Free Satellite System

Old November 27th 03, 10:24 PM
Skywise

Default Free Satellite System

"Don" wrote in
:

Snipola
Same here, and this is a really bad dialup. Can't get on at all some
days. Poor dialup and poor phone lines. Thanks Sprint.
Check out Starband if you get the chance. They are based on a technology
developed in Israel and they stay on top of it.
I can't really give a recommendation at this point as it hasn't been
installed yet, but I am optomistic.

I've been with Earthlink for a few years and when I moved
and started using a new dial-up nodes, I started having
problems staying connected. I couldn't figure out the problem
other than to suspect just a bad line.

I mentioned the problem to tech support once when I was
calling regarding something else and he suggested changing
the com port speed down to 57600. I was set to maximum at
115200. Didn't help. But this sparked a memory.

I was BBS'ing in DOS before the internet and Windows and I
recalled that in the good old days that we used talk to the
modems directly to set it's parameters. No Windows "plug &
pray" to interfere and muck things up.

To make a long story short I went into my windows modem
setting and added extra commands to force the modem to
connect at a specific speed. I started low and worked my
way up till I started having problems again then dropped
back one. Now I connect as fast as my line noise will
allow without losing the connection.

If you have the knowledge you may want to try something
similar. It may simply be that your modem is trying to
connect at a speed higher than the phone line can
handle and it needs to be manually throttled back.

Snipola
I ventured up that way once, went to Knotts Berry Farm, saw Chuck Berry
play & do his *chicken walk*, back in 1980.

Knott's, been there, done that, got the T-shirt, many
times....used to work there.

Brian

Old November 28th 03, 03:15 AM
Don

"Skywise" wrote in message
. 77.206...
"Don" wrote in
:

[...]

Hey Brian,
I too, was pre-windows, doing BBS's back about 1992 or so.
But I have forgotten most of the modem language.
Can you enlighten me?
I changed modem setting from 115.2 to 57.6 and other speeds, but see little
difference.
Was with Earthlink for awhile but when I canceled it took a year to get them
to stop charging my AMEX card.
Let me know you're modem strings.
I'll be obligin' to ya!

Old November 28th 03, 03:15 AM
Don

"Skywise" wrote in message
. 77.206...
"Don" wrote in
:

Old November 29th 03, 09:00 AM
Skywise

"Don" wrote in
:

Snipola
Hey Brian,
I too, was pre-windows, doing BBS's back about 1992 or so.
But I have forgotten most of the modem language.
Can you enlighten me?
I changed modem setting from 115.2 to 57.6 and other speeds, but see
little difference.
Was with Earthlink for awhile but when I canceled it took a year to get
them to stop charging my AMEX card.
Let me know you're modem strings.
I'll be obligin' to ya!

Snipola

Ok, this is for an external USRobotics 56K Sporster
Fax Modem running on Windows 98se.

Go into Control Panel
double click "Modems"
highlight your modem
click on "Properties"
select the "Connection" tab
click on "Advanced"
in the box for "Extra settings" add the following codes...

&N27 &U26

These settings tell my modem to connect at only 41333.
The &N command sets the max speed and &U the min speed.

If you still have problems try reducing the values by
one until things work best (ie &N26 &U25).

When testing, I left the settings alone for a week at
a time so I could get a feel for if it was working
right before changing.

If these setting don't do anything or if your modem
is not the same, the command set may be different for
you. To see what it is launch Hyperterminal and without
making a connection, type in the commands "AT?" and/or
"AT&?". Most modems recognize these as help commands
and will list the command set. In my case it is a big
listing. Look for settings regarding maximum and//or
minimum connect rates.

I would think that when you install a modem the drivers
would install a special settings dialog and allow you
to make these settings easily, with point and click
gui.

Hope this helps (and makes sense!!).

Brian

Old November 29th 03, 01:04 PM
Don

Hey Brian, thanks alot, I'll give it a try.

"Skywise" wrote in message
. 77.206...
"Don" wrote in
:

Old November 29th 03, 01:04 PM
Don

Hey Brian, thanks alot, I'll give it a try.

"Skywise" wrote in message
. 77.206...
"Don" wrote in
:

[...]

From 2D to 3D to 4D: NASA Satellite imagery in 3 and 4 dimensions John Kavanagh Science 0 July 23rd 04 07:15 PM
French satellite surveillance system Allen Thomson Policy 1 May 20th 04 09:20 PM
Sedna (2003 VB12) Ron Astronomy Misc 1 March 19th 04 12:44 PM
how does a free Satellite TV plus $200 sound Gary Satellites 2 October 31st 03 06:30 AM
Chiral gravity of the Solar system Aleksandr Timofeev Astronomy Misc 0 August 13th 03 04:14 PM