Skylab EVA hatch?

Old December 12th 03, 08:23 PM
Pat Flannery

Default Skylab EVA hatch?

K Scotney wrote:

I'm sure I read somewhere that McDonnell Douglas had the contract to produce
the Skylab EVA hatch and that it was based on upon the proven Gemini hatch.

Anyone able to confirm (or indeed disprove this!) ?

Google strikes again! Skylab+Gemini+hatch=
http://www.io.com/~o_m/ssh_skylab_trainer_outside.html

Pat

Old December 12th 03, 08:34 PM
jeff findley

"K Scotney" writes:

I'm sure I read somewhere that McDonnell Douglas had the contract to produce
the Skylab EVA hatch and that it was based on upon the proven Gemini hatch.

Anyone able to confirm (or indeed disprove this!) ?

Google can ("Skylab EVA hatch Gemini"):

Courtesy of our favorite OM (the #1 hit on this search):
http://www.io.com/~o_m/ssh_skylab_trainer_outside.html

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old December 13th 03, 05:58 AM
OM

On 12 Dec 2003 15:34:31 -0500, jeff findley
wrote:

"K Scotney" writes:

I'm sure I read somewhere that McDonnell Douglas had the contract to produce
the Skylab EVA hatch and that it was based on upon the proven Gemini hatch.

Anyone able to confirm (or indeed disprove this!) ?

Google can ("Skylab EVA hatch Gemini"):

Courtesy of our favorite OM (the #1 hit on this search):
http://www.io.com/~o_m/ssh_skylab_trainer_outside.html

....Woo! We're Number One! We're Number One! :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old December 13th 03, 02:00 PM
Mike Flugennock

In article , "K Scotney"
wrote:

I'm sure I read somewhere that McDonnell Douglas had the contract to produce
the Skylab EVA hatch and that it was based on upon the proven Gemini hatch...

Actually, iirc, the SkyLab EVA hatch _was_ an actual, unflown, Gemini CM
hatch -- put there by design, of course, because it was a proven design,
not because some engineer came in one morning and noticed they had this
old Gemini hatch sitting around next to the coffee machine.

--
"All over, people changing their roles,
along with their overcoats;
Old December 13th 03, 03:11 PM
K Scotney

"Mike Flugennock" wrote in message
In article , "K Scotney"
wrote:

I'm sure I read somewhere that McDonnell Douglas had the contract to

produce
the Skylab EVA hatch and that it was based on upon the proven Gemini

hatch...

Actually, iirc, the SkyLab EVA hatch _was_ an actual, unflown, Gemini CM
hatch -- put there by design, of course, because it was a proven design,
not because some engineer came in one morning and noticed they had this
old Gemini hatch sitting around next to the coffee machine.

--
Mike Flugennock's Mikey'zine, dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org

Thanks everyone - I was sure I'd read this somewhere but just couldn't quite
get my head around how a Gemini hatch would integrate with Skylab - OM's
site sorted that!!

Cheers!

Old December 13th 03, 07:11 PM
OM

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:11:38 -0000, "K Scotney"
wrote:

Thanks everyone - I was sure I'd read this somewhere but just couldn't quite
get my head around how a Gemini hatch would integrate with Skylab - OM's
site sorted that!!

....Thanks. I'm still looking for more photos of the early assembly of
the ATM and Airlock sections. That one photo isn't all that clear even
with my enhancement tricks, and getting some closeup shots -
especially from the inside - would be a nice addition. However, the
way the Trainer is exhibited, you can't even see inside the Airlock
Module at all. Great exhibit, but it could be displayed a lot better
with an additional observation balcony. One of these days I'll do a
rendering showing where they should put that balcony, and where
another viewing port needs to be added.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old December 13th 03, 07:21 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Andrew Gray wrote:
OOI, why did they have one? There weren't any unflown Geminis around to
cannibalise; were surplus hatches originally purchased as spare parts?

There weren't any unflown flight-rated Geminis, but there were ground test
articles, and probably spare parts, and for that matter, the hatches from
most of the flown Geminis still worked...
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old December 13th 03, 08:42 PM
Hallerb

Put there by design and because they had one... Skylab was very much
a shoestring project.

Must of been 2 remember that flight certified skyl;ab in the smithsonian?