NASA/DARPA Super Mars Rocket

Old October 25th 10, 11:20 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default NASA/DARPA Super Mars Rocket

Powered by microwaves or lasers from the ground...sounds a bit much from
a space agency that can't figure out how to get to the Moon on their budget:
http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/ar...rship/19683450
As to why something designed to fly around inside the solar system is
called a "starship" is something known only to the NASA PAO. :-D

Pat
Old October 25th 10, 11:34 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 10/25/2010 2:20 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:
Powered by microwaves or lasers from the ground...sounds a bit much from
a space agency that can't figure out how to get to the Moon on their
budget:
http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/ar...rship/19683450

As to why something designed to fly around inside the solar system is
called a "starship" is something known only to the NASA PAO. :-D

And while we're working on that, it's also time for the US to become
"Team America - Asteroid Police":
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/usmust...e advisersays
Since asteroids present a threat to the entire planet's surface, this
would be an ideal project for the UN to fund, with each country kicking
in funding in proportion to its total land area.
Try that one on for size, Putin. :-)

Old October 26th 10, 03:50 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Oct 25, 4:34*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

Since asteroids present a threat to the entire planet's surface, this
would be an ideal project for the UN to fund, with each country kicking
in funding in proportion to its total land area.
Try that one on for size, Putin. :-)

This would be a more serious issue for Canada... Russia has a
population of about 150 million people, but our country has one of
about 30 million.

John Savard
Old October 26th 10, 04:52 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 26/10/2010 9:20 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
Powered by microwaves or lasers from the ground...sounds a bit much from
a space agency that can't figure out how to get to the Moon on their
budget:

I think most people have lost faith in NASA by now. I personally am
waiting for private organisations to get there. I think privateers will
get there looooong before NASA does, more's the pitty.
Old October 26th 10, 02:26 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Allen Thomson

On Oct 25, 5:20*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

Powered by microwaves or lasers from the ground...

Sounds like some version of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam-powered_propulsion
..

As to why something designed to fly around inside the solar system is
called a "starship" is something known only to the NASA PAO. :-D

Well, the sun is a star, so I suppose the PAO could be cut some
slack. ;-)

Old October 26th 10, 06:46 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 10/25/2010 7:52 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:
On 26/10/2010 9:20 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
Powered by microwaves or lasers from the ground...sounds a bit much from
a space agency that can't figure out how to get to the Moon on their
budget:

I think most people have lost faith in NASA by now. I personally am
waiting for private organisations to get there. I think privateers will
get there looooong before NASA does, more's the pitty.

Privateers? Space pirates?
"Argh, raise the solar sail and clear the lasers fer action me hearties;
it's after the Frenchie's lunar freighter, her hold brimming with helium
3, that we go today. A double ration of Tang fer the first man that lays
a magnetic cable on her, and then back to old England for our split of
the prize money, and all the pretty wenches in London."
....but little did the crew of the "Lady Diana's Revenge" suspect that
the French were waiting for them, and that the freighter "Milady de
Winter" was as full of cunning tricks as her namesake. ;-)

Pat
Old October 26th 10, 10:07 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Gradual improvements on core capabilities are what's needed.

Consider the Michoud Assembly Facility run by Marshall Space Flight
Center

In the 1950s and 60s they worked on Saturns
http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/IMAGES/HIGH/6870792.jpg

In the 1970s they switched to External Tanks
http://mm04.nasaimages.org/MediaMana...n&profileid=41

These External Tanks using a design I cam up with become a building
block for a very large launcher as I describe here;

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30943696/ETDHLRLV

To support the development of solar power satellites that beam
infrared laser energy to 8,000 ground stations at the same time -
making enough money to support continued operation of the system by
generating a total of 10,000 MW and earning $4.38 billion per year per
satellite.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35439593/S...-Satellite-GEO

This power satellite can operate at GEO to produce 10,000 MW as
mentioned.

More advanced systems can be orbited nearer the Sun to produce 220,000
MW - upping revenue to $30 billion per year per satellite even while
reducing costs from $0.05 per kWh to $0.015 per kWh.

A 220,000 MW laser beam energizing a laser propelled rocket that
produces an exhaust speed of 22.44 km/sec produces 1,000 metric tons
force (the same produced in the ET derived rocket) - but reduces the
propellant fraction required to get to orbit (9.2 km/sec) to 0.337 or
263 metric tons of hydrogen alone. Allowing the 50 metric ton empty
vehicle carry 467 metric tons to orbit as a single stage vehicle!!

The same vehicle - when powered by laser rockets with 22.44 km/sec
exhaust speed can carry 315 metric tons to the moon and back or even
Mars and back using 415 metric tons of hydrogen in the same 50 metric
ton vehicle. This is the capability of laser rocket.

But we need to do things well regardless of the technology core.

Old October 26th 10, 11:58 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Oct 26, 11:46*am, Pat Flannery wrote:

Privateers? Space pirates?

Well, I think he just meant "private businessmen". Space piracy is
unlikely to be profitable. And things getting so messy in space that
Earth governments actually go to the length of issuing _letters of
marque_ by means of which people could be privateers rather than mere
pirates... not coming any time soon.

I think we can leave such things to Elizabeth Moon's novels about
Kylara Vatta for the time being.

John Savard
Old October 27th 10, 06:05 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

In sci.space.policy Quadibloc wrote:
On Oct 26, 11:46?am, Pat Flannery wrote:
Privateers? Space pirates?

Well, I think he just meant "private businessmen". Space piracy is
unlikely to be profitable. And things getting so messy in space that
Earth governments actually go to the length of issuing _letters of
marque_ by means of which people could be privateers rather than mere
pirates... not coming any time soon.

Since no terrestrial governments "own" (speaking legally rather than
practically) space wouldn't those letters of marque have to come from
the UN?-) Privateers would then be permitted to paint their ships that
lovely light blue color

rick jones
Old October 27th 10, 08:35 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Ian Parker