????? Surely you jest!

I suspect that it would not be
viable to cargo haul it back to Earth, but I am wondering if that coal
and oil can be transformed into water and oxygen to make Mars a self
sustaining colony?

Sure by why bother when there is likely to be water beneath the surface in
the form of permafrost or ice?

You cannot burn the coal and oil on Mars for it has no oxygen in the
air.

Oh, I get it now. You're drunk, right? What in hell makes you think there
is coal and/or oil on Mars?

snipped the rest of this silliness