SunFlower math..

Old January 8th 05, 04:37 PM

Default SunFlower math..

Given
* the logitude and latitude of your position
*date
* time
How to calculate the azimuth and elevation of the Sun position ?

NOTE that it is possible to track the sun without knowing explicitly its
azimuth an elevation angles. I'm not interested in this. I'm looking for the
equations which will return the Sun's azimuth and elevation angles
corresponding to given date, time and location.

Old January 8th 05, 05:53 PM
Greg Neill

SunFlower wrote in message ...
Given
* the logitude and latitude of your position
*date
* time
How to calculate the azimuth and elevation of the Sun position ?

NOTE that it is possible to track the sun without knowing explicitly its
azimuth an elevation angles. I'm not interested in this. I'm looking for the
equations which will return the Sun's azimuth and elevation angles
corresponding to given date, time and location.

All the information you need to calculate this can be found in Astronomical
Algorithms by Jean Meeus.

I used that reference to write a BASIC program to calculate the
altitude and elevation of the Sun at the user's location at any
given date and time for an article in The Orrery newsletter, Issue
#41.

http://members.allstream.net/~gneill/orrery.html

Old January 9th 05, 03:58 AM

Dear Greg Heill,

Thank you very much for the references.
I'l try to find the "Astronomical Algorithms by Jean Meeus". And I'll also
try to find The Orrery newsletter, Issue #41.

Kind regards,

Miem Chan

miemchanATyahoo.com

#41.